Crash detected installing GQRX

bigd

Nov 10, 2014, 1:58:35 PM11/10/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Decided to try Linux after using Windows all these years so not sure if I'm doing installs correctly.

I did have Windows Vista and SDR# on the old pc so am somewhat familiar with using the SDR dongle.

Current setup is:
Linux Mint 17 64 bit up to date
AMD A8-5600K APU
Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H motherboard
4G ram
NooElec R820T SDR & DVB-T dongle

Installed GQRX using the software manager and then typing gqrx in terminal.
Thanks for any help getting this setup.
David

Alexandru Csete

Nov 10, 2014, 3:08:50 PM11/10/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

From the error message I'm guessing that you have already been running
gqrx before, is that true?

Otherwise, you can just try to continue. Pressing "No" will try to
continue with whatever configuration gqrx has found, pressing "Yes"
will let you review and edit the settings before continuing.

If it keeps crashing please copy and paste the error message from the terminal.

Alex

bigd

Nov 10, 2014, 4:22:54 PM11/10/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for replying Alexandru,
No I haven't had GQRX running before, the error messages happened the first time I ran GQRX at the terminal.
Here is the error message with GQRX with no dongle attached:

dad@dad ~ $ gqrx
linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.005.005-0-unknown

gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace
Using Volk machine: sse4_2_64_orc
gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace

FATAL: Wrong rtlsdr device index given.

Trying to fill up 1 missing channel(s) with null source(s).
This is being done to prevent the application from crashing
due to gnuradio bug #528.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::math::rounding_error> >'
  what():  Error in function boost::math::round<f>(f): Value -inf can not be represented in the target integer type.
Aborted
dad@dad ~ $

And here is with dongle attached:

dad@dad ~ $ gqrx
linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.005.005-0-unknown

gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace
Using Volk machine: sse4_2_64_orc
gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace
Using device #0 Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR SN: 00000001

Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance of librtlsdr.
In the first case, please either detach or blacklist the kernel module
(dvb_usb_rtl28xxu), or enable automatic detaching at compile time.

usb_claim_interface error -6

FATAL: Failed to open rtlsdr device.

Trying to fill up 1 missing channel(s) with null source(s).
This is being done to prevent the application from crashing
due to gnuradio bug #528.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::math::rounding_error> >'
  what():  Error in function boost::math::round<f>(f): Value -inf can not be represented in the target integer type.
Aborted
dad@dad ~ $

I have uninstalled and reinstalled GQRX twice to see if that helps but no change. Thanks again, David

Alexandru Csete

Nov 10, 2014, 4:31:27 PM11/10/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
The crash with no device attached is a quirk that you just have to live with.

The other error with the device attached means that the TV driver is
already sitting on the device -- it is after all a TV device. Common
practice is to blacklist the TV driver. See for example this previous
thread:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gqrx/4na-dWW3STc/KLKZ-w2HdxUJ

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/0fdecd6a-e45f-479c-b19e-e1fb82b41fe5%40googlegroups.com.

bigd

Nov 10, 2014, 5:24:10 PM11/10/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
WOW, Yippee!!! That worked a treat Alex!

Thanks for replying so fast and especially for the link with the step by step instructions. Not having experience in Linux can be intimidating. Was afraid to mess something up. Sometimes Linux people skimp on the simple instructions and assume we (I) know what append an argument means etc. Thought I was going to have to buy Windows OS just for SDR. Appreciate your time and effort with the program.

Alexandru Csete

Nov 10, 2014, 5:39:50 PM11/10/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I'm glad it worked!
Yes, linux can be intimidating at first, but it can also be very
powerful once you get used to it. And it runs on everything from PCs
to small embedded devices so the knowledge you gain is widely usable.

Have fun!

Alex

Bill H

Nov 29, 2014, 12:59:58 AM11/29/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi!  I also had the same crash problem. I did have GQRX running previously.
I found out I had to do a sudo su and then start GQRX, and then the program started fine.  I think I may have had this same issue, when trying to run GQRX, the first time as well.
I am running Mint 17 with admin privileges, so I  don't know why I should have to do a sudo su?

Robin Gape

Nov 29, 2014, 4:22:42 AM11/29/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

do you mean that you are routinely running as the root user, or that you
are running routinely from a user account that has the privilege to
execute sudo?

In general use, there should be no need to run GQRX as root, and to do
so is likely to cause display problems.

HTH

Robin, G8DQX

Alexandru Csete

Nov 29, 2014, 4:55:35 AM11/29/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 6:59 AM, Bill H <bhop...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi! I also had the same crash problem. I did have GQRX running previously.
> I found out I had to do a sudo su and then start GQRX, and then the program
> started fine. I think I may have had this same issue, when trying to run
> GQRX, the first time as well.
> I am running Mint 17 with admin privileges, so I don't know why I should
> have to do a sudo su?

Hi Bill,

The only reason I can think of is if there are no udev rules set up
for the device you are using, or perhaps tey are set up for a group
that you are not member of. Please copy & paste in the error message
you get when you try to run gqrx as regular user, how gqrx was
installed and what kind of device you are using it with.

Alex

Bill H

Nov 29, 2014, 11:22:54 AM11/29/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your assistance, Robin!
With Mint I am running it as an "admin".  I believe this is not a true root user.  I find I need to run as admin because I run into privileges problems with not being able to access the Windows part of my hard drive and other privilege problems with some programs and also files on USB thumb drives.

Bill H

Nov 29, 2014, 11:58:00 AM11/29/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the help, Alex!

I installed gqrx from the repositories in Synaptic, under Mint 17.

It appears I may have installed the program while running as a "user" privilege.  I just now ran gqrx as a "user" and the program ran fine, without having to use the sudo su command.
I will uninstall gqrx from both my "user" and "admin" account and do a fresh install to the "admin" account.

Alexandru Csete

Nov 29, 2014, 12:13:05 PM11/29/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, I have never heard of installing packages through synaptic twice...

Anyway, if you are using the releases PPA, then it is currently
broken, see the other message thread. It should be good again in a few
hours.

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/ec53c2dc-6d12-4c84-b371-da8db5a18f45%40googlegroups.com.

Aldo Sihombing

Oct 16, 2016, 6:23:46 AM10/16/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hi,

i got same case, please help. here the log.

root@yeahPC:~# gqrx
linux; GNU C++ version 6.2.0 20160927; Boost_106100; UHD_003.009.005-0-unknown

(process:3359): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gqrx:3359): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
gr-osmosdr 0.1.4 (0.1.4) gnuradio 3.7.10
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy soapy redpitaya
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600

(gqrx:3359): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
gqrx: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgnuradio-osmosdr.so.0.1.4: undefined symbol: hackrf_device_list

thank before

Robin Gape

Oct 16, 2016, 9:14:51 AM10/16/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Aldo,

on QGRX installed from the Ubuntu PPA, on an Ubuntu 14.04 system, the start up messages begin:

robin@nemo:~$ gqrx
linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.4; Boost_105400; UHD_003.010.000.000-release

You'll notice:

1) gqrx is not run as root, since that can cause all sorts of permission problems with display servers

2) the compiler version is 4.8.4, rather than 6.2.0 (released 2016-08-22)

It's hard to diagnose further, without being telepathic, without knowing:

  • what version of Linux is involved
  • what hardware its running on
  • what SDR hardware is in use (probably not relevant to this question, but might be)
  • how GQRX was installed
  • whether the OS is a clean install, fully updated, or has been updated from a previous version (such as Ubuntu 16.04 updated from 14.04)
  • did GQRX work in the past

If you are running Ubuntu 16.10, then there is a thread on this list noting that gqrx on Ubuntu 16.10 is currently broken, see https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/gqrx/RqkQkR55Yq0.

HTH,

Robin, G8DQX