RTL-SDR on Raspberry 7" Montor Freezing

Maurice Craft

Feb 12, 2018, 1:06:27 PM2/12/18
to Gqrx SDR

I've installed GQRX on a SD card for Raspberry Pi 3 with a 7" Raspberry Pi monitor (not a knock off).  GQRX runs  for 2 or 3 seconds and then freezes.  If I take the SD card out and insert it into another RPi 3 and attach it to a a full size monitor it works flawlessly.  There must a setting I am missing.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Robert Eckelmann

Feb 13, 2018, 7:13:11 AM2/13/18
to Gqrx SDR
Have you tried running GQRX from a shell?terminal like xterm and could see the texts that gqrx output?

I assume that the screen is too small and that is what causes gqrx to crash..

mcraft1946

Feb 13, 2018, 11:36:45 AM2/13/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I formatted the SDRPlay card. Started over. It now works. However , it runs hot! Thanks for the info.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Adrian Musceac

Feb 14, 2018, 5:11:26 AM2/14/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com

> I assume that the screen is too small and that is what causes gqrx to
> crash..

That's not how X11 rendering works, an application can't crash because
of insufficient screen space.
I would check the current drawn from the power supply. Gqrx demands a
lot of resources, it would not be surprising if the power supply
failed to deliver the amps on high load (had this happening with a 2 A
iPad supply, replaced with 3 A port, working fine).

Cheers,
Adrian