(HackRF) FATAL: setupStream invalid channel selection

daxd...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2017, 9:46:31 PM11/9/17
to Gqrx SDR

Hello, all. I have a HackRF that works fine with ordinary GNU Radio Companion, but fails to work with gqrx in any capacity, on the same system.
  • Your operating system

Linux 4.9.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.18-1kali1 (2017-04-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux

  • How did you install gqrx, gnuradio  and other related packages, and which versions?

Via apt-get from the default repositories.

linux; GNU C++ version 7.2.0; Boost_106200; UHD_003.010.002.000-0-unknown
Gqrx software defined radio receiver 2.8
$ gnuradio-config-info -v
3.7.10

  • What device(s) are you using (USRP, RTLSDR, Funcube Dongle, …)?

HackRF One with current firmware

  • What is the exact error you get / problem you are having?

[INFO] Opening HackRF One #0 a06063c8254b2f5f...

FATAL: setupStream invalid channel selection

Trying to fill up 1 missing channel(s) with null source(s).
This is being done to prevent the application from crashing
due to gnuradio bug #528.

  • What have you already done trying to resolve the error?

Run as root, rebooted, re-modprobed all relevant drivers, validated the device works with gnuradio-companion

  • Anything else that might be unusual about your setup, e.g. virtual machine.

Not really. Bog standard Kali installation on an HP Spectre laptop.  Full log follows:

$ gqrx
linux; GNU C++ version 7.2.0; Boost_106200; UHD_003.010.002.000-0-unknown

gr-osmosdr 0.1.4 (0.1.4) gnuradio 3.7.11
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy soapy redpitaya
FM demod gain: 3.05577
Resampling audio 96000 -> 48000
IQ DCR alpha: 1.04166e-05
Using audio backend: auto
BookmarksFile is /home/dax/.config/gqrx/bookmarks.csv
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock

RtApiAlsa::getDeviceInfo: snd_pcm_open error for device (hw:0,0), Device or resource busy.

gr-osmosdr 0.1.4 (0.1.4) gnuradio 3.7.11
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy soapy redpitaya
[INFO] Opening HackRF One #0 a06063c8254b2f5f...

FATAL: setupStream invalid channel selection

Trying to fill up 1 missing channel(s) with null source(s).
This is being done to prevent the application from crashing
due to gnuradio bug #528.

No change in output device:
  old:
  new:

Failed to set RX input rate to 8e+06
Your device may not be working properly.

IQ DCR samp_rate: 8e+06
IQ DCR alpha: 1.25e-07
Changing NB_RX quad rate: 96000 -> 8e+06
Generating taps for new filter   LO:-5000   HI:5000 TW:2000   Taps: 115
Generating taps for new filter   LO:-5000   HI:5000 TW:2000   Taps: 115

Alexandru Csete

Nov 10, 2017, 5:21:38 AM11/10/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Like I said on github, you should resolve the audio error:

> RtApiAlsa::getDeviceInfo: snd_pcm_open error for device (hw:0,0), Device or resource busy.

You need to select other audio backend, preferably one that supports
software mixing.
This error will prevent the gnuradio backend from running and can lead
to all sorts of other error messages.

Having said that, I am really surprised that it is shipped with
gnuradio 3.7.11 - I though gqrx with gnuradio 3.7.11 was broken.

Alex

daxd...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2017, 7:20:18 PM11/20/17
to Gqrx SDR

Thanks. I am using Pulseaudio which supports mixing, but I've been trying to find any documentation on how to specify the audio backend, with no luck. The I/O devices configuration gives me two options:

"Default"
"Built-In Audio Analog Stereo"

But no clear selection here, or in the command-line options to specify the audio backend itself.

I've seriously tried reading the documentation, but I must be missing something, as I cannot find a way to configure this per your suggestion.

Thanks.

daxd...@gmail.com

Alexandru Csete

Nov 21, 2017, 5:56:31 AM11/21/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

So, this has been a bit confusing to all of us :-)
I think I have given you wrong answers, but now I have a theory about
what is going on.

Audio backend is something you can select during build time, not run
time. If you are using binary packages provided by Kali, then the
choice has already been made.

I searched for the error message "setupStream invalid channel
selection" and it comes from the SoapySDR backend. So, I am guessing
that you are trying to use hackrf through SoapySDR. I suppose SiapySDR
has been updated, but not gr-osmosdr, or the other way around.

Try using the gr-osmosdr backend instead, i.e. the one without "soapy"
in the name. The device string should be "hackrf=0" or something like
that.

Now in retrospect I also understand, that the audio error came from
the audio backend in SoapySDR and not gqrx or gnuradio.

Alex