Transceiver with IF output as up-converter

M0IIW

May 1, 2018, 9:13:37 AM5/1/18
to Gqrx SDR

I have an Icom IC-718 fitted with IF output This is connected to an RTL-SDR V3 dongle, it acts as an HF up-converter.

Question: given the IF is 64.455 Mhz, how do I set up GQRX to tune, say, 40 Metres?

73

Alexandru Csete

May 2, 2018, 3:13:26 PM5/2/18
to Gqrx
You can tune gqrx to receive 64.455 MHz, you can even configure and LO
frequency so that it display 7 MHz, but gqrx will not be able to
change the frequency of your IC-718 if that is what you are asking.
Perhaps some of the external applications can do that:
http://gqrx.dk/doc/external-applications

Alex

norman campbell

May 3, 2018, 5:59:48 AM5/3/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply Alex.

I am only interested in displaying frequencies in bands 160, 80 and 40. I am not interested in controlling the rig

I would like to change bands using the IC-718, but tune across each band using GQRX.

If I select say, 40M on the IC-718, and then set GQRX to the IF of 64.455 Mhz,  how do I configure the LO to display the frequencies in that band?

Do I enter a negative number to offset 64.455 Mhz?

What would I expect to see if I then change to another band?

please forgive me if I sound a bit thick.

73.

Alexander Fasching

May 3, 2018, 6:04:51 AM5/3/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
You can try this:
https://github.com/alexf91/gqrx-panadapter

I wrote this a while ago for my FT-817.
The program reads the frequency of the radio via rigctl and sets the LO
frequency of Gqrx.

On 05/03/2018 11:59 AM, norman campbell wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Alex.
>
> I am only interested in displaying frequencies in bands 160, 80 and 40.
> I am not interested in controlling the rig
>
> I would like to change bands using the IC-718, but tune across each band
> using GQRX.
>
> If I select say, 40M on the IC-718, and then set GQRX to the IF of
> 64.455 Mhz,  how do I configure the LO to display the frequencies in
> that band?
>
> Do I enter a negative number to offset 64.455 Mhz?
>
> What would I expect to see if I then change to another band?
>
> please forgive me if I sound a bit thick.
>
> 73.
>
> On 2 May 2018 at 20:13, Alexandru Csete <oz9...@gmail.com
> <mailto:oz9...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 3:13 PM, M0IIW <norman...@gmail.com
> <mailto:norman...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > I have an Icom IC-718 fitted with IF output This is connected to an RTL-SDR
> > V3 dongle, it acts as an HF up-converter.
> >
> > Question: given the IF is 64.455 Mhz, how do I set up GQRX to tune, say, 40
> > Metres?
>
> You can tune gqrx to receive 64.455 MHz, you can even configure and LO
> frequency so that it display 7 MHz, but gqrx will not be able to
> change the frequency of your IC-718 if that is what you are asking.
> Perhaps some of the external applications can do that:
> http://gqrx.dk/doc/external-applications
> <http://gqrx.dk/doc/external-applications>
>
> Alex
>
> --
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAMPCAUe3Z3vj_wRSg%3DaJsNyK%2BBiV1b5_88hyFjTX2huzMOanmg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAMPCAUe3Z3vj_wRSg%3DaJsNyK%2BBiV1b5_88hyFjTX2huzMOanmg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alexander Fasching

May 3, 2018, 6:09:44 AM5/3/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
The LO frequency is calculated by (frequency of the radio - IF)
It will be negative on HF.

norman campbell

May 3, 2018, 6:14:14 AM5/3/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Alex. Now I am tempted to experiment with controlling my rig!

Best wishes

    <mailto:gq...@googlegroups.com>.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_f3sVkxz-BNgFurprNuDVCag9h7kWzk7LcGB40GGjr52w%40mail.gmail.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_f3sVkxz-BNgFurprNuDVCag9h7kWzk7LcGB40GGjr52w%40mail.gmail.com>.
    <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Simon Kennedy

May 3, 2018, 6:30:15 AM5/3/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Or you can try mine: https://github.com/g0fcu/gqrx-hamlib-gui

although mine doesn't set the LO frequency because I didn't realise that option existed but otherwise it synchronises gqrx and the rig via rigctl.

So many choices!

norman campbell

May 3, 2018, 7:18:10 AM5/3/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for that Simon, just took a gander, are you still using it?  Using linux?

73

Simon Kennedy

May 3, 2018, 7:37:28 AM5/3/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Norman,

Yes, still using it in Linux. Last week I upgraded to Xubuntu 18.04 LTS and it works ok.

73 Simon
G0FCU

    <mailto:gq...@googlegroups.com>.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_f3sVkxz-BNgFurprNuDVCag9h7kWzk7LcGB40GGjr52w%40mail.gmail.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_f3sVkxz-BNgFurprNuDVCag9h7kWzk7LcGB40GGjr52w%40mail.gmail.com>.
    <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

norman campbell

May 3, 2018, 7:41:28 AM5/3/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Nice one Simon, I will let you know how I manage when I get things going. Thanks for the interest by the way.

73

    <mailto:gq...@googlegroups.com>.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_f3sVkxz-BNgFurprNuDVCag9h7kWzk7LcGB40GGjr52w%40mail.gmail.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_f3sVkxz-BNgFurprNuDVCag9h7kWzk7LcGB40GGjr52w%40mail.gmail.com>.
    <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Dave Baxter

May 4, 2018, 8:03:40 AM5/4/18
to Gqrx SDR
Very nice!

Short sweet and to the point.

73.

  Dave G0WBX.

Dave Baxter

May 4, 2018, 8:14:06 AM5/4/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hi SImon.

One thing, it may be obvious to you, but what directory should you be in, to install all that?

Only ask, as I once got into terrible trouble with pip, when doing similar while "resident" in the wrong directory.

On that occasion, I needed to rub out the entire Python environment and start again.
Thankfully, I had backups of my projects, but even so, it was a lot of time wasted.

Reply off list if needed, so as not to polute this thread.

73.  Dave G0WBX.

Alexandru Csete

May 4, 2018, 9:23:46 AM5/4/18
to Gqrx
On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Alexander Fasching
<faschi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can try this:
> https://github.com/alexf91/gqrx-panadapter
>
> I wrote this a while ago for my FT-817.
> The program reads the frequency of the radio via rigctl and sets the LO
> frequency of Gqrx.

For some unknown reason, this never made it to the web page, but it is
now there: http://gqrx.dk/doc/external-applications

Alex

Simon Kennedy

May 4, 2018, 10:40:54 AM5/4/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave

I understand pip3 will install into a system directory (hence the need to run the command with sudo).

I used the process as defined in the gqrx-hamlib-gui GitHub Readme last weekend after installing Xubuntu 18.04 from scratch and gqrxHamlib installed into /usr/local/bin with no problem

73 Simon.

norman campbell

May 4, 2018, 3:19:09 PM5/4/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com