cannot install Gqrx on Ubuntu 12.04 LTE (precise)

Gaston Schelotto

Jul 12, 2016, 6:49:31 AM7/12/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hi,

I've followed the steps to Install Gqrx SDR on Ubuntu but the sudo apt-get update returns some errors:

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/gqrx/gqrx-sdr/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/source/Sources  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/gqrx/gqrx-sdr/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/gqrx/gqrx-sdr/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
gaston@gaston-XPS13:~$

Any hints to solve this issue?

regards,
gaston

Alexandru Csete

Jul 12, 2016, 11:01:44 AM7/12/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gaston,

As the page says, we only have packages for Ubutnu 14.04 and up

Alex

Robin Gape

Jul 12, 2016, 12:05:11 PM7/12/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Gaston,

following on from Alex's reply, there are two straightforward—but not simple—options that one might consider:

1) install a fresh copy of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on what is presumably a Dell XPS-13. If you've already left a spare partition on the SSD, then use that. If there's no spare partition, then you could install a minimal Ubuntu desktop to a memory stick, depending on the amount of memory.

2) compile GQRX as noted at https://github.com/csete/gqrx/blob/master/README.md#installation-from-source, however, since the OS is 12.04 the necessary GNU Radio 3.7 is probably not readily available as a package. The PyBOMBS script (http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/pybombs/wiki) will, correctly configured, provide the latest versions of both GNU Radio and GQRX. [Disclaimer: I have not used this script, other people have reported success with it]

Neither process is recommended for the faint-hearted, and 2) is not recommended if you are not familiar with compiling, unless one wishes to learn the dark arts of compilation.

Good luck,

Robin, G8DQX