Virtual Audio Cable

Denis Poupart

Apr 21, 2018, 7:29:12 PM4/21/18
to Gqrx SDR
How do I send audio from gqrx to fldigi? In windows I can use VAC. Any suggestions.

I am using Ubuntu 16.04, and need baby steps help.

Thx

Alexandru Csete

Apr 21, 2018, 7:58:01 PM4/21/18
to Gqrx
On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 1:29 AM, Denis Poupart <jacks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I send audio from gqrx to fldigi? In windows I can use VAC. Any suggestions.
>
> I am using Ubuntu 16.04, and need baby steps help.

The simplest way is to use the built-in monitoring since it does not
require installation of any other software.

In fldigi, select pulseaudio (configure -> Audio -> Devices ->
PulseAudio). Leave server string empty.

Then while fldigi is running, open Volume control -> Recording, click
on the button with the audio device name and select "Monitor of
Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" or something similar. This may be
different on your desktop.

Note that this is nothing gqrx specific. It will also work with any
other linux application.

Alex

Denis A. Poupart

Apr 21, 2018, 8:00:07 PM4/21/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the quick reply.

Rob PE1CHL

Feb 23, 2019, 4:25:25 AM2/23/19
to Gqrx SDR
I am trying this, and for some reason I cannot get it to work...

I use gqrx 2.11.5 as packaged for Debian buster, and in the audio output I have selected device Default.
(there also appear two other entries that refer to the two soundcards I have in my system)

In Pulseaudio Volume Control I see gqrx output and I select a soundcard.  It works OK (on both of the soundcards, as selected).

When I open Fldigi I also see it in Pulseaudio Volume control and I can select 4 sources, my two soundcards and a "monitor of" each of them.

When I select either soundcard I gets its input (line-in or mic-in) but when I select "monitor of" it is selected OK but I only get silence.
The setting of the volume control and mute is OK and does not affect this.

Anyone with more experience with this that can explain what this can be?

Randall Wayth

Feb 23, 2019, 4:34:59 AM2/23/19
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Rob,

Its hard to tell from your post if you can only see the monitors of the inputs, in which case that's not going to work.

I'm hesitant to muddy the waters, but there is an alternate approach to getting audio from gqrx into other applications: the audio loopback device, which is built-in in linux. I wrote some instructions for getting audio from gqrx to wsjt-x in my WSPR blog: http://wsprnet.org/drupal/node/7874

Hope that is useful.

Cheers,
Randall

Rob PE1CHL

Feb 23, 2019, 10:04:18 AM2/23/19
to Gqrx SDR
Randall,

It is impossible for me to tell if these "monitor of" lines are monitors of the input or output, they only say "monitor of the_name_of_the_sound_device", not input or output.
I thought this monitor function was happening inside pulseaudio but I am not sure.  Long ago on another system and before pulseaudio I had a specific mixer device that was the monitor, but that is no longer there.

I know with alsa a lot is possible, and I use those loopback devices on other systems and they work fine.  They could be combined with other alsa features to do what I want (feeding audio to another application while still having it on the speakers).

Normally I remove pulseaudio and use alsa directly whenever I want full control of the audio (e.g. on our co-channel diversity repeaters that require strict timing) but unfortunately, like removing systemd that is no longer practical on a desktop system running a large collection of pre-built binaries.

It is unclear to me what is happening.  The monitor feature does what others describe but it returns no audio, this is already visible in the volume control app that shows no "Vu meter" deflection.

Rob

Rob PE1CHL

Feb 23, 2019, 2:28:33 PM2/23/19
to Gqrx SDR
I have found the problem!  It was a pulsaudio configuration problem...
I was checking the Recording tab and it showed those "monitor of" options, but now I checked the "Input devices" tab and
there was "Show: all except monitors".  I set that to "Show: all input devices" and now the 2 monitor devices appeared here
too, and it became clear that their "mute" buttons were clicked.  After changing this and going back to Recording, the
"monitor of ..." option works OK!