v 2,.8 freezing in Ubuntu 16.04

coupdemistral

Oct 5, 2017, 8:02:39 PM10/5/17
to Gqrx SDR
I just installed on a new machine (I am successfully running previous versions of Gqrx on another machine with Ubuntu 14 and on a Mac) and the program freezes upon launching the DSP Processing.

- running Ubuntu 16.04
- installed using instructions here
- using Funcube Dongle v2_0 (same as used on other machines successfully)
- when I hit the DSP processing icon, the green dB meeter shoots up to the end of scale and then nothing happens (no sound, no waterfall etc.)
- no errors reported in logs, except when I click on the DSP Prcessor, the log displays a running sequence of
aONo audio FFT data.
aOaONo audio FFT data.
aONo audio FFT data.
aONo audio FFT data.
upon clicking to stop DSP, the output turns into a running sequence of aOaOaOaOaOaOa...

- I have seen other threads that talk about how 16.10 is not supported, but I understand 16.04 should be. I have also gone back and tried the same dongle on my other Ubuntu and Mac and it works fine.

I appreciate anyone's help on this. This machine is destined to a boat that is leaving soon for an ocean cruise, so i hope I can get it to work!

Alexandru Csete

Oct 6, 2017, 3:33:51 AM10/6/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

All released and supported versions of Ubuntu should work using the
PPA, i.e. up to and including 17.04. Only USRPs do not work since
16.10.

Since you are using a Funcube Dongle Pro+ (V2) on a different PC
hardware, a safe guess is that it is the known "USB bandwidth" limit
bug you run into:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/issues/91

You can try different USB ports and you could also try the latest Ubuntu 17.04.

Alex

coupdemistral

Oct 6, 2017, 1:06:10 PM10/6/17
to Gqrx SDR
Thanks Alex
Indeed, I get the bandwidth error when I run dmesg.
I tried all the ports available but no joy. I may just bite the bullet and upgrade to Ubuntu 17.04

Alexandru Csete

Oct 6, 2017, 2:42:25 PM10/6/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that it will help. Ubuntu 16.04
has already a rather new kernel 4.10 if you enable the HWE stack, see:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

You may as well try that first.

Alex