Saved setting (config file entry?) for Deviation, Tau

Andy Webster

Jan 1, 2017, 12:36:13 PM1/1/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hi all,

Another query from me regarding weather satellite reception... Is there any way in GQRX to save a Deviation (i.e. APT, 20 kHz) and Tau (i.e. Off) such that it is recalled on starting GQRX? Come to think of it, a user setting of the filter bandwidth is required as well... I've not seen these parameters in bookmarks or in the config files I've played with. I'm using GQRX for a school project on satellites and having these parameters set ready to go for apt satellites on startup would be a significant benefit.

Is anyone doing this already by any method?

Thanks,
Andy G7UHN

Robin Gape

Jan 1, 2017, 6:38:43 PM1/1/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Andy, group,

the filter parameters are not saved at all in the config file. So for AM, for instance, there are 4 choices, including user set, but all that appears in the config file is the mode and offset. The bandwidth, shape factor, and any other demodulation-related parameters do not appear to be saved.

In regards to the remote control interface, a parameter has very recently been added to allow setting passband width (but not shape), see https://github.com/csete/gqrx/blob/master/resources/remote-control.txt. One strongly suspects that it may not have made it in to the repository version yet.

The bookmarks do record, and set, the bandwidth, but no shape factor or any modulation parameter other than the basic mode USB, FM, CW-L &c. Nor do the bookmarks record any receiver options.

As far as one can see, nothing records the gain settings. These may be critical, especially in strong signal areas with wideband equipment when gain must be carefully set to achieve good dynamic range without overload, according to received frequency range.

It would be very good to record these parameters, perhaps selectively, in bookmarks or elsewhere. Should I make a feature request on either GQRX or GQRX's successor?

Robin, G8DQX

Alexandru Csete

Jan 2, 2017, 1:32:59 PM1/2/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 12:38 AM, 'Robin Gape' via Gqrx SDR
<gq...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> It would be very good to record these parameters, perhaps selectively, in
> bookmarks or elsewhere. Should I make a feature request on either GQRX or
> GQRX's successor?

Every parameter related to the state of the application should be
restored between sessions and everything related to receiving a
station should be stored in a bookmark. There are many reasons why
this is not the case, partly because of prioritizing available
resources.

Please do open an issue on github. Although a github issue is no
guarantee for anything to be implemented, it will at least be recorded
and indicate what features users care about. Also, if a potential
contributor comes around looking for something to work on it is much
more likely that they will look in the Github issue tracker than the
mail archives.

Alex

Andy Webster

Jan 3, 2017, 6:28:00 PM1/3/17
to Gqrx SDR
Robin, thanks for clarifying what is available.  I've raised a feature request on github for my specific need for settings related to APT reception (https://github.com/csete/gqrx/issues/473) because hopefully this is a quicker thing to address than the bigger picture of all settings and folding that into bookmarks.  Obviously the more flexibility there is around this kind of functionality the better but I can see the addition of it into bookmarks could make a lot of GUI changes required.

Andy

Alexandru Csete

Jan 7, 2017, 12:59:23 PM1/7/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I have just committed some code that implements restoring the
filter width and the FM parameters between sessions.

Andy, I suppose you need a build for the RPI3 before you can test it?

Alex

Andy Webster

Jan 7, 2017, 1:06:42 PM1/7/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I can test quite quickly on my regular PC.  I'll have a look tonight.  Thanks for jumping on it :-)

Alexandru Csete

Jan 7, 2017, 1:30:34 PM1/7/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Ok, cool. I also have some other changes in the pipeline that should
improve FM reception. I hope to have them done by the end of the
weekend.

Alex
> gqrx+uns...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_d0Ekw0Vwgd0cnxKMUMGte%3DR0krpN%3Dbe6cMNi7WG%3DRi_Q%40mail.gmail.com.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAKVx8WfJCw4kFHa229XVoAZgKnrkGnuw_wJgO7ig_xSvfvSLCQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Andy Webster

Jan 8, 2017, 3:47:22 AM1/8/17
to Gqrx SDR
I've hit the limit of my experience with compiling from source... (obviously I've only ever installed gqrx from the ppa)

After a bit of pain getting Qt Creator up and running with Qt5, when trying to build the project Qt Creator is complaining that it can't find main.cpp, screenshot attached.  How do I correct where it's looking or am I completely down the wrong track?

Andy

Alexandru Csete

Jan 8, 2017, 4:13:49 AM1/8/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Andy Webster <andywe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've hit the limit of my experience with compiling from source... (obviously I've only ever installed gqrx from the ppa)
>
> After a bit of pain getting Qt Creator up and running with Qt5, when trying to build the project Qt Creator is complaining that it can't find main.cpp, screenshot attached. How do I correct where it's looking or am I completely down the wrong track?

Have you installed the -dev packages?

gnuradio-dev (>=3.7),
gr-osmosdr,
libsoapysdr-dev,
libasound2-dev,
libboost-dev,
libboost-program-options-dev,
libboost-system-dev,
libfftw3-dev,
libgsl0-dev,
liblog4cpp5-dev,
libpulse-dev,
libqt5svg5-dev,
libudev-dev [linux-any],
pkg-config,
qt5-qmake,
qtbase5-dev,
qtbase5-dev-tools,
qtchooser

Alex

Andy Webster

Jan 14, 2017, 10:53:32 AM1/14/17
to Gqrx SDR
Aha, great, a few were missing and that's got me up and running :-)

That works for me, this version now remembers the FM settings and remote control enabled setting between sessions. That's a great improvement for my students (and for me!). I'll carry on playing with this version tonight through a few other listening scenarios just in case.

Thanks for the quick response,

Andy G7UHN

Alexandru Csete

Jan 14, 2017, 11:40:31 AM1/14/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Andy. I'm glad to hear that it works. Let me
know if you need a binary executable for RPI2 or 3. I can build it
quite easily.

Alex

Andy Webster

Jan 14, 2017, 11:45:39 AM1/14/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
That would be great if it's not too much trouble, that'll make restarting the weather receiver a much quicker job.

Andy G7UHN

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Andy Webster <andywe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aha, great, a few were missing and that's got me up and running :-)
>
> That works for me, this version now remembers the FM settings and remote control enabled setting between sessions.  That's a great improvement for my students (and for me!).  I'll carry on playing with this version tonight through a few other listening scenarios just in case.
>
> Thanks for the quick response,
>
> Andy G7UHN

Andy Webster

Jan 14, 2017, 11:50:17 AM1/14/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Oh, RPi 3 is my platform for the weather receiver btw.

Thanks,

And

Alexandru Csete

Jan 14, 2017, 12:08:58 PM1/14/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Ok, but let me know when you need it. Do you want it now?

Alex

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_d8U3ab6biQeQSduJ_4JH9nQijTz42ZPdFp7AiO70E%3Dag%40mail.gmail.com.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAKVx8We0i7Rf0KUebo5T6rOxPSdxtbDrVVo-QjBZxMkkVsa_2A%40mail.gmail.com.

Andy Webster

Jan 14, 2017, 12:46:29 PM1/14/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
If it's no trouble I can make use of it straight away but I'm coping without it :-)