Package Gqrx as a Snap package for Ubuntu 16.04+ ?

Dave B

Apr 30, 2016, 12:46:20 PM4/30/16
to Gqrx SDR
Ubuntu 16.04 introduced "Snap" packaging, where you can build an app and include all of it's dependencies into a single package. I think this would be a lot easier to get the newest version of Gqrx installed, rather than adding 5 repositories as is the current method. Would this be a viable option for the Gqrx developers?
Here's a good article about Ubuntu Snap feature... http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/ubuntu-16-04-lts-snap-packages

Alexandru Csete

Apr 30, 2016, 2:04:15 PM4/30/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

For Ubuntu 16.04 you just use the packages that come with Ubuntu since
we don't have packages for 16.04 in the PPA. Not yet anyway.

I will take a look at it, but the ideal case would be if somebody else
stepped up and created a snap package. Splitting up the PPA has
allowed me to share the packaging work with other developers, whereas
the snap will require once again the packager to build all
dependencies.

Also I get the impression that snaps will have to be built for each
version of Ubuntu and each architecture (32, 64 bit) by the developer,
whereas in the case of PPA we create a recipe and let the Ubuntu
servers build the packages. But I have to take a closer look before I
know for sure.

Alex