RTL SDR is not appearing in device List

Priyasloka Arya

Mar 8, 2017, 3:08:10 AM3/8/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hello Friends,
I tried to find the query to my answer in group and web but could not get satisfactory answers. I am not sure if it is discussed in group before, if yes you could point out.
I have been using Kali Linux preloaded with GQRX and i was able to use RTL SDR Dongles.

I have transitioned to Ubuntu  14.04 LTS and installed GQRX. I have followed
http://zr6aic.blogspot.in/2014/10/how-to-install-gqrx-sdr-software-on.html and other links. The issue is in the device list i could see limited devices(photo is attached). However in gnuradio, i could see all (FCD,RTL SDR) devices(indicating osmocom gnu blocks are installed properly) and works well.

I am stuck and could not use RTL SDR in GQRX in Ubuntu. Could you help...
Many Regards
Priyasloka

GQRX.png

Alexandru Csete

Mar 8, 2017, 3:31:49 AM3/8/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
So, you device string already says "rtl=0" ... why do you think it is
not working? Did you try running it?

Also, if you need help in the future please be sure to mention that
you are running linux in a virtual machine. Many of us do not wish to
waste time trying to debug setups that involve virtual machines.

Good luck

Alex

Robin Gape

Mar 8, 2017, 7:24:33 AM3/8/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Adding to what Alex has said, running USB through a VM adds an extra layer of:

  • performance issues, since each USB transaction is being double handled, which is a serious real-time issue at fast data rates
  • debugging uncertainty, since when things fail, it's not so obvious where the failure might be (is USB handling failing on the native OS or on the OS hosted on the VM, for instance?)

To avoid both of those issues, you should try running Ubuntu directly, installing to:

  • a new partition on an existing hard disk, or
  • a new partition on a new internal hard disk, or
  • a USB connected hard disk, or
  • a USB connected memory stick

In other words, the VM makes things needlessly difficult, and there are fairly easy ways to avoid needing to use a VM.

Good luck,

Robin, G8DQX

Priyasloka Arya

Mar 8, 2017, 7:49:45 AM3/8/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex/Robin for your insights, i appreciate.

It is correct that the screen shot is from virtual machine(vmware). I have tried the same setup in ubuntuMate(without VM). I would dig more and will post my setup screenshots from UbuntuMate setup.

Regards
Priyasloka