mac os mavericks gqrx 2.6 crashes on startup

franka...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2016, 8:05:33 AM12/27/16
to Gqrx SDR
I have been running gqrx on my linux box for while with  cinergy TStickC r3 successfully.  I would like to use the program on my macbook pro (vintage early 2008) running mac os 10.9.5.  I have installed the driver(s) for the cinergy stick.  When I start the app a window appears saying my configuration is wrong. Do I want to change it.  When I click yes the whole thing crashes and a new window opnes with  a crash report to be sent to apple.  See attached screenshot.

I hope someone in the group can help me find a solution.

best 73's
David DM3BC
Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 14.02.51.png

Alexandru Csete

Dec 27, 2016, 11:48:28 AM12/27/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Gqrx was built on Mac OS X 10.11 and unlikely to work on earlier
versions. Sorry, but I simply do not have the resources to support god
knows how many version of Mac OS X in addition to the god knows how
many versions of linux we already support.

The only way this will change is if somebody comes and helps me with
this, but it doesn't look like it will happen.

There is the option to try macports or homebrew but I recall another
message from few days ago with problems with macports also.

Alex

David Widmayer

Dec 28, 2016, 3:07:55 PM12/28/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Alex!

Thanks for the fast answer. I understand. It's a lot of work, only for
the glory. I am rather loathe to upgrade to os 10.11 because I have an
old Macbook Pro (vintage early 2008) and as the saying goes, "never
touch a running system." I upgraded to Mavericks in order to run my
USB 3.0 add-on to the express port. I tried upgrading to the next newer
OS, but then the USB 3.0 ports didn't work anymore. Like you, I couldn't
divert resources to trouble shoot the problem. Fortunately I had a full
back up and could restore the Mavericks. I also don't think OS 10.11
will be of much use to my Macbook Pro because of the old hardware. I am
organizing my Macbook Pro (the only laptop I own now) to take to field
days and thought an SDR radio would compliment my application suite. I
will look for another SDR app for my Mac. Do you have a suggestion?
I do use gqrx on my home linux box, and I think it works very well.
Thank you for making it possible!

Best 73's
David DM3BC
--
Technology will not save us. We have to change the way we live.

Matthew Chambers

Dec 28, 2016, 3:11:51 PM12/28/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I've installed every macports gcc and clang compiler and was able to install all dependencies except gr-osmosdr and gqrx itself. I'm stuck now with lots of errors that I'm not able to track down exact causes. Any other options for running my SDR on my iMac running OSX 10.7.5

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/b60b8e5c-bb6d-451f-821b-8ef64b7c7938%40googlegroups.com.

Technology will not save us.  We have to change the way we live.

Alexandru Csete

Dec 28, 2016, 4:05:50 PM12/28/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I have a Macbook Pro from 2010. It runs Mac OS X 10.11 quite well, in
particular since I have replaced the disk with an SSD. Gqrx runs on it
quite all right, but the performance does not blow me away. I suspect
any Mac older than that may not be able to run gqrx well.

Alex