A Guiding Hand Please! GQRX and Audio

Michael Jackson

May 29, 2016, 10:49:18 PM5/29/16
to Gqrx SDR
After much angst getting a Linux distro and usable GQRX, I think I'm just about there!

I have Ubuntu 14.04 and latest GQRX for Ubuntu, the install went well and I can connect and listen to my Cloud-IQ though still some issues saving the configurations but understand that may be work in progress with Alex.

The issue I have is recording audio.  I hear the audio just fine with default sound settings.  I have used Audacity a lot in Windows but when it comes to Linux the app hears no input.  The device options in Audacity include sysdefault, default and pulseaduio.  I understand that pulseaduio is the GQRX default but for each of this input options I get a flat line and no audio.

I think the mixer options in Linux are significantly different than those in Windows so I think this is where I need a hand.

My computer is an Acer laptop, less than a year old, with Intel chip based audio (Realtek?).  In this distro there is a myriad of audio 'production' apps and 'media playback' apps that I've skimmed over but can't see anything obvious.

Is there anybody with a similar issue who has found a solution to recording audio from GQRX?

Thanks,
Michael

Alexandru Csete

May 30, 2016, 11:18:52 AM5/30/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hello Michael,

Do you wish to record the output of gqrx in Audacity directly? If so,
then you should select pulseaudio as input in Audacity and use the
pavucontrol utility to select "Monitor of Built-in Audio ..." as
capture source for Audacity, see for example

http://www.pe0sat.vgnet.nl/decoding/unix-tlm-decoding/

On the other, gqrx can record the audio in a standard .WAV file so you
don't need to do this routing if all you want is a recording of the
audio.

Alex
> --
Message has been deleted

Michael Jackson

May 31, 2016, 4:12:57 PM5/31/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alex,

Thank you I will try the pavucontrol but think that I already have been down that road with no luck.  I think the issue with the built in recorder is the file size it creates, but I've not done a very good job on confirming that yet which is why I wanted to record through Audacity to see the file size difference.

I'll report back on successes soon.

Michael

Michael Jackson

Jun 2, 2016, 5:04:01 PM6/2/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alex,

Thank you, the process with Audacity works fine having taken your advice.

Regards,
Michael