RFC: Marker in spectrum display

wofritzyt

May 27, 2017, 3:13:56 AM5/27/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hi,

I am using gqrx as the second receiver with my TS590SG. I connect TS590SQ and gqrx with a program based on an early version of Simon Kennedy's gqrx-hamlib.

This is working fine, but in split mode, I missed the indication of the TRX frequency in the gqrx spectrum display.

So I added a marker that can be set via a new remote command \set_marker.

See attached screen shot. The marker frequency can be displayed an an absolute frequency or the delta to the demodulator center frequency.

Currently, it is only "one way", you can not control the TRX frequency by moving the marker with the mouse etc., but this will follow as soon as I understand how to do it ;-)

Also attached is a patch against current master for those who want to test it.

Regards,
Wolf, DK7OB

gqrx_marker.png
0001-Added-marker-to-spectrum-display.patch

Alexandru Csete

May 28, 2017, 7:14:23 AM5/28/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hello Wolf,

Interesting patch :-)

As I recall, the hamlib API has already a function for setting split
frequency. Couldn't we use that isntead of adding a new command?

Ideally, a patch like this should be on github (e.g. pull request).
The problem with having it here on the mailing list is that it will
slowly disappear as times goes.

Alex

Alexandru Csete

May 30, 2017, 2:22:27 PM5/30/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Wolf,

Lets keep the discussion public...

"man rigctld" tells me:

I, set_split_freq 'Tx Frequency'
Set 'TX Frequency', in Hz.

i, get_split_freq
Get 'TX Frequency', in Hz.

Isn't this what you need?

Also, I am not too crazy about adding a new GUI option for this. I
understand the temptation for making everything configurable, but we
have to be careful with not confusing people unnecessarily.

Alex

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Wolfgang Fritz <wolfgan...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 28.05.2017 um 13:14 schrieb Alexandru Csete:
>>
>> Hello Wolf,
>>
>> Interesting patch :-)
>>
>> As I recall, the hamlib API has already a function for setting split
>> frequency. Couldn't we use that isntead of adding a new command?
>>

> I found
>
> S, set_split_vfo Split, TX VFO
>
> But this is not what I want. I want more or less the second
> receiver/transceiver frequency displayed in the gqrx window. I am also
> planning to show the TRX passband (currently, I clone the gqrx passband to
> the marker). So I want to expand the marker command to
>
> \set_marker center_frequency passband_low_cut passband_high_cut
>
>> Ideally, a patch like this should be on github (e.g. pull request).
>> The problem with having it here on the mailing list is that it will
>> slowly disappear as times goes.
>>

> I am not familiar with github, I'll look into it.

wofritzyt

May 31, 2017, 2:33:51 AM5/31/17
to Gqrx SDR

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 8:22:27 PM UTC+2, Alexandru Csete wrote:
Wolf,

Lets keep the discussion public...

Sorry, answered with my mail tool and didn't notice the answer was not going to the list.

"man rigctld" tells me:

       I, set_split_freq 'Tx Frequency'
              Set 'TX Frequency', in Hz.

       i, get_split_freq
              Get 'TX Frequency', in Hz.

Isn't this what you need?

We could use it but I also want to display the mode and the filter passband with the marker, so extended the command to

\set_marker frequency mode lowcut highcut

When this works, I plan to implement the other direction, so I can control frequency and filter settings of the TRX from gqrx.

Also, I am not too crazy about adding a new GUI option for this. I
understand the temptation for making everything configurable, but we
have to be careful with not confusing people unnecessarily.

OK. I really use this GUI option ;-) If a am working a split operation, I set the marker to relative display so I see my offset to the DX station immediately. When I use gqrx for navigation on the band, I prefer the absolute frequency display.

The code is addressing my specific operation style and may not be useful enough for others to justify the rather intrusive modifications in the code. I send a new patch when everything is complete and working.

Regards,
Wolf, DK7OB