Latest version of Gqrx that will work on MacPro (early 2009)

Peter Cornell g4tbi

Feb 6, 2018, 9:05:22 AM2/6/18
to Gqrx SDR
Gqrx-2.9-1 crashes when I try to run it on my MacPro (early 2009) with El Capitan.

It will run o.k. on a Mac Mini with Sierra and a MacBookPro with El Capitan.  Both of these Macs are later and are not subect to the same O/S upgrade limit as the MacPro (early 2009)

The latest operating system that can run on the MacPro is El Capitan, which, I understand may be a hardware or firmware limitation.

Since Gqrx-2.9-1 runs o.k. on the later Macs, I wonder whether the problem is some kind of incompatibility problem with the MacPro?

I have a copy of Gqrx 2.5.2-3 which appears to work o.k. on the MacPro.

Has anyone else had problems running later versions of Gqrx on a MacPro (early 2009)?

What is the latest version that will run o.k. and how do I obtain a copy?

I am new to Gqrx.

Peter 6 February 2018

Alexandru Csete

Feb 6, 2018, 3:28:32 PM2/6/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I build on Mac OS X El Capitan so that version of the OS is supported,
but I think there is problem with Mac Pro because it does not have a
default audio device. I think this issue is about this topic:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/issues/324

Feel free to browse the other open issues on github. You can filter on
"osx" label. Unfortunately, there is nobody at the moment who can help
me support this OS, so either it works or it doesn't.

Alex

Alexandru Csete

Feb 6, 2018, 3:40:09 PM2/6/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com

> What is the latest version that will run o.k. and how do I obtain a copy?

All previous versions are available here:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/releases

Alex

Tudor Vedeanu

Feb 18, 2018, 9:36:21 AM2/18/18
to Gqrx SDR
marți, 6 februarie 2018, 22:28:32 UTC+2, Alexandru Csete a scris:

Feel free to browse the other open issues on github. You can filter on
"osx" label. Unfortunately, there is nobody at the moment who can help
me support this OS, so either it works or it doesn't.

What kind of help do you need? I'm not a programmer but I'm a Mac user with an Airspy HF+ and a RPS1a and willing to help if I can. :)

Tudor

Alexandru Csete

Feb 18, 2018, 12:09:24 PM2/18/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I need somebody to take the source code for each release and build a
Mac OS X bundle that works. This includes building and bundling the
dependencies and this is where things usually fall apart. It's been so
hopeless that I decided it's better to just rewrite the whole damn
thing to have less dependencies, so that's what I am doing now. Will
still be interested in somebody to do packaging and act as "first line
of defense" on Mac OS X.

Alex

Parsifal

May 22, 2018, 12:13:30 PM5/22/18
to Gqrx SDR
Alex,

I might be able to help. I've done a lot of coding on the Mac/XQuartz, although the only language I know is vanilla C. I also owned a signal-processing company, so I know a little about radio communications. I can try. The worst that can happen is I'll clobber my operating system, again.

righthal...@gmail.com

May 22, 2018, 5:09:54 PM5/22/18
to Gqrx SDR
      Alex,

      I have been building Gqrx using Macports for a few years. It often fails to build because one of the dependencies fails - then after a few weeks or months, it will build again. Macports wants you to rebuild things every few weeks. Are you doing a build directly from the sources ? At the gnuradio-for-mac-without-macports website, they have a monster script that automatically grabs and builds everything for gnuradio - it seems like by adding a couple more lines to the script, it could be used to create Gqrx. I have not tried it yet, but I was thinking about it.

   Dale.