Package gnuradio-audio not found error

Gaston Glock

Feb 8, 2015, 1:53:24 AM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Using Mint 17.1 and following the directions on this site;
http://www.thepowerbase.com/2012/06/getting-started-with-rtl-sdr/2/

Once I navigate to gqrx.pro and select it I do not get a "save target" dialog  as the directions say but it appears to scan and get ready for the build. I click "Build All" and get an error "Package gnuradio-audio not found".
I went to install gnuradio-audio via the software manager and it shows to be installed. Further research on the web suggests installing pkg-config but that shows to be installed as well. Also copying rtl-sdr.rules to etc/udev/rules.d/65-rtl-sdr.rules. No joy on that either. I posted a question on that site but seeing its a few years old I wanted to cover my bases and ask here as well.
Any ideas?

Alexandru Csete

Feb 8, 2015, 7:35:19 AM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Any reason why you can't just use the packages from our Ubuntu PPA:
http://gqrx.dk/download

Now the PPA will probably not work because you have already installed
gnuradio using the build-gnuradio script and the script does not have
an "uninstall" feature.

Alex

Robin Gape

Feb 8, 2015, 9:48:25 AM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Gaston,

the website you quoted for instructions is 2½ years out of date! You'll have been through the joy of compiling GNURadio from source—it used to take me about 40 minutes per machine—and then getting the hang of the GQRX build process. It is possible, but you need a very good set of instructions to yourself, carefully & patiently followed, and nerves of steel.

My personal recommendation would be:
1) firstly to clear out totally your home-compiled versions of GNURadio & GQRX

2) add the GQRX snapshots PPA (noted on the downloads page that Alex gave the link for):

Add the ppa:gqrx/snapshots repository1:

 sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gqrx/snapshots

1To ensure installation of a later version of GQRX than is in the Ubuntu repository.

3) Then install package gqrx. That will pull in all of GNURadio &c. as dependencies, and install the latest version of GQRX.
As an alternative to 1), you could—having backed up all the data that you wish to keep first—simply re-install Mint.

HTH, 73,

Robin, G8DQX

Gaston Glock

Feb 8, 2015, 2:25:01 PM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks.  I got rid of anything gnuradio and gqrx via software manager and what I could find in my folders.  I added the gqrx ppa as suggested and it appeared to go well.  I then went back to software manager and installed gqrx.  I could see that it was also installing gnuradio.  Now when searching via the menu I cannot find anything gnuradio or gqrx related.  I search for gqrx and the results are nothing.

JR
k5cqb

Robin Gape

Feb 8, 2015, 2:53:54 PM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
OK. It's time to hit the terminal.

Bring up a terminal (in Ubuntu Ctl-Alt-T works, & probably the same in Mint)

Try the following commands in bold, with expected answers below:
robin@martin:~$ which gqrx
/usr/bin/gqrx
robin@martin:~$ which gnuradio-companion
/usr/bin/gnuradio-companion
That tells us that both GQRX & GNURadio have probably been successfully installed.

Then, in a terminal issue the command: gnuradio-companion
which should open a graphical window after a few seconds, and provide the following terminal output:
linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.007.002-0-unknown

<<< Welcome to GNU Radio Companion 3.7.5 >>>

Preferences file: /home/robin/.grc
Block paths:
    /usr/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks
    /home/robin/.grc_gnuradio

Showing: ""
Then we know thatGNURadio is not only installed, but also working.

Similarly, issue the terminal command: gqrx
which should also open a new window with the GQRX control panel, and give terminal output similar to:
linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.007.002-0-unknown

gr-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.5
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy
Using Volk machine: avx_64_mmx_orc
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
and a lot more lines.

On my Ubuntu boxes, running the Gnome 3 flashback desktop, the entries for GQRX appear under Ham Radio (CQ icon) (and also Accessories—Swiss Army knife icon) and for GRC under Programming (trowel icon!)

HTH, 73,

Robin, G8DQX

Gaston Glock

Feb 8, 2015, 4:34:06 PM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
When I enter "which gnuradio-companion" I get no reply.  I remember when installing the gqrx package the installer had a list of gnuradio files that would also be installed but I don't see them and nothing comes up in a search.  I checked my user folder and there is not a grc folder.  Do I need to install gnuradio separately?

Robin Gape

Feb 8, 2015, 6:09:14 PM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Gaston,

GNURadio (package gnuradio) should be installed as a dependency of GQRX (package gqrx). If there is some remnant of an earlier version of GNURadio that may prevent the new package from installing correctly.

If there is no GRC (GNURadio Companion) then there is no GNURadio, and GQRX won't run.

If one were in your shoes, at this point a fresh installation of Linux Mint is called for, and start from there with the PPA. These days, HDDs are big enough to allow for 2 or 3 75GB system (root) partitions on an HDD, with the rest given over to a data partition (or whatever suits you).

For myself, one uses a standard set of scripts & instructions so that installing a new machine or distribution is comparatively quick. The Joy of Linux is that a re-installation of the OS generally costs nothing but time!

Robin, G8DQX

On 08/02/15 21:34, Gaston Glock wrote:
When I enter "which gnuradio-companion" I get no reply.  I remember when installing the gqrx package the installer had a list of gnuradio files that would also be installed but I don't see them and nothing comes up in a search.  I checked my user folder and there is not a grc folder.  Do I need to install gnuradio separately?

Alexandru Csete

Feb 8, 2015, 6:29:43 PM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 12:09 AM, Robin Gape <robi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Gaston,
>
> GNURadio (package gnuradio) should be installed as a dependency of GQRX
> (package gqrx). If there is some remnant of an earlier version of GNURadio
> that may prevent the new package from installing correctly.

Actually, gqrx will only install the runtime libraries required by
gqrx but not the gnuradio development suite. The latter is still
available though but it has to be installed maunally.

By the way, I am getting very confused by this thread... What's goal
here? Install gqrx or gnuradio?

If you want gqrx then just type gqrx in the terminal. You don't need
gnuradio-companion.

Alex

Gaston Glock

Feb 8, 2015, 6:30:46 PM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I ran gqrx to see what would happen and I got a dialog box "configure I/O".  I didnt change any settings and hit enter.  I posted the results below;

jr@jr-CX2750 ~ $ which gqrx
/usr/bin/gqrx
jr@jr-CX2750 ~ $ which gnuradio-companion
jr@jr-CX2750 ~ $ gqrx
linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.005.005-0-unknown

gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace
Using Volk machine: sse3_32_orc
gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace
Using device #0 Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR SN: 00000001

Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance of librtlsdr.
In the first case, please either detach or blacklist the kernel module
(dvb_usb_rtl28xxu), or enable automatic detaching at compile time.

usb_claim_interface error -6

FATAL: Failed to open rtlsdr device.

Trying to fill up 1 missing channel(s) with null source(s).
This is being done to prevent the application from crashing
due to gnuradio bug #528.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::math::rounding_error> >'
  what():  Error in function boost::math::round<f>(f): Value -inf can not be represented in the target integer type.
Aborted

Gaston Glock

Feb 8, 2015, 6:36:22 PM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I will probably do a fresh mint install tomorrow.  I appreciate your help.
73

Gaston Glock

Feb 8, 2015, 6:42:25 PM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com

My goal is to use my RTL2832u dongle.  I don't have too much stuff on this laptop so it won't be a big pain to do a fresh install as suggested.  I apreciate your and Robin's help.  I'll do a fresh install tomorrow and start from scratch with the PPA.

Ulf Bertilsson

Feb 8, 2015, 7:23:47 PM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Try "sudo rmmod  dvb_usb_rtl28xxu"