Trouble installing on Fedora

docame12

Jun 20, 2016, 8:18:33 AM6/20/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hello, I am new to this group and GQRX!

I recently installed Fedora 21, x86_64, and Gnuradio on my HP desktop. The reason for F21 is because of certain issues that cause problems with running simple_ra by Marcus Leech. I also want GQRX for narrow nand work and just for plain old SWLing. I am using the RealTech dvb-t & rtl-sdr realtek rtl2832u for harware.

The trouble is, installation keeps stopping. With much help, I managed to get some issues cleared. But, most recently I am stopped at the following when invoking cmake ..

"

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:108 (find_package):
  By not providing "FindGnuradio-osmosdr.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this
  project has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
  "Gnuradio-osmosdr", but CMake did not find one.

  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Gnuradio-osmosdr"
  with any of the following names:

    Gnuradio-osmosdrConfig.cmake
    gnuradio-osmosdr-config.cmake

  Add the installation prefix of "Gnuradio-osmosdr" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or
  set "Gnuradio-osmosdr_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above
  files.  If "Gnuradio-osmosdr" provides a separate development package or
  SDK, be sure it has been installed.

See also "/home/dave/gqrx/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
[dave@localhost build]$ "

Anybody have any clues?
Thanks in advance!

Dave

Robin Gape

Jun 20, 2016, 9:58:35 AM6/20/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

we really need more information to be able accurately to debug your problem. It initially looks as if you have probably:
1) installed Fedora 21 on a 64 bit intel machine (N.B. F21 is now End of Life since December 2015, and thus not getting security updates https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/End_of_life)

2A) installed GNU Radio from some RPM. If GNU Radio was installed from an RPM, then that version is likely not to be compatible with the latest stable GQRX version. Or,
2B) installed GNU Radio as part of the installation script for simple RA (http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio). Or,
2C) used a Pybombs script to build GNU Radio (https://github.com/gnuradio/pybombs). Or,
2D) Done something else!
What the error message is saying is that the necessary header files are not present to allow for compilation of GQRX. In case 2A, then installing the associated gnuradio-devel RPM should allow further progress to be made. In Case 2B one presumes that, if successful, the header files will be produced and retained—the script author rather rations the use of comments. Case 2C is what many people would recommend to get GNU Radio and GQRX available if compilation is required. If 2D applies, then see earlier!

The reader of your message does not know what script file was being run when the errors occurred. (The GQRX GitHub README describes several options when using cmake, or some other script may have been employed, as in 2C.

Warning It is very difficult to place a package such as a GQRX RPM on top of a locally compiled version of GNU Radio.

Suggestion The latest stable versions of GNU Radio & GQRX are available in Ubuntu repositories. The installation is generally fuss-free. If the development packages are also installed (-dev) then compilation of programs which link to them is readily possible. (One may prefer, for whatever reasons, to stick with Fedora, of course)

Good luck,

Robin, G8DQX

docame

Jun 20, 2016, 10:14:35 AM6/20/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
THanks for your response, Robin.

Gnuradio and simple_ra were both installed from the latest source code as per Marcus Leech. F21 was chosen as the last really stable version of Fedora (regardless of the new releases). Gqrx installation wwas atempted using:

cd gqrx
mkdir build
cmake ..

cmake was as far as I got before getting the errors.

TIA,
Dave

David M. Ocame

Robin Gape

Jun 20, 2016, 11:40:31 AM6/20/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

since I gave up compiling GQRX some years ago one may be a little rusty. It looks as if the GQRX cmakefile (https://github.com/csete/gqrx/blob/24e414f952aaf5ed7063e7a98c46c3d8373bad9b/CMakeLists.txt) is failing to find a cmakefile for osmosdr. This may mean that:
  • osmosdr was not compiled as part of GNU Radio (seems unlikely), or
  • osmosdr was compiled, and is present, but the cmake script has not picked it up, perhaps because of a difference in spelling, or it's looking in the wrong place

Assuming the second, then this may be of some help to you https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:How_To_Find_Libraries. The actual debugging of paths &c. I am only too happy to leave up to your good self!

In you shoes, and wishing to stick with Fedora, one might either:

a) install a development environment in to a Fedora 21 VM (virtual machine) for debugging purposes, or

b) place an installation of Fedora 21 in to a separate partition for debugging purposes
Either way, such an arrangement would allow one to debug the build problem without affecting the main installation which is presumably also in day-to-day use. Failed compilations can leave all sorts of junk hanging around, even using make clean.

HTH

Robin, G8DQX

docame

Jun 20, 2016, 12:48:06 PM6/20/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Robin. All good advice. I will take a look. I think it is looking for gnuradio-osmodr. I don't see a file named that, specifically. I do see a file named gr-osmodr. So, you may be right in that instance. I just need to consider the best way of going about it. Maybe the simplest workaround is to just make a copy of gr-osmodr and rename it gnuradio-osmodr and leave it in home folder. Not sure. I'll look at your other suggestions first while I think about that.

Thank you!

David M. Ocame

David Ranch

Jun 20, 2016, 2:08:03 PM6/20/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Hello Dave,

My Centos6 instructions for GnuRadio and Gqrx might help you:

http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#42.sdr

--David
KI6ZHD

Alexandru Csete

Jun 20, 2016, 2:11:58 PM6/20/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Gqrx requires the gnuradio-osmosdr package, also called gr-osmosdr
http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/GrOsmoSDR

Once correctly installed, cmake should be able to find it.

Alex
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAP7zuV9U7sP%2BR7pSS%2BktrS%3DNj-it_SGd_%2BC-G1m8%2BYmF9PYAww%40mail.gmail.com.

docame12

Jun 21, 2016, 12:26:41 PM6/21/16
to Gqrx SDR
THank you all. I got it working, finally. The  key was suggested by one of you (I can't find that post, unfortunately). I had bits of stuff from the system installation of GQRX provided with F21. I did a thorough cleaning and much thanks also to Marcus Leech, who held my hand though all of this, as well. Then, re-installing from source and all is well.

Thank you all again!