GR-UHD detected ABI compatibility mismatch with UHD library.

simonh...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2016, 9:05:08 AM11/30/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hello everybody,

I just installed GQRX following this Guide (with PPA) on a clean Ubuntu 16.04 installation. Everything seemed to work well but when I start GQRX, the following error occurs:

FATAL:
GR
-UHD detected ABI compatibility mismatch with UHD library.
GR
-UHD was build against ABI: 3.10.0,
but UHD library reports ABI
: 3.10.1
Suggestion: install an ABI compatible version of UHD,
or rebuild GR-UHD component against this ABI version.

Does anybody of you know, how to solve this problem? How can I get the correct version of UHD/GR-UHD and how can I build it without running into any other problems?

Thank you very much in advance!

Alexandru Csete

Nov 30, 2016, 9:32:18 AM11/30/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
It looks like Ettus have updated their driver bbreaking binary
compatibility with our packages. I will try to rebuild gnuradio.
Please do not attempt to install anything from source.

Alex

simonh...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2016, 3:31:12 AM12/5/16
to Gqrx SDR
After Alexandru has rebuilt the gnuradio everything works fine after updating! Thank you very much!

Alexandru Csete

Dec 5, 2016, 2:40:14 PM12/5/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reporting back Simon. A small correction, I didn't rebuild
GNU Radio, I asked Josh to do it :-)

Alex

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 9:31 AM, <simonh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After Alexandru has rebuilt the gnuradio everything works fine after
> updating! Thank you very much!
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/753f93a9-e1af-4638-aee6-a76f84d53814%40googlegroups.com.

simonh...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2016, 2:46:20 PM12/5/16
to Gqrx SDR
In that case, thanks to Josh, too!

luis olvera

Dec 28, 2016, 8:53:29 PM12/28/16
to Gqrx SDR

Hi, I am still having this problems when I am trying to compile my GNURadio program, I have unistalled and reinstalled GNURadio and UHD packages but I am still having the same problem, do you know how can I fix this problem?

 Using Volk machine: sse4_1_64_orc
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/user/Documentos/GNU/GNU20dic/top_block.py", line 210, in <module>
    tb = top_block()
  File "/home/user/Documentos/GNU/GNU20dic/top_block.py", line 71, in __init__
    channels=range(1),
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/uhd/__init__.py", line 122, in constructor_interceptor
    return old_constructor(*args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/uhd/uhd_swig.py", line 2476, in make
    return _uhd_swig.usrp_sink_make(*args)
RuntimeError:
GR-UHD detected ABI compatibility mismatch with UHD library.
GR-UHD was build against ABI: 3.9.0-0,

but UHD library reports ABI: 3.10.1
Suggestion: install an ABI compatible version of UHD,
or rebuild GR-UHD component against this ABI version.

Regards

Cryptik

Aug 8, 2017, 2:16:54 AM8/8/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alexandru, it appears that Ettus has updated their PPA again.  I am trying to install gqrx on a clean 16.04 system using the same guide listed about and I am now getting an ABI mismatch between 3.10.1 and 3.10.2.  I am not sure how to fix this..and based on your recommendation above, I should not install UHD from source.  Any advice on how I can fix this?

FATAL:
GR-UHD detected ABI compatibility mismatch with UHD library.
GR-UHD was build against ABI: 3.10.1,
but UHD library reports ABI: 3.10.2
Suggestion: install an ABI compatible version of UHD,
or rebuild GR-UHD component against this ABI version.

thx

Alexandru Csete

Aug 8, 2017, 2:27:52 AM8/8/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
When UHD is updated to an incompatible version, then everything that
depends on it needs to be updated, in this case gr-uhd and gr-osmosdr.
Please request an update at
https://discourse.myriadrf.org/c/projects/packaging, hopefully Josh or
I can find the time in the coming days.

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/d47ba37a-91e9-4074-a80d-c2df85cedf81%40googlegroups.com.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Cryptik

Aug 8, 2017, 7:57:55 AM8/8/17
to Gqrx SDR
Thanks Alex.  I posted a request on the forum you indicated.  I am pretty new to this...so this question may be very basic.  So after installed the gnuradio software via the PPAs mentioned in the guide, is there a way to install a specific version?  By that I mean if the latest UHD from the ettus repo is newer, can I request that apt-get install the older version that works with the ppa version of gnuRadio?  I tried specifying a version (i.e. package=version) but this does not seem to work.  I guess I could install uhd from source, but this will then break the repo updates going forward.  Is the best thing to do just to wait for the update?

thx

Alexandru Csete

Aug 8, 2017, 10:26:06 AM8/8/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I think if you go to the UHD PPA web page you can download earlier
versions of UHD and "force install" it using dpkg or gdebi.

This is a really stupid issue that annoys me a lot :-(

Alex
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/44ed24ac-e8cc-457a-9c22-ca35030ce659%40googlegroups.com.

Cryptik

Aug 8, 2017, 11:53:39 AM8/8/17
to Gqrx SDR
Yeah, I can imagine that its a real pain from a configuration management perspective.  You would think that there would be better separation between the UHD interface and the other components that use it.  However, I am certainly oversimplifying the problem.... I have not looked under the covers yet and am just getting started with GnuRadio.  I was using an E312 from Ettus and had similar issues. That unit complicates it even more since its ARM and you have to have a cross compiler setup to build packages.  I switched back to an N210 until I have something working that I can deploy.  Its a much easier device to work with.

Ken

Robin Gape

Aug 8, 2017, 3:58:33 PM8/8/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Ken,

to save you some cuss-words and searching, the packages that you want are to be found at:

https://launchpad.net/~ettusresearch/+archive/ubuntu/uhd/+builds?build_state=built

I'd recommend:

1) installing the UHD packages using gdebi, since it's GUI driven

2) when that is done, and after checking that all is well with GQRX, then use synaptic to lock the version of each UHD package. (In synaptic Package→Lock Version)

3) As and when GQRX is updated, then you'll probably want to unlock the versions of the UHD packages

Why does this happen? The issue is that the ABI would appear to have changed between minor versions. Since ABI incompatibility is only noticed at runtime...

Ettus Research will be using a machine (or OS partition) dedicated to the USRP hardware, and are likely to be installing GNU Radio using a script, and this issue will, probably, pass them by unless customers & users complain. For most of us, though, the hassle involved in building GNU Radio &c. &c. from source is reminiscent of chasing alligators rather than clearing the swamp.

HTH,

Robin, G8DQX

Cryptik

Aug 8, 2017, 7:21:07 PM8/8/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Robin,  Thanks for that advice.  I have been using apt-get, but just for the basics.  I had no idea that synaptic supported those kinds of features (i.e. locking versions).  I will certainly check it out.  For now, I was able to remove UHD and Gnuradio installed with via the PPAs and then I removed the PPAs and installed the 16.04 distro versions.  It worked for what I was trying to do (trying to build an AIS transceiver with GNURadio).  Once the PPAs are stable again, I will reinstall the latest versions and then use your advice regarding synaptic to lock them down.  Great stuff here.

V/r
Ken

Alexandru Csete

Aug 9, 2017, 1:21:39 PM8/9/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,

I don't know if the PPA will ever be stable, but there are now freshly
built gnuradio packages using the latest UHD. I am hoping that
rebuilding gr-osmosdr is not necessary but let me know if it does not
work.

Alex