Listening to UDP stream on Android?

Jonathan Endersby

Apr 4, 2016, 6:55:31 AM4/4/16
to Gqrx SDR
How would I go about listening to the UDP stream on an Android phone? I can't even get it to work with VLC, perhaps I'm missing something?

Regards,
j.

Robin Gape

Apr 4, 2016, 10:23:36 AM4/4/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Jonathan,

the UDP stream represents a slice of RF spectrum, as I and Q samples. In principle, that I&Q sample stream may be decoded by some SDR program on a device attached to the local network.

Alternatively, decoded audio may be streamed from a Linux box (and presumably from the Mac equivalent)

VLC is only equipped to deal with audio (or video, not relevant to this discussion!) streams.

AFAIK, there is no current application for Android that can deal with raw I/Q samples. If you're feeling particularly Brainiac, then there is what looks like very preliminary work under way to port GnuRadio to Android (requires Android 5.0 or above) at http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Android. That said, your favourite search engine is probably your friend!

HTH

Robin, G8DQX

David Ranch

Apr 4, 2016, 10:50:47 AM4/4/16
to Gqrx SDR

The output UDP audio stream from Gqrx is NOT an I/Q stream... it's a demodulated AF audio stream that can be played with say Alsaplay:

   http://gqrx.dk/doc/streaming-audio-over-udp

(there are VLC examples above)

As for how to receive thast stream on Android.. I'm sure this is possible but I've never tried it.  There are a few example apps in this search but you'll have to try different programs.  Let us know what you find!

   https://www.google.com/search?q=android+app+receive+UDP+audio+stream&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I would look at programs like MX Player, etc.

--David
KI6ZHD

Robin Gape

Apr 4, 2016, 11:24:04 AM4/4/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Oops, David is quite correct. (I had confused the I/Q record & replay functionality with the audio stream, which is referenced at https://github.com/csete/gqrx/commit/aedb8947a7b94156e51215c3a0ac355ba43b6f42.)

mea culpa

Robin, G8DQX