gqrxHamlib + Gqrx as panadapter

Matt Trull

Oct 12, 2017, 9:35:03 AM10/12/17
to Gqrx SDR
I was able to get gqrxHamlib installed and appears to be working. I'm new to SDR, especially with this setup, and have a few questions.
  • What does each sync option do?
  • What would be a typical use case for the various sync options?
  • Which buttons should be lit, and what color? Green means "activated/enabled?"
  • What LNB LO frequency should I use when using Gqrx as a panadapter? The radio is an IC-7410 with IF of 64.455MHz
  • With an RTL dongle, I have seen examples in HDSDR where a frequency offset is used, does this come into play with Gqrx? If yes, what is the best way to set that? Is there an offset possible per mode, ie: SSB vs CW?
  • What is the polling frequency between gqrxHamlib and hamlib? Maybe I just missed that somewhere.

Thanks,

Matt

Simon Kennedy

Oct 12, 2017, 10:58:52 AM10/12/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt

I wrote the gqrxHamlib interface, I'll get back to you later with answers to your questions.

Simon.

Simon Kennedy

Oct 12, 2017, 3:57:32 PM10/12/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,
    • What does each sync option do?
      • One-off - gqrx-->Hamlib - sends the current gqrx frequency to the radio once only
      • One-off - gqrx<--Hamlib - sets gqrx to the current radio frequency once only
      • Continuous - gqrx<-->Hamlib - maintains frequency sync between gqrx and radio whether you tune gqrx or the radio
      • Continuous - gqrx-->Hamlib - sets the gqrx frequency on the radio - one way continuously
      • Continuous - gqrx<--Hamlib - sets the radio frequency on gqrx - continuously
      • Disable sync - stops all sync activities, also useful if the program hits a problem, press Disable Sync and then the sync mode you want to start it cleanly again
    • What would be a typical use case for the various sync options? Whatever you want but typically to use the features of gqrx like really good filtering while being able to switch to the radio for tuning or transmitting.
    • Which buttons should be lit, and what color? Green means "activated/enabled?" Red means enabled
    • What LNB LO frequency should I use when using Gqrx as a panadapter? The radio is an IC-7410 with IF of 64.455MHz LNB LO frequency in gqrx should be set to zero (it's used if you are using an upconverter), the IF frequency in gqrxHamlib should be set to 64.455MHz and the IF option selected in settings only if you have an IF output from the radio to your SDR receiver (however in this mode it is not possible for me replicate the actual tuned frequency between the rig and gqrx).
    • With an RTL dongle, I have seen examples in HDSDR where a frequency offset is used, does this come into play with Gqrx? If yes, what is the best way to set that? Is there an offset possible per mode, ie: SSB vs CW? Not sure what you mean by this unless it is the frequency correction that RTL dongles need. In gqrx this can be entered into the 'Freq. Correction' box in the Input Controls tab. It is only needed once as it sets the correction for all modes.
    • What is the polling frequency between gqrxHamlib and hamlib? Maybe I just missed that somewhere. It is 'about' every 0.2 seconds.
    Hope this helps.

    Regards
    Simon.

    Matt Trull

    Oct 12, 2017, 4:30:48 PM10/12/17
    to Gqrx SDR
    Thanks Simon! That does make things more clear. I should be able to use those options to either keep things sync'd or operate in split mode, utilizing gqrx as a second receiver. I think that I will need to experiment a little bit with frequency correction for the dongle that I am using. Right now when my radio is tuned in, the signal is not centered in gqrx. After a bit of experimentation I think I can get this zeroed in. I believe that HDSDR supports separate frequency offset/corrections for each mode (SSB vs CW), but this is probably fine. I was having a bit of trouble changing sync modes once I had initially selected one. I'll experiment with this some more also.

    Matt

    Simon Kennedy

    Oct 12, 2017, 5:51:46 PM10/12/17
    to gq...@googlegroups.com
    In the settings menu item there is a check box that will sync mode when it is checked.

    My RTL dongle needs a correction of -10ppm.

    Simon.

    Matt Trull

    Oct 12, 2017, 10:17:01 PM10/12/17
    to Gqrx SDR
    I think I have it working fairly well now. It took a frequency correction of -56ppm which seems like a lot. It's a cheap R820T unit that is one of the older designs. I just ordered a newer R820T2 based device and will readjust once I get that. Thanks again!

    Matt
    Simon.

    Andrew Rich

    Oct 12, 2017, 10:55:18 PM10/12/17