Having trouble deleting a large number of items I have repeated.

mwilday

Dec 29, 2009, 11:54:00 AM12/29/09
to GQueues
I created a queue for repeating items, with items that I have repeated
50 times to manage daily chores. I have tried repeatedly to delete
items off of this calendar but it keeps giving me the shucks error and
resetting the old items I have deleted. I am running firefox btw. Is
there another way to select and delete multiple items? What should I
do?

Mike

Cameron (GQueues Team)

Dec 29, 2009, 6:11:39 PM12/29/09
to gqu...@googlegroups.com, mikew...@gmail.com
Mike,

Sorry you're experiencing problems deleting items.  I took a look at the logs and it seems the deletes are failing because of "transaction" collisions.  Without getting too technical, here's what's going on:

When you delete an item, GQueues re-numbers all the other items in that queue.  It does this in a "transaction" which basically freezes all those items, so nothing else can update them while the renumbering is happening.  If another request comes along asking to update the items while the previous "transaction" is still processing, the new request must wait until the first request is finished.  If it has to wait too long, then it just fails.

So if you click the delete button real quick on lots of items, these requests start to pile up because they can't be processed fast enough and then they just fail.

There is a solution to this problem (probably several), and some workarounds too:

1.  (solution) I create some way in GQueues to select multiple items and a button to "delete all selected items."  That way only one request is sent with all the items to be deleted.  This would be ideal, but I won't have time to implement it for several weeks.

2. (workaround) - Wait a second or two in between each time you click the delete button.  This gives each delete request time to process.

3. (workaround) - Move the items you want to KEEP into a different queue, and then just delete the entire queue that has all the items you want to delete.

Hopefully one of the workarounds will get you going again while you wait on me to get an optimal solution in place.

-Cameron

Mike Wilday

Dec 29, 2009, 6:16:24 PM12/29/09
to Cameron (GQueues Team), gqu...@googlegroups.com

Jen P

Jan 19, 2010, 5:51:13 PM1/19/10
to GQueues
May I add onto the "solution that won't happen for several weeks"?

Selecting multiple items and a general list of Bulk Tasks like
Assign Tag...
Move to Queue...(incl Create New?)
Mark Complete

Am I missing anything?

Thanks Cameron! GQs is very GQ!

Jen P

Jan 25, 2010, 11:12:53 AM1/25/10
to GQueues
Mike,

I found a way around this. If you delete from the most recent first it
doesn't have to renumber. For example I had 30 recurring tasks that I
wanted to get rid of and I just started with number 30 and worked my
way up. It was super fast and no crashing.

On Dec 29 2009, 11:54 am, mwilday <mikewil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I created a queue for repeating items, with items that I have repeated
> 50 times to manage daily chores. I have tried repeatedly to delete
> items off of this calendar but it keeps giving me the shucks error and
> resetting the old items I have deleted. I am running firefox btw. Is

> there another way toselectand delete multiple items? What should I
> do?
>
> Mike

Cameron (GQueues Team)

Jan 25, 2010, 3:23:17 PM1/25/10
to gqu...@googlegroups.com, whatje...@gmail.com
I think I may have responded to a different post regarding this issue as well, but I have released a fix so that you can now delete items or mark them complete/open in rapid succession and those actions will persist.

Also I have added "modifying multiple items at a time" to my list of features to work on.  Thanks for the good suggestion.

-Cameron

> do?
>
> Mike

Andrew Clark

Jun 29, 2016, 10:56:30 AM6/29/16
to GQueues Discussion Forum, whatje...@gmail.com, cam...@gqueues.com
I have this problem too, but with over 11,000 (mostly overdue) tasks in my Inbox after merging my old 'daily tasks' Google Calendar into GQueues' calendar, due to the large number of repeated meetings and tasks there! :-/

I can't even show my Inbox now, as the script crashes, but wouldn't want to have to delete them all from the bottom of the list up to the top... Is there any way to bulk select and mark complete/archive, or even bulk select and move to a temp queue that I can ignore/archive?

Yours in (desperate) hope...

Andrew.

Cameron (GQueues Team)

Jun 29, 2016, 4:34:46 PM6/29/16
to GQueues Discussion Forum
Hi Andrew -

GQueues does not support taking actions on tasks in bulk at this point.  I'll email you directly with options on how we can clean up the 11,000 unwanted tasks.

-Cameron
--
Cameron Henneke
Founder, GQueues

"The leading Google-integrated task management service for people and teams."