SDRplay in GQRX

Jeff Long

Jan 1, 2018, 8:36:56 PM1/1/18
to Gqrx SDR
I'm rewriting the gr-osmosdr (and thus GQRX) support for SDRplay. It is mostly done, and I'm looking for people to test it out. If you're able to build from source, please take a look at:

https://github.com/willcode/gr-osmosdr/tree/sdrplay2

specifically, the sdrplay2 branch. I use this code with the RSP1A and RSP2, but it should work with a RSP1 (which I will be getting soon). My development environment uses PyBOMBs. Something along the lines of this set of commands would let you build/test it in a temporary location.

git clone https://github.com/willcode/gr-osmosdr
cd gr-osmosdr
git checkout sdrplay2
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/tmp/test -DENABLE_NONFREE=yes ..
make
mkdir /tmp/test
make install
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/test/lib64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH gqrx

Thanks,
Jeff

wofritzyt

Jan 2, 2018, 3:48:44 AM1/2/18
to Gqrx SDR
Nice!

I'm running RSP1/RSP1A with the soapy driver currently because I found the sdrplay support in gr-osmosdr quite outdated.
I'll test your branch as soon as I find the time.

Two questions:

Do you have an idea how to integrate the notch filter and bias-t configuration in gr-osmosdr? For the time being, I hacked the soapy driver with fake antennas that select the notch filters because I found no way to expose the extended configuration the soapy driver offers via gr-osmosdr.

I see your last commit regarding LNA gain setting.
Do you know what this setting actually does in the RSP1A hardware? The API documentation was unclear (to me at least) last time I checked.

Regards,
Wolf

Regards

Alexandru Csete

Jan 2, 2018, 4:06:06 AM1/2/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 9:48 AM, wofritzyt <wolfgan...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Do you have an idea how to integrate the notch filter and bias-t
> configuration in gr-osmosdr? For the time being, I hacked the soapy driver
> with fake antennas that select the notch filters because I found no way to
> expose the extended configuration the soapy driver offers via gr-osmosdr.

That's actually a pretty smart way of doing it. Another option is to
use parameters in the device string, and that's actually used for
antenna bias on the some other devices like the Airspy and Hackrf.

Alex

Jeff Long

Jan 2, 2018, 7:53:33 AM1/2/18
to Gqrx SDR
I made additional gains that control the notches, one for broadcast notch and one for dab notch. All the gains are left as attentuations/reductions so that the user can control how the hardware work. The only problem with adding notches into the device string is that you can't change them dynamically, and I like fiddling with all the control while running. Fake antennas was another thought. A better answer would be to have custom settings supported in gr-osmosdr and gqrx. It was necessary to leave both notch controls there for all SDRplay models to allow runtime switching between devices. Settings that don't make sense for a given model are silently ignored.

The latest API document has a table at the end that explains what the different LNA steps do on different models (1/1A/2) at different frequencies. I used steps instead of dB for the LNA control because there was no way to update the gqrx control to represent a gain changing due to retuning. Really, users don't care about dB. They just want a clean signal.

I took a look at the Soapy driver while writing this. It looked pretty good, and has a couple features that I haven't implemented here yet. The main advantage to my driver, after you get by all the stuff you have to implement to make it work, is that it does a single copy from the sdrplay callback directly into a GNU Radio buffer. This should help out a little at high sample rate.

Let me know how it works for you.

Nicolas K

Jan 7, 2018, 6:43:02 AM1/7/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Jeff,

I just tried your sdrplay2 branch of gr-osmosdr, and it's for me a great impovement of sdrplay support.

I own a RSP2 since Christmas, now the broadcat notch is usable in gqrx, very nice addition.

I noticed that a dab notch is avaliable but it does nothing because it's only for RSP1a.

I'm only confused by the gains settings, but I'll test more to see how it works.

Can the bias-t be enabled in the device string like other devices ?

Jeff Long

Jan 7, 2018, 7:15:40 AM1/7/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for testing, and I'm glad it works for you.

I'll add the bias-t to the device string soon. I didn't want to add this
until I was sure things were working right.

Gains are a little different with SDRplay. They think of everything in
terms of attenuation from maximum gain. For the LNA, there are discrete
attenuation values, and they change between bands and RSP models. So:

LNA_ATTEN_STEP is the step number for (increasing) LNA attenuation. The
specific values change based on band and model. The number of steps is
also not the same for each band or model, so higher settings may have no
effect.

SYS_ATTEN_DB is the attenuation in dB for baseband gain. This works the
same for all bands and models.

BCAST_NOTCH and DAB_NOTCH are switches, where 1 is on and 0 is off. I
could not find another way to expose this functionality through
gr-osmosdr and gqrx and make it controllable at run time. Making it part
of the device string would have worked, but it could not be changed at
run time.

While testing, I was switching between RSPs at run time and found that
gqrx does not like gain controls to appear and disappear while using the
same driver. So, DAB_NOTCH and BCAST_NOTCH show up for all SDRplay
models and do nothing for models that do not support these features. I
can look into this more.

Hopefully, that answers your questions.

Jeff
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/6e59f429-3835-4c61-8615-1b09af339592%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/6e59f429-3835-4c61-8615-1b09af339592%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jeff Long

Jan 7, 2018, 9:13:38 AM1/7/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Added bias=[0|1] to the input string for sdrplay. Note that gqrx
remembers input strings, so bias voltage will be set to the previous
state on a restart (even if you've changed to a shorted antenna). Careful.

Nicolas K

Jan 7, 2018, 9:43:23 AM1/7/18
to Gqrx SDR
Thanks Jeff, will try the bias T with my external LNA.

Nicolas K

Jan 7, 2018, 10:28:36 AM1/7/18
to Gqrx SDR
OK, I rebuilt the code, but biasT doesn't seems to work.

In the device string I put "sdrplay=0,bias=1" but it doesn't power the LNA.

More over I found something esle but I don't know if it is sdrplay2 brans related:

When I press the play button to stop SDR, I see 00000 printed on the terminal window from where I star'ted gqrx, like below:

mir_sdr_ReadPacket: Rf update confirmed: Rf=91800000,0Hz RfToggle=0
rfChanged @ 689091
OOOOError: USB buffer overflow
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Now when I restart gqrx and starting the strplay again, I get nothing in the app, and in the terminal:

Controlport disabled
No user supplied config file. Using "default.conf"
gr-osmosdr v0.1.4-118-g0847451d (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.10
built-in source types: file fcd rtl rtl_tcp sdrplay rfspace airspy soapy redpitaya
FM demod gain: 3.05577
Resampling audio 96000 -> 48000
IQ DCR alpha: 1.04166e-05
Using audio backend: auto
BookmarksFile is /home/nicolas/.config/gqrx/bookmarks.csv
sdrplay=0,label='SDRplay RSP2 1708076610'
getDeviceList : Available input devices:
    0 : "SDRplay RSP2 1708076610"
    1 : "RFSPACE SDR-IQ Receiver"
    2 : "RFSPACE SDR-IP Receiver"
    3 : "RFSPACE NetSDR Receiver"
    4 : "RFSPACE Cloud-IQ Receiver"
    5 : "PulseAudio"
    6 : "SDRplay Dev0 RSP2 1708076610"
    7 : "RTL-SDR Spectrum Server"
    8 : "Red Pitaya Transceiver Server"
    9 : "Complex Sampled (IQ) File"
Configuration file: "/home/nicolas/.config/gqrx/default.conf"
gr-osmosdr v0.1.4-118-g0847451d (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.10
built-in source types: file fcd rtl rtl_tcp sdrplay rfspace airspy soapy redpitaya
mir_sdr_usb_GetDevices Dev0:vid=1df7 pid=3010 rev=0207 serno=1708076610 bus=001 port=005 devAvail=1
Bias voltage: 0
IQ DCR samp_rate: 8e+06
IQ DCR alpha: 1.25e-07
Changing NB_RX quad rate: 96000 -> 8e+06
New antenna selected: "A"
********************
Gain name: "LNA_ATTEN_STEP"
      min: 0
      max: 8
     step: 1
Gain name: "SYS_ATTEN_DB"
      min: 20
      max: 59
     step: 1
Gain name: "BCAST_NOTCH"
      min: 0
      max: 1
     step: 1
Gain name: "DAB_NOTCH"
      min: 0
      max: 1
     step: 1
********************
No change in output device:
  old:
  new:
IQ DCR samp_rate: 1e+07
IQ DCR alpha: 1e-07
Changing NB_RX quad rate: 8e+06 -> 1e+07
Requested sample rate: 10000000
Actual sample rate   : "10000000.000000"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
SDRplay bandwidth requested=5e+06 actual=5000000
Requested bandwidth: 5000000 Hz
Actual bandwidth   : 5e+06 Hz
setFreqCorr : 0 ppm
New LNB LO: 0 Hz
New antenna selected: "B"
New mode index: 5
FM demod gain: 0.509296
Filter preset for mode 5 LO: -80000 HI: 80000
Genrating taps for new filter   LO:-80000   HI:80000 TW:32000   Taps: 19
setFftRate to "25 fps"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
setFftSize to "8192"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Genrating taps for new filter   LO:-80000   HI:80000 TW:32000   Taps: 19
mir_sdr_usb_ReleaseDeviceIdx DeviceIdx=-1 out of range[0:0]
mir_sdr_usb_GetDevices Dev0:vid=1df7 pid=3010 rev=0207 serno=1708076610 bus=001 port=005 devAvail=1
mir_sdr_usb_SetDeviceIdx idx=0 numDevices=1
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Opened device with idVendor = 0x1df7 idProduct = 0x3010 fwVersion = 0x0207 busNum = 001 portNum = 005
mir_sdr_Init: starting hardware initialization
mir_sdr_Init: gR=60dB fs=2,000MHz rf=98,800MHz bw=1,536MHz if=0,000MHz
DownConvert: Enable=0 DecM=1 OutScale=0 (fs=2,000000 bw=1536 if=0)
initState: numActivePackets=4
mir_sdr_usb_USB DLL: Revision 0.1.1
mir_sdr_2500_Init: fnaddr = 8
mir_sdr_2500_Init: adjusting squelch trim 0x1, rx gating enable 1, tx_trim 0, reg2 = 0x4801
initHw: Register7 = 0x000014
initRfFreqDependentHw(1): Tuner Register0 = 0x04f420
mir_sdr_GpioExtWrite: Addr=0 Data=0x00
mir_sdr_GpioExtWrite: Addr=1 Data=0x00
mir_sdr_GpioExtWrite: Addr=18 Data=0x5d
mir_sdr_GpioExtWrite: Addr=19 Data=0xa5
initRfFreqDependentHw(1): ExtGpioA = 0x5d ExtGpioB = 0xa5
mir_sdr_SetFs: Sample Freq requested 2000000,000000
mir_sdr_SetFs: Fs->FsNomHz+dFsHz=2000000,0+0,0Hz=2000000,0Hz FsToggle->1
mir_sdr_SetRf: f->98800000,000Hz (int=20 frac=af0 afc=0) fSynth:3161600000,000
mir_sdr_SetRf: Rf->RfNomHz+dRfHz+LifHz+Lif1Hz=98800000,0+0,0+0,0Hz+0,0Hz=98800000,0Hz RfToggle->1
mir_sdr_SetGr: GR->60[36,24,0,0] gRset->0x224 DCCALmode=3 DCCALspd=0 GrToggle->1
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
mir_sdr_usb_StreamRead: Read failed to read sufficient data: requested 393216 read 0
mir_sdr_2500_StreamRead: Read failed
[...]
mir_sdr_2500_StreamRead: Read failed again
setToggleStates: failed mir_sdr_2500_StreamRead err=1
initHw: setToggleStates() Error 1
mir_sdr_Init: initHw returns error 7
mir_sdr_GpioExtWrite: Addr=19 Data=0xa5
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.

And it finish by

No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
No audio FFT data.
saveSettings *** FIXME_ SQL on/off
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
mir_sdr_StreamUninit()
mir_sdr_StreamUninit: Failed to terminate Stream Processing thread 0
mir_sdr_usb_ReleaseDeviceIdx 0
Bus error (core dumped)

I didn't have this issue this moorning.

But again, I don't know if it is related to the RSP2.

Alexandru Csete

Jan 7, 2018, 10:31:49 AM1/7/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 3:13 PM, Jeff Long <will...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Added bias=[0|1] to the input string for sdrplay. Note that gqrx remembers
> input strings, so bias voltage will be set to the previous state on a
> restart (even if you've changed to a shorted antenna). Careful.

There have been many wishes to add a dedicated bias control so that it
can be toggle ON/OFF while the application is running, but there is no
dedicated API for this in gr-osmosdr, so it would be "ugly" to
implement it.

But now I am thinking, since you have implemented the filter ON/OFF
switches as gains, the same could be done for the bias T.

Alex

Jeff Long

Jan 7, 2018, 11:24:25 AM1/7/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
The OOOOO... is a source overflow. GQRX does not stop the source when it
stops the display. Some sources show this and some don't, but you can
ignore it.

I haven't used a powered device on the antenna port, but this looks a
little like something drew too much power. Try removing the LNA, getting
things working without bias, then bias on but no LNA connected, then
bias on with LNA connected. If only the last configuration causes this,
then there's probably not enough power on the USB port.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/6e59f429-3835-4c61-8615-1b09af339592%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
> >

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/a088a471-c883-4b74-8fff-b6d814488fbb%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/a088a471-c883-4b74-8fff-b6d814488fbb%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jeff Long

Jan 7, 2018, 11:30:22 AM1/7/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
For GQRX, this would work fine, and the "bias gain" could be handled
specially. But for other users of gr-osmosdr, I can imagine this causing
confusion. At least the broadcast and dab notches are related to
gain/attenuation. I'll give it some more thought. There is also the
potential that people will start breaking hardware if it's too easy to
turn on a bias-t.

Alexandru Csete

Jan 7, 2018, 12:43:03 PM1/7/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 5:24 PM, Jeff Long <will...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The OOOOO... is a source overflow. GQRX does not stop the source when it
> stops the display. Some sources show this and some don't, but you can ignore
> it.

gqrx stops the GNU Radio top block:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/blob/master/src/applications/gqrx/receiver.cpp#L181

That should be sufficient, no?

It's the same problem with the hackrf, where streaming is started in
the constructor and stopped in the destructor. I don't know why.

Alex

Nicolas K

Jan 7, 2018, 1:21:57 PM1/7/18
to Gqrx SDR
Thanks for answers,

I have made some more tests:

First, you're right, no issue for the 000000s.

Second: It seems I mixed 2 issues, because I have removed and plugged the device and I don't have any issue restarting a SDR session in gqrx.
It looks like it's random. It has nothing to do with bias T I was trying.

Third, I confirm, bias T isn't working on my setup.
Using CubicSDR/SoapySDR on the same computer makes the Bias T option powering my LNA but not with GQRX/gr-osmosdr-sdrplay2.

There is no usb power issue from my setup: I often use my LNA with RSP2 & Cubic for hours.

But you're right, it had to be tested again to confirm.

Jeff Long

Jan 7, 2018, 2:23:04 PM1/7/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
It's not really an issue that the SDRplay streamer keeps going. I can
take a look to see whether it makes sense to stop it, and how that would
happen. In any case, I'll get rid of the OOOOO so it doesn't bother users.

Jeff Long

Jan 7, 2018, 2:27:44 PM1/7/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
OK, I might have to wait until I get to somewhere with a voltmeter to
test and see what's going on.
> > an email to gqrx+uns...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:gqrx+uns...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <javascript:>
> > <mailto:gq...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/a088a471-c883-4b74-8fff-b6d814488fbb%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/a088a471-c883-4b74-8fff-b6d814488fbb%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/84570c69-f065-4dc7-b04b-c0d3f7cdbfa3%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/84570c69-f065-4dc7-b04b-c0d3f7cdbfa3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jeff Long

Jan 7, 2018, 3:50:28 PM1/7/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
BiasT: I was trying to set this too early. I think it will work now, but
can't test it myself yet.

Nicolas K

Jan 7, 2018, 6:35:20 PM1/7/18
to Gqrx SDR
I just rebuilt from github, Bias T works now on the RSP2.

Alexandru Csete

Feb 20, 2018, 5:49:04 PM2/20/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to let you know that I have included your sdrplay2 branch
in my binary builds for linux x64 and armv6:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/releases/tag/v2.10

Alex

Jeff Long

Feb 20, 2018, 9:12:07 PM2/20/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear. Let me know if you need any updates.

dxte...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2018, 6:28:57 PM2/28/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hello, will this work for the RSP1? Thought i should ask here before posting a new question. My rtl dongles work fine with GQRX, but only the mirics audio driver shows up in the device menu and using "other and soapy=0,device=sdrplay" does nothing. cubicsdr runs fine with the RSP1 but i much prefer GQRX. I'm running GQRX 2.10 on linux mint 18.3 and the latest SDRPLAY linux API 2.11.1

Jeff Long

Mar 1, 2018, 5:37:34 AM3/1/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it works with RSP1/1A/2. Device descriptor should be:

sdrplay=0

This selects the gr-osmosdr/sdrplay driver. You would use 'soapy' to
select the Soapy driver instead.

On 02/28/2018 06:28 PM, dxte...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, will this work for the RSP1? Thought i should ask here before
> posting a new question. My rtl dongles work fine with GQRX, but only the
> mirics audio driver shows up in the device menu and using "other and
> soapy=0,device=sdrplay" does nothing. cubicsdr runs fine with the RSP1
> but i much prefer GQRX. I'm running GQRX 2.10 on linux mint 18.3 and the
> latest SDRPLAY linux API 2.11.1****
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/3da05033-693e-4c63-a83a-2b88914fa1e4%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/3da05033-693e-4c63-a83a-2b88914fa1e4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alexandru Csete

Mar 1, 2018, 5:54:08 AM3/1/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
And please note that only the binary bundle for 64bit linux and RPI3
that includes the SDRPlay driver:

https://github.com/csete/gqrx/releases/download/v2.10/gqrx-sdr-2.10-linux-x64.tar.xz
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/releases/download/v2.10/gqrx-sdr-2.10-linux-armv6.tar.xz

In both cases you need to copy the udev rule into /etc/udev/rules.d/
before plugging the device in and starting gqrx-

Alex

dxte...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2018, 5:44:09 PM3/1/18
to Gqrx SDR
Thank you Alex and Jeff..i think then as a Mint 32bit user this won't work for me. Are there any instructions for other ways around the issue?

rgrds

Phil.

Jeff Long

Mar 1, 2018, 5:53:56 PM3/1/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Well, you can always build from scratch. Maybe Alex has a script he uses
to make the binary bundles? Sorry, I haven't had anything 32-bit for a
long time.

On 03/01/2018 05:44 PM, dxte...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thank you Alex and Jeff..i think then as a Mint 32bit user this won't
> work for me. Are there any instructions for other ways around the issue?
>
> rgrds
>
> Phil.
>
> On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 9:54:08 PM UTC+11, Alexandru Csete wrote:
>
> And please note that only the binary bundle for 64bit linux and RPI3
> that includes the SDRPlay driver:
>
> https://github.com/csete/gqrx/releases/download/v2.10/gqrx-sdr-2.10-linux-x64.tar.xz
> <https://github.com/csete/gqrx/releases/download/v2.10/gqrx-sdr-2.10-linux-x64.tar.xz>
>
> https://github.com/csete/gqrx/releases/download/v2.10/gqrx-sdr-2.10-linux-armv6.tar.xz
> <https://github.com/csete/gqrx/releases/download/v2.10/gqrx-sdr-2.10-linux-armv6.tar.xz>
>

> In both cases you need to copy the udev rule into /etc/udev/rules.d/
> before plugging the device in and starting gqrx-
>
> Alex
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/299160f9-48e3-4398-9cb8-d3036bff9056%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/299160f9-48e3-4398-9cb8-d3036bff9056%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alexandru Csete

Mar 1, 2018, 6:25:25 PM3/1/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
You can try the Ubuntu PPA. It comes with SoapySDR support then you
can build the soapysdrplay plugin yourself and tell SoapySDR where to
look for it. It could work through that way.

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/299160f9-48e3-4398-9cb8-d3036bff9056%40googlegroups.com.

dxte...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2018, 8:14:51 PM3/1/18
to Gqrx SDR
Thank you gentlemen, i will see what i can manage, if i have any joy i will report back. And thank you Alex for a program that is beautiful and functional.

rgrds

Phil

Nicolas K

Mar 3, 2018, 6:59:13 PM3/3/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Jeff,

Does your gr-osmosdr with sdrplay support can enable the input ref clock on the RSP2 ?

I plan to use a GPSDO to sync my RSP with.

Jeff Long

Mar 4, 2018, 7:06:26 AM3/4/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
It does not currently, but I can add another device parameter to do that
sometime soon.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/14c987fc-4c6d-4769-8cc3-fd0dd4ccbc97%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/14c987fc-4c6d-4769-8cc3-fd0dd4ccbc97%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jeff Long

Mar 4, 2018, 7:21:23 AM3/4/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
REF In is detected in hardware, so no software support is required. See
the application note on SDRplay's site. REF Out is software
controllable, to allow for chaining of clocks.

Nicolas K

Mar 4, 2018, 11:19:51 AM3/4/18
to Gqrx SDR
Thanks Jeff, REF IN is what I need.

righthal...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2018, 12:39:40 AM3/7/18
to Gqrx SDR
  Hi Jeff,

 I tried the latest version of gqrx from MacPorts on my mac pro using RSP1 and RSP2. It finds the devices, but they just break into oscillation when I start them up. On the other hand - if I run them with CubicSDR first and then start them with gqrx, they actually seem to work normally. (I am not quit sure how to use this system)

Dale.

Jeff Long

Mar 7, 2018, 7:16:57 AM3/7/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
What is "break into oscillation"? As a guess, add attenuation. The gains
are really attenuations for the SDRplay, so the sliders are backward
from what you might expect. I haven't tried MacPorts, so I don't know if
there's anything specific to that.
> >> an email to gqrx+uns...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> >> <mailto:gqrx+uns...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <javascript:>
> >> <mailto:gq...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/14c987fc-4c6d-4769-8cc3-fd0dd4ccbc97%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/29a60408-6565-4ffd-8517-ff017de65e4b%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/29a60408-6565-4ffd-8517-ff017de65e4b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

righthal...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2018, 5:38:37 PM3/8/18
to Gqrx SDR
It was the version of gr-osmosdr that MacPorts is using with gqrx on MacOS Sierra and MacOS High Sierra that was causing the problem. When I linked in your version from above of gr-osmosdr,  my RSP1 and RSP2 both worked well on MacOS Sierra and MacOS High Sierra and uBuntu 16.04 LTS. The clang compiler gave some warnings that I assume are meaningless -

/Users/dir/Desktop/gr-osmosdr-JeffLong/lib/sdrplay/sdrplay_source_c.cc:381:14: warning: use of logical '&&' with constant operand
      [-Wconstant-logical-operand]
  if (reason && (int)mir_sdr_CHANGE_FS_FREQ)
             ^  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Users/dir/Desktop/gr-osmosdr-JeffLong/lib/sdrplay/sdrplay_source_c.cc:381:14: note: use '&' for a bitwise operation
  if (reason && (int)mir_sdr_CHANGE_FS_FREQ)
             ^~
             &
/Users/dir/Desktop/gr-osmosdr-JeffLong/lib/sdrplay/sdrplay_source_c.cc:381:14: note: remove constant to silence this warning
  if (reason && (int)mir_sdr_CHANGE_FS_FREQ)
            ~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really hate apple's warnings, you fix them once and then the next version of the compiler wants you to fix them another way.

   Dale.

Jeff Long

Mar 8, 2018, 7:08:38 PM3/8/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Compiler is right - that's a bug. Fortunately it just calls a routine
more often than needed and apparently has little effect. Thanks for the
report, and I'm glad the library works for you.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/6275de8a-932c-4163-b1bb-ba685ecef62c%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/6275de8a-932c-4163-b1bb-ba685ecef62c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Dimi S

Mar 14, 2018, 6:33:48 PM3/14/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hello from Romania,

I will be getting a SDRplay in a month or so and I thought if there are some important functions supported in SDRuno and not in CubicSDR or Gqrx, such as Synchronous AM mode and some digital modes ( DRM, DAB ).

Aside from that, is there any significant difference between SDRuno and Gqrx or CubicSDR regarding filters in all modes?

I also found out a dedicated distro for SDR , Skywave Linux, based on Ubuntu MATE 16.04  what do you think of it?

https://skywavelinux.com/

Thank you in advance for all your support!