Bandwidth help

Elijah Lord-Minniti

Mar 14, 2017, 9:25:38 PM3/14/17
to Gqrx SDR
 Im new to SDR and im trying to mess around with GSM sniffing from my phone. The bandwidth my carrier runs on is 1900MHz but GQRX seems to only go up to 1700ish MHz. Is there any way to make it go higher? Im using the RTL-SDR E4000.

Simon Kennedy

Mar 15, 2017, 3:48:27 AM3/15/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Gqrx will tune to any frequency. We need more information to help. Also please explain what you have tried so far.

Simon.

On 15 Mar 2017 01:25, "Elijah Lord-Minniti" <elij...@gmail.com> wrote:
 Im new to SDR and im trying to mess around with GSM sniffing from my phone. The bandwidth my carrier runs on is 1900MHz but GQRX seems to only go up to 1700ish MHz. Is there any way to make it go higher? Im using the RTL-SDR E4000.

Alexander F.

Mar 15, 2017, 6:45:38 AM3/15/17
to Gqrx SDR
All RTL-SDR sticks I've seen have a range of 24 MHz to something around 1760 MHz. You can force gqrx to ignore these limits by setting the "No limits" checkbox in the "Input Controls" dock, but this will most likely fail. The PLL of the stick just doesn't support the range.
If you ignore limits, you will likely get an error from the librtlsdr library.

Without another receiver or a downconverter, you won't be able to listen to 1900 MHz.

James Clark - KC3CDV

Mar 15, 2017, 8:13:07 AM3/15/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I am new to this hole SDR stuff as rite now I am working to get it up and running as its a software issue, I wanted to point this out because what I am about to say might be totally useless.
Hears the deal, theres a thing called Ham It Up, and it apparently is an upconverter and will let you listen to something like 4 or something Gigahertz and all the way down to 0Killahertz they claim.
This device can be found hear.
http://www.nooelec.com/store/ham-it-up.html

May Peace Be With You. Active skywarn severe weather spotter and Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network operative.
@HomefrontHugs Volunteer for our Troops and Families