GQRX-2.4 Missing menu items

Den Eckert

Dec 20, 2015, 4:53:02 AM12/20/15
to Gqrx SDR
I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 --  3.13.0-74-generic -- and have the desktop environment at Ubuntu MATE. Also using Marco simple desktop effects as determined from the Control Center > MATE Tweak > Windows.  My older PC doesn't handle compositing very well in terms of CPU and memory usage.

When I use GQRX 2.4, I cannot see the text in the 'menu toolbar'. If I hover my mouse over where they should be (because I see a very light square box for each  of them) then what I think is called the 'tooltip' displays Start DSP and the next one Configure I/O Devices.

I wonder what causes this as previous versions of GQRX did not do this, and the screenshots of it I have seen on the 'net also do not show what I am seeing.

See attached PNG.

Dennis KB7ST
GQRX2.4-toolbar-text.png

Alexandru Csete

Dec 20, 2015, 5:10:04 AM12/20/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
It is a missing runtime dependency of binary package I made. If you
install the libqt5svg package using the package manager you should see
the icons on the toolbar.

I have no idea why you don't see the menu bar. There is no
(intentional) way to enable/disable it from within gqrx, so it must be
some global setting.

Alex

Dennis Eckert--KB7ST

Dec 20, 2015, 10:04:39 PM12/20/15
to Gqrx SDR
Thank you, Alex! Adding that libqt5svg fixed the issue so now I can see the button icons.  Still no toolbar so will experiment some more.

I still have another issue since installing 2.4.  When I size the GQRX window as much as I can, the bottom part of the program extends 'below the screen.' So that I cannot use the mouse to grab the lower right hand corner and see if I can make the program window smaller.  I do have bottom and upper panels in Ubuntu Mate 14.04.03 kernel 3.16.0-52.  I tried auto hiding them, thinking I could grab the bottom part of the window, but still no.  My desktop resolution is 1280 X 800. Is there some setting I can change. I do have Linux Mint MATE 17.3 MATE, based on Ubuntu 14.04 trusty also, but the distro on the other partition where the problem with the window exists is Ubuntu version of MATE. So my sizing issue is on Ubuntu MATE and not Mint Mate.  Oh, monitor resolution is the same on both distros. And video card is ATI Radeon X2300.  Ubuntu says there may be other video drivers to try so I will do that.  And the Mint MATE does show the toolbar and the Ubuntu MATE is the one that does not.  When I did a right click on Ubuntu MATE (that won't show the toolbar), there was a checkmark in the Toolbar blox, and I clicked it off and then on and again there was no toolbar.  Altho this is not critical but thot you should know.

Dennis KB7ST

Alexandru Csete

Dec 21, 2015, 2:58:36 PM12/21/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dennis,

It seems to me that the remaining issues are features/bugs related to
the desktop and window manager you are using. So, I'm hoping somebody
else who is familiar with those environments can help you. Until then,
here are a few general remarks.

"Ubuntu Mate" sounds like a bad combination. I have no specific
experience with it but as I recall Ubuntu decided to remove the
application menus from the application window and show it in the
desktop panel. But that requires the Unity desktop, so if you use Mate
desktop you would loose the application menu, no?

I can resize the window by dragging the window border on any of the
sizes top/bottom/left/right and not just the bottom right corner.

I will try to reduce the required height of the window, however, on my
xfce desktop it is already down at 730 pixels.

You should always be able to completely reset gqrx settings by
starting gqrx with the -r option. That should reset any toolbar
settings you may have done.

Alex

victor quinones

Oct 13, 2016, 2:46:29 PM10/13/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alexandru,

I have the same problems with the icons in GQRX 2.6 version, they are missing.
I had already added the package libqt5svg5-dev but the icons continue missing.
I work with Ubuntu 14.04 and Unity desktop.

I really appreciate your help to fix this issue.

Alexandru Csete

Oct 13, 2016, 2:51:13 PM10/13/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:46 PM, victor quinones <vjqui...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alexandru,
>
> I have the same problems with the icons in GQRX 2.6 version, they are
> missing.
> I had already added the package libqt5svg5-dev but the icons continue
> missing.
> I work with Ubuntu 14.04 and Unity desktop.

The runtime package is libqt5svg5 (without -dev). The -dev package is
for when you are compiling from source.

Alex

David Ranch

Oct 13, 2016, 3:12:11 PM10/13/16
to Gqrx SDR

Hey Alex,

When Gqrx is making a qt5svg call but that library isn't present, can Gqrx issue an error to STDERR?  That error would be helpful to clue-in the user to what's up.

--David
KI6ZHD

Alexandru Csete

Oct 13, 2016, 3:28:28 PM10/13/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 9:12 PM, David Ranch <dra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When Gqrx is making a qt5svg call but that library isn't present, can Gqrx
> issue an error to STDERR? That error would be helpful to clue-in the user
> to what's up.

It's an internal Qt thing and gqrx doesn't even know about this issue.

I have already fixed this by ensuring that the PPA requires qt5svg,
but there are many old legacy packages that are out of my control.

Alex