Can't zoom on macbook & soundflower not shown as output device

infaddict

Feb 28, 2015, 11:56:18 AM2/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Trying Gqrx for the first time.  I can succesfully tune into FM radio stations and also pickup a signal from my own 434Mhz USB transmitter.  However, I am having 2 issues:

1) I can find no method of zooming in on any part of the user interface.  I am using a macbook with built in track pad and normally finger swiping mimics zooming.  I have tried finger swiping, pressing + and -, using key combinations whilst swiping mousepad but nothing zooms.  This means I cannot zoom into fine tune things.  I have read a mousewheel does this in Windows but clearly macs do not have a mousewheel (even iMacs come with a touch swipe mouse).  Is there something I am doing wrong and is there a keypress alternative for zooming?

2) I want to route the audio output from Gqrx to another application.  I would normally do this using Soundflower, but under the audio output options I only see "Default" and no other options.  Other applications recognise Soundflower as both an input and output device yet Gqrx does not show it at all.

Any help much appreciated.

Michael Dickens

Feb 28, 2015, 2:45:14 PM2/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Just to be clear: You're using your MacBook running some version of Mac OS X, yes? I'm not sure it makes any difference, but it would be good to know which Mac OS X version, which Xcode, and how you installed Gqrx. It sounds like you're using your own hardware (custom designed and build) to do RX -> USB, yes?

I've never used Soundflower (never even known about it; < http://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/ >, yes?), and I don't have FM capable hardware in front of me to do zoom testing; I'll try those Monday if nobody else has replied. I -can- say that the audio interface uses Apple's native audio for determining I/O devices. - MLD

infaddict

Feb 28, 2015, 4:01:34 PM2/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael, thanks for your reply.  I am running OSX 10.10.2 and I downloaded a pre-packaged .dmg file so I'm not compiling the source.  When I goto the File -> About menu I see version 0.0 which I guess is strange.  If there is a better way to get the latest mac binaries then please let me know

I am using a USB SDR dongle (Realtec R820T2) to receive radio and Gqrx recognises that fine and I can receive FM stations and also pick up my own transmissions from other kit at 434Mhz successfully.

Soundflower might not be well known but for audio guys it is well known.  It can be used to route sound between applications and to reroute system sound too.  The mac sees it as a sound device and shows it in the audio preferences panel.  Other applications see it as a valid input/output device too, but Gqrx seems to only list "default".  Even that name doesn't sound correct as I would expect it to actually show "Built In output" which is what the Mac calls its speakers.

The zoom thing is annoying.  For users without a scroll wheel (or no mouse at all) there needs to be other accessibility options like keyboard shortcuts or a slider to zoom.  Be interesting to know if others are getting the same thing.

Alexandru Csete

Feb 28, 2015, 4:44:38 PM2/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 10:01 PM, infaddict <timoth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael, thanks for your reply. I am running OSX 10.10.2 and I
> downloaded a pre-packaged .dmg file so I'm not compiling the source. When I
> goto the File -> About menu I see version 0.0 which I guess is strange. If
> there is a better way to get the latest mac binaries then please let me know

Not really strange. That package is very, very old, before any
official release was made. A lot has changed since, including the
ability to select audio devices other than "default". I can only
recommend upgrading to the latest version through macports.

> Soundflower might not be well known but for audio guys it is well known. It
> can be used to route sound between applications and to reroute system sound
> too. The mac sees it as a sound device and shows it in the audio
> preferences panel. Other applications see it as a valid input/output device
> too, but Gqrx seems to only list "default".

As written above, that's because you got a third party package that
was created in the early days. Recent versions should list all
available output devices.

> Even that name doesn't sound
> correct as I would expect it to actually show "Built In output" which is
> what the Mac calls its speakers.

It's not really a name. It just indicates that gqrx will use whatever
is selected as default output device in the system preferences.

> The zoom thing is annoying. For users without a scroll wheel (or no mouse
> at all) there needs to be other accessibility options like keyboard
> shortcuts or a slider to zoom. Be interesting to know if others are getting
> the same thing.

I'm not sure why zoom doesn't work. Scroll wheel on a mouse is just
the scroll function. Surely you have the scroll function on the mac?
Perhaps it is a side effect of old Qt package included in the binary.
Perhaps something needs to be changed in the code, I have no idea. I'm
just using a toolkit that is supposed to work the same way on all
platforms but I guess it does not.

Alex

infaddict

Feb 28, 2015, 5:16:45 PM2/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Can I find a binary install or do I have to compile the source code on my Mac?

Alexandru Csete

Feb 28, 2015, 6:41:32 PM2/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I am not aware of any .dmg packages of the latest version.

Alex

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 11:16 PM, infaddict <timoth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. Can I find a binary install or do I have to compile the source code on my Mac?

Michael Dickens

Mar 1, 2015, 2:58:33 PM3/1/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I'm not aware of a separate/independent binary for Gqrx either. That
said, for most ports in MacPorts, you can install a pre-compiled binary
-- the "default variants" version -- so most ports don't have to be
installed from source (we use build-bots to create these binaries, one
each for 10.6 through 10.10). So, if you do "sudo port install gqrx"
with a clean MacPorts install, then generally you can just walk away for
a few hours (assuming a reasonable internet connection) & come back with
a full install of Gqrx and its dependencies (which are numerous because
I've selected all possible variants for GNU Radio and its elk). Good
luck! - MLD

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015, at 06:41 PM, Alexandru Csete wrote:
> I am not aware of any .dmg packages of the latest version.

Anthony Dodson

Mar 29, 2015, 5:01:51 PM3/29/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Is zooming in on the panadapter possible?  I have gqrx running on MacOSX and Ubuntu, but I can't find a way to zoom in on the panadapter in either one.

Anthony Dodson

Apr 1, 2015, 5:34:32 AM4/1/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I did find it. Scrolling while moused-over the frequncy meter bar does it.