Gqrx does nothing (Fresh Install) What am I doing wrong?

Hellman_x

Dec 25, 2017, 1:52:03 AM12/25/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hi,

I just installed following this YouTube guide: http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pr319FvOwI

I followed step by step with no errors until i got to the readme file (which is updated and completely different).

I did both of the sudo apt-get's with no errors, as well as the volk...  then i get to the soapy_sdr_root...  it says it's included (which i can see that) and has no plugins (okay? so what?) then it says to build your own plugins...  I have no clue what it wants me to do. does it want me to program something up??  then it wants me to open up that soap program, which doesn't open either.  Then if I ever got the soap program to run i would have to tell it where to look for what ever plugins I need.

Then this step:...?
"Finally, to enable user access to rtlsdr, Airspy, Funcube Dongle or
HackRF you need to copy the apropriate udev rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/
before plugging in your device. For example:

sudo cp udev/rtl-sdr.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/"

What??

I am using Ubuntu MATE on Raspberry Pi3 Model B
Keep in mind i'm mostly a novice when it comes to linux.
I am a 100% Windows user.  looking to learn linux.

So, basically try to spoon feed me info i guess :P

Thanks!

Alexandru Csete

Dec 25, 2017, 5:33:15 AM12/25/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hellman,

The packaging and thereby the instructions have changed since that
video was made. It's much simpler today, all you need to do is
download, unpack and then copy the appropriate udev rule into your
system:
http://gqrx.dk/download/gqrx-sdr-for-the-raspberry-pi

So, you should start over and only follow one instruction. It will be
easier to help.

Alex

Willi Rauschenberg

Jan 6, 2018, 8:09:57 AM1/6/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alex,
I have the same situation as described by Hellmann. I followed Your advise and still cannot not finalize the installation.. I am struggling with copying the
udev rule into my system (PI 3 - with Raspbian). I get the following prompt in german:
cp: der Aufruf von stat für 'udev /rtl-sdr.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/'  ist nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
which in english means that I cannot copy as the file or directory does not exist.

I am also absolutely new to Linux and say sorry in advance for a maybe silly question..

Willi:

Alexandru Csete

Jan 6, 2018, 9:19:42 AM1/6/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 2:09 PM, Willi Rauschenberg
<willi.rau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
> I have the same situation as described by Hellmann. I followed Your advise
> and still cannot not finalize the installation.. I am struggling with
> copying the
> udev rule into my system (PI 3 - with Raspbian). I get the following prompt
> in german:
> cp: der Aufruf von stat für 'udev /rtl-sdr.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/' ist

Hi Willi,

There shouldn't be any space between "udev" and "/rtl-sdr.rules", ie.
the command is

sudo cp udev/rtl-sdr.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/

Alex

Francisco

Jan 17, 2018, 5:50:33 PM1/17/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hi guys,

I am running linux as well and I don't get to hear anything. I bought an RTL-SDR dongle. The rtl_test command indicates the device is working and sampling as it should.

When I start GQRX, I get a crash report unless I choose Device:Other and Device String:driver=sdrplay,soapy=0. Are these the right settings? I can't seem to find any documentation on it.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Alexander Fasching

Jan 17, 2018, 5:52:06 PM1/17/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Please send the full crash report.

On 01/17/2018 11:50 PM, Francisco wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am running linux as well and I don't get to hear anything. I bought an
> RTL-SDR dongle. The rtl_test command indicates the device is working and
> sampling as it should.
>
> When I start GQRX, I get a crash report unless I choose Device:Other and
> Device String:driver=sdrplay,soapy=0. Are these the right settings? I
> can't seem to find any documentation on it.
>
> I appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 1:52:03 AM UTC-5, Hellman_x wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just installed following this YouTube guide:
> http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pr319FvOwI
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pr319FvOwI>
>
> I followed step by step with no errors until i got to the readme
> file (which is updated and completely different).
>
> I did both of the sudo apt-get's with no errors, as well as the
> volk...  then i get to the soapy_sdr_root...  it says it's included
> (which i can see that) and has no plugins (okay? so what?) then it
> says to build your own plugins...  I have no clue what it wants me
> to do. does it want me to program something up??  then it wants me
> to open up that soap program, which doesn't open either.  Then if I
> ever got the soap program to run i would have to tell it where to
> look for what ever plugins I need.
>
> Then this step:...?
> "Finally, to enable user access to rtlsdr, Airspy, Funcube Dongle or
> HackRF you need to copy the apropriate udev rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/
> before plugging in your device. For example:
>
> sudo cp udev/rtl-sdr.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/"
>
> What??
>
> I am using Ubuntu MATE on Raspberry Pi3 Model B
> Keep in mind i'm mostly a novice when it comes to linux.
> I am a 100% Windows user.  looking to learn linux.
>
> So, basically try to spoon feed me info i guess :P
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/f77ce9ca-256d-4b9d-b97f-7a1842ef75e3%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/f77ce9ca-256d-4b9d-b97f-7a1842ef75e3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alexandru Csete

Jan 18, 2018, 7:37:41 AM1/18/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:50 PM, Francisco <vall...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am running linux as well and I don't get to hear anything. I bought an
> RTL-SDR dongle. The rtl_test command indicates the device is working and
> sampling as it should.
>
> When I start GQRX, I get a crash report unless I choose Device:Other and
> Device String:driver=sdrplay,soapy=0. Are these the right settings? I can't
> seem to find any documentation on it.

If yo have an RTL-SDR dongle you should select the device called
"Realtek RTL...."-sonething. SDRPlay is a different device and Idon't
understand why it is show.

Alex