Only Hearing Static but I suspect talking

Kelvin Barnes

Sep 25, 2016, 11:41:53 PM9/25/16
to Gqrx SDR
I am new to Gwrx SDR.

I live a few miles southeast of Baltimore, MD and I believe I should be hearing something on 136 Mhz. All I get is static.
Hopefully the attached picture provides enough information for someone to make some suggestions.
Screenshot from 2016-09-25 23-37-16.png

Kevin Reid

Sep 25, 2016, 11:52:15 PM9/25/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 8:41 PM, Kelvin Barnes <barn...@gmail.com> wrote:
I live a few miles southeast of Baltimore, MD and I believe I should be hearing something on 136 Mhz. All I get is static.

That looks like noise (RFI) to me. Note that while the signal is varying in frequency, it's doing so in a random-walk kind of fashion.

A FM signal with actual audio modulation will look symmetric on the waterfall, because (most of) the audio frequencies are much higher than the time resolution of the waterfall plot. An AM signal will always look symmetric since it has identical sidebands.

Robin Gape

Sep 26, 2016, 5:20:37 AM9/26/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Kelvin,

1) what aerial are you using? Is it indoors or outside? Is it in the clear, or surrounded by other buildings, trees &c.?

2) The airband frequencies for BWI (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1113) don't seem to include anything on 136MHz

3) can you hear WBJC on 91.5MHz?

4) have you adjusted the frequency offset against a known good transmission?

5) the old advice of the best aerial you can manage, as high as possible still applies. For general coverage a discone makes a good broadband aerial, and can be homebrewed if you've time, patience, imagination and some spare wire! (For instance, see: http://www.northcountryradio.com/Articles/discone.htm and this article is quite practical in terms of both indoor or outdoor construction: http://www.repeater-builder.com/antenna/pdf/discone.pdf. Or you may be able simply to buy something suitable!

Good luck,

Robin, G8DQX

tommy davachi

Sep 28, 2016, 3:20:16 PM9/28/16
to Gqrx SDR
its alright to feel like you are hearing voices. the static makes you feel like that. but yes if you are inside and with not a very good antenna expect not receiving much. if you know what that frequency is you can go closer to source and try. ( although if its police or emergency or air traffic I wouldnt get so close) . try buying or making a better outdoor antenna and try again. try buying an antenna amp and try. Im about a mile away from my municipal airport and with my hackrf and its stock antenna I barely get my airport air traffic. its normal

Galen Thurber

Oct 15, 2016, 9:56:03 AM10/15/16
to Gqrx SDR
it is what I call  a swiggle, wiggling static.
The freq is not stable and it maybe there one day and not the other

good place to search for freq
http://www.interceptradio.com/
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/