Tuner UI weirdness - Can't tune below ~24 Mhz

Paul Bailey

May 12, 2018, 11:36:00 AM5/12/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hello Alex and Gqrx community,

I recently bought an RTL-SDR dongle, and installed GRX 2.5 on my Mac running OS 10.13.4. It works fine when tested with FM broadcast and aero-band frequencies, but the tuner won't tune below about 23.1 Mhz. The click and scroll feature in the digital read out at top left simply wouldn't tune any lower than 24 Mhz. I was able to click and drag the 'red line' in the graphical tuner window down to 23.1, but it won't go any lower.

Given that ver 2.5 was reported to have some bugs in  Moc OS, I installed macports, then downloaded, compiled and installed Gqrx 2.11.4. The installation went totally smooth, but the same problem persists. This doesn't feel like a hardware problem, but who knows? Any thoughts?

Andrew Helgeson

May 12, 2018, 11:39:12 AM5/12/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
in the "configure IO devices" dialog

Device String  rtl=0,direct_samp=2

Robin Gape

May 12, 2018, 1:14:02 PM5/12/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Paul,

Andrew suggested:

in the "configure IO devices" dialog

Device String  rtl=0,direct_samp=2

An alternative approach is, in Input controls tab to tick the No limits box. How useful that will be depends on lots of things: YMMV!

73,

Robin, G8DQX

AA0OI

May 12, 2018, 5:54:45 PM5/12/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul;
      THIS IS AN ONGOING PROBLEM (oops cap lock was on) anyway. Alex is working on it,, just sent me an email saying he has a SDR V3 on the way and will try to correct the problem.
adding the line..

in the "configure IO devices" dialog

Device String  rtl=0,direct_samp=2

will not correct the problem. right as of now there is no fix  ,,, if you add these two line it switches from your dongle to "Other"  I have tried many different combinations to no avail.. It might just be me , but if I listen way, way down on "other" I think I can hear some stations, but so far down I'm not sure. and its not my 40 meter tuned double bazooka, all  my antenna's with MFJ 259 antenna tuner.
     There is a possibility that an up converter will correct the problem (I ordered one 3 weeks ago,, now lost in USPS hell)  I'm going with an x86 emulator. Now sure if its going to work or not,, was made for Pi2 and Pi3. IF the post office sees clear to deliver it..
CUL