Ubuntu 18.04 - "error while loading shared libraries: libQt5Network.so.5" error

Alex

May 5, 2018, 12:36:08 PM5/5/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hello.  As I mentioned over on GitHub, I am new to posting questions in general, so please let me know if I've missed something.

I am wondering if someone can assist me in figuring out my issue posted on GitHub.  Details are listed there, but here's a recap of my problem:

The error I have received after running "gqrx" and following the installation instructions here is:

  "gqrx: error while loading shared libraries: libQt5Network.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

I am running Ubuntu 18.04.

Yesterday, I was using a fresh install of Ubuntu 18 and started installing GNURadio by PyBOMBS, but then wanted to install GQRX and followed the Ubuntu installation instructions.  The same error I listed above appears and I proceeded to install all libqt5 packages:

"sudo apt-get install libqt5*"

which did not seem to help my problem.  With nothing to lose, I reinstalled Ubuntu 18, thinking that the PyBOMBS install had left something behind...  Unfortunately, the error is rather vague and a few hours of research didn't seem to reveal any solutions.  I am probably missing something, as I am a Linux novice. :)

Any thoughts?  Is there a way I can get more info on this error?

Thank you.

Simon Kennedy

May 5, 2018, 2:39:49 PM5/5/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

As a novice I wouldn't touch PyBombs with a bargepole. Version 1 worked for me but I've had all sorts of problems with PyBombs2. I tried to install gqrx with PyBombs2 last week on a fresh install of Xubuntu 18.04 but had so many problems I gave up.

Alex C pointed me to the AppImage available from the Downloads page on gqrx.dk. Easy to install and the only additional thing I had to do was install the udev rules.

It might be worth having a look at it as it will save a lot time.

Simon.

Alexandru Csete

May 5, 2018, 5:52:48 PM5/5/18
to Gqrx
Alex,

If it is no big deal, try a fresh install of Ubuntu, make sure you
format the hard drive in the process in order to eliminate all traces
of pybombs, and then install from the PPA using the instructions here:
http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu

When I tested the packages for 18.04 I was running a fresh install of
Xubuntu, so I wold expect all dependencies to be correctly included. I
will try to test again if you have no luck.

You can also try one of the other binaries as suggested by Simon.

Alex

Al Womelsdorf

May 6, 2018, 10:39:47 AM5/6/18
to Gqrx SDR
Just as an FYI, I run Fedora rather than Ubuntu, so things might be slightly different, but nothing too great. I just installed gqrx from the normal Fedora repositories, and that brings in all the other parts that were not already installed. The program runs right away, without complaints about libraries. Fedora is currently at version 2.10, so I also downloaded the latest AppImage as suggested above, and that also ran without issue. Also, at least in my distro, the libQt5network library is provided by the qt5-qtbase package.

Good luck

Al

Alex

May 8, 2018, 5:11:36 PM5/8/18
to Gqrx SDR
Alex,

Thanks for getting back to me.

While I cannot reinstall Ubuntu at this time, I attempted to use the most recent App Image available here (release 2.11.4).  It worked on my Ubuntu 16.04 installation on my laptop, so I think I'm good to go now.

Thanks!

Alex

May 9, 2018, 10:54:06 AM5/9/18
to Gqrx SDR
Alex et al,

I resolved my problem by resolving some Qt library issues.  Gqrx works on my Ubuntu 18.04 installation now. :)

I cannot imagine why there were Qt library issues on a fresh installation of Ubuntu, but essentially I used the ldd command on libraries that presumably had missing dependencies.  I reinstalled libraries that had broken symlinks/missing dependencies.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else had a problem like this.

Thanks.

Robin Gape

May 9, 2018, 6:06:07 PM5/9/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Alex,

in case you don't already use it, Synaptic is very good at pointing out missing dependencies. After installing Synaptic, then the Status button will set up a display with various dynamically allocated options. One of these is Broken packages (or something similar—it doesn't happen often!).

Personally, I find Synaptic much more useful and productive than the Software Center (or its equivalent in 18.04).

HTH,

Robin, G8DQX