Hardware freq:

James Clark

Mar 14, 2017, 6:17:46 PM3/14/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hello all, hopefully yall can help me with this, Ive GQRX on the mac and up and making noise, OK thats all good and all but I cant get it to do something so simple. That is changing freqs, the only freq I see is the Hardware freq:. LOL, I know thats so basic a third grader can do it and I am even a ham so that goes to show just because your smart with some stuff your totally clueless with others.
I only use my keyboard as I am a voiceover user so can anyone give me instructions on how to switch channels on the keyboard? I thought I got it switching channels but apparently not, it must have only ben switching modes.

Alexandru Csete

Mar 14, 2017, 6:44:35 PM3/14/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hello James,

If you are relying on assistive technologies then I'm afraid gqrx will
not work out for you. It is a heavily graphical application and
frequency setting is also done using a mouse on a graphical widget
that does not have voice or full keyboard support. Some time ago I
looked into improving these areas in gqrx, but I cam to the conclusion
that it would require significantly more work than I had time for.

I will try to be better aware of these issues when I design future applications.

Alex

James Clark - KC3CDV

Mar 14, 2017, 6:48:13 PM3/14/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Well, I can get it to change modes, do you think any difference would be made if I were to use my mouse?
Voiceover lets me use a mouse as well as a keyboard, I would need to get batteries or maybe if I were to use the mouse keys on the keyboard, I can change modes and squelch and all that, just not change the freqs.
If I cant get GQRX to work would there be any other software you could point me to thats more functional with voiceover? Buy the way if you would like to check and see what I am talking about go to GQRX and turn on voiceover, you can do that buy pushing Command F5, then use your mouse as you normally would along with your keyboard.

May Peace Be With You. Active skywarn severe weather spotter and Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network operative.
@HomefrontHugs Volunteer for our Troops and Families
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_e_b9h%3D%3DDy2nRkO3EMOks7%3Dap6_gPM%3DBR8skaam20UmVA%40mail.gmail.com.

Alexandru Csete

Mar 14, 2017, 8:33:21 PM3/14/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
The frequency is set by moving the mouse over to the frequency
controller, which is a graphical item, then interact with the
individual digits using the mouse wheel. Once this widget has focus it
is also possible to use the arrow keys, but there is no voice feedback
from this item.

If the only thing you are missing is a way to enter a frequency, we
can probably add a standard widget that you can interact with the same
way as you do with squelch. What do you think?

Alex

James Clark - KC3CDV

Mar 14, 2017, 8:54:56 PM3/14/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
that would work great, ive already tested the squelch and it works with voiceover, the modes appear to work to, at least they sound different, its stuck on something like 143.500Mhz or so and it won’t change, I just tried a mouse even and no go.
My little SDR gets hot quickly Ive noticed because its plugged in the back of my mac but I think it’ll be good, but back to the point yes I think entering in the freq buy writing it in would be great.
I was hoping for that sort of set up anyway so I don’t have to dig through a bunch of freqs, however could you also put a slider in to in case you just want to move a few channels or just do a general tuning like you tune a radio set like back in the analog days?

Something like that and if I can think of any more tips I can just shoot them at you like this.
I have know idea how to do any of that design code stuff so thats in your department.
I wonder, how long would that take to do?
Thanks for everything.
,
May Peace Be With You. Active skywarn severe weather spotter and Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network operative.
@HomefrontHugs Volunteer for our Troops and Families

Alexandru Csete

Mar 15, 2017, 3:57:49 PM3/15/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

I don't think I can make a slider work well for this purpose because
the the devices have a wide frequency range and the sliders have a
finite number of steps. So it would be something like 10 MHz per
step...

The widget that is used for squelch is a spin-box. You can enter a
value manually or use the arrow up/down to make fine steps and page
up/down (or fn+arrow) to make coarse steps. I think you could use that
to step through channels on the same band. You can tell me which step
size you would be useful for you, otherwise I will set them to some
defaults like 1 kHz fine step and 5 kHz coarse step.

Alex

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:54 AM, James Clark - KC3CDV
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/0A9B778D-F452-4C32-A319-6CF9FD4FDAB8%40gmail.com.

James Clark - KC3CDV

Mar 15, 2017, 4:48:10 PM3/15/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
OK not sure why this did not go through, going to try to resend this. Yeah the 10MHZ step would work fine, and you look like your thinking along the same lines as I am with smaller steps, that would work great, and maybe also put a box to write in a freq in case you wanna go between say 3 KHZ instead of say 5 for like fine tuning.
Thanks again for willingly putting time to at least talk about this, I would love to see this followed through with, Ive talked to designers who talk a good talk, but never follow through.
Ive tried other software and yours looks to be the best as I can actually get noise out of my SDR but not out of the other softwares.
It says hardware freq, I am assuming that will change once we get a way of changing freqs, also I found out why your software is partly usable with voiceover, your using QT code, voiceover seems to work great with that code. Thanks again.
.
May Peace Be With You. Active skywarn severe weather spotter and Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network operative.
@HomefrontHugs Volunteer for our Troops and Families

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_dFeY_wDMHPhZ249v74xTfnjyebPxk1VcUf4q_cWR-qTQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Alexandru Csete

Mar 15, 2017, 8:24:02 PM3/15/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

I have made a new app bundle for you with the new widget. You can
download it here: http://files.oz9aec.net/gqrx/Gqrx-2.6.84.dmg

The frequency control widget should identify itself in voice-over as
Frequency or Receiver Frequency. When activated, you can enter a
frequency or use the arrow up/down to change in 1 kHz steps. Fn +
arrow will change in 10 kHz steps.

I hope you can use it like this here and now. User settable tuning
steps are also planned but that will require some more thinking.
Hopefully in the next release.

Alex

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 9:48 PM, James Clark - KC3CDV
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/F10CCA05-2E02-46D7-8FAC-53B97CE5C11B%40gmail.com.

James Clark - KC3CDV

Mar 15, 2017, 10:10:18 PM3/15/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
it goes real slow finding freqs but this is a start. you can press VO keys and up to switch between bands it looks like and just down or up to go KHZ. If I could type in the freq I wanted this would be a lot quicker, but thank you for putting this together, this is a large step ahead.
I am digging around and able to change freqs.
Its not perfict, but its getting to be a great app.
.
May Peace Be With You. Active skywarn severe weather spotter and Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network operative.
@HomefrontHugs Volunteer for our Troops and Families

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_d_KsrxZQes2EVa%3DeX%3DhwkYFm_5a5_q-mvCSWFMBduZYw%40mail.gmail.com.

Alexandru Csete

Mar 16, 2017, 9:28:02 AM3/16/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
James,

You should be able to type in the frequency you want, but note that it
is in kiloherz, not Hertz. The resolution is still 1 Hertz using 3
decimal digits.

Alex

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 3:10 AM, James Clark - KC3CDV
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/6744B57B-1D35-4D33-80B6-D10C6AFA7B77%40gmail.com.

James Clark - KC3CDV

Mar 16, 2017, 7:36:29 PM3/16/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I don’t see a place to type in a freq, the tuning is slow and thats fine, but I don’t see a place where I can punch in say 11175Khz for example.

May Peace Be With You. Active skywarn severe weather spotter and Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network operative.
@HomefrontHugs Volunteer for our Troops and Families

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_eo3U0uVbMQvE80tAU8FpFdVMTnF-6gkC03cHVE5d0D4w%40mail.gmail.com.

Alexandru Csete

Mar 16, 2017, 8:00:28 PM3/16/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Sorry James, I have no idea how to explain it. All I can say is that
both the squelch and the newly added frequency widget are text
fields. Once they are active and you can use the arrow keys to change
their values, you should also be able to type in the value.

Alex

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 12:36 AM, James Clark - KC3CDV
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/57A71C69-0068-40C5-B1F8-D494D6E97CE1%40gmail.com.

James Clark - KC3CDV

Mar 16, 2017, 8:02:18 PM3/16/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hey, never mind I got it to work, I did not think the little thing that said KHZ would do anything as it did not look like a normal text box I am use to, Its still a bit buggy, I cant get it to work all the time but its better than what I had to mess with just 1 night ago, and for that I say thank you. Your the first designer of an app who actually took the time to fix an app when you said you would.