AirspyHF+ and UDEV Rules

Michael Jackson

Jan 26, 2018, 2:52:17 PM1/26/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hi, I've installed GQRX with my AirspyHF+ on a Debian OS and can get it running nicely but only as root.  I guess this is because I have no UDEV rule in place but I need some guidance on how to create one, e.g. what is the content of the file and where's the best place to put it.

Thanks,
Mike

Alexandru Csete

Jan 26, 2018, 3:02:52 PM1/26/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
You should use the one included in the airspyhf source tree, or
compile the library to install the udev rule file.

Alex

Michael Jackson

Jan 26, 2018, 5:39:34 PM1/26/18
to Gqrx SDR
Alex, this is not helpful sorry.  I'm a radio listener and not a programmer :-)

I've managed to install and get AirspyHF+ running but only as root.  I have no concept of "airspyhf source tree" or compiling unless I have some good how-to guides.

Is there anyone who can help me set up UDEV rule for this receiver?

Thanks
Mike

Alexandru Csete

Jan 26, 2018, 6:11:31 PM1/26/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I answered assuming on one out of many possible scenarios. You gave us
no details about your setup or how you installed gqrx and the airspy
HF driver. Since you are using Debian, it was a fair assumption that
you have installed the Airspy HF+ driver from source, where
installation of the udev rule is disabled by default. If that's not
the case please provide the relevant details about your setup and how
you installed the packages.

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/7bd3f38c-2f6c-4da3-a1a0-a28bdfa03ce0%40googlegroups.com.

Michael Jackson

Jan 26, 2018, 6:25:35 PM1/26/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex, I have a Debian Linux GNU 9 distro installed on an Acer laptop with a Cinnamon desktop.

GQRX 2.9 was installed from the downloaded tar file from the gqrx.dk website.
gr-osmosdr was install using the instructions at https://github.com/csete/gr-osmosdr-gqrx/tree/airspyhf

Then I run sudo ./gqrx from the gqrx folder.

Thanks,
Mike

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/7bd3f38c-2f6c-4da3-a1a0-a28bdfa03ce0%40googlegroups.com.

Alexandru Csete

Jan 26, 2018, 6:42:56 PM1/26/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
If you mean the gqrx-2.9-linux-x64.tar.xz then it is a self contained
binary package that doers not require installation of anything else
from source, and certainly not gr-omsosdr-gqrx. Where did you get the
idea???

Anyway, the package comes with udev rules in the .... udev directory ;)

sudo cp udev/52-airspyhf.rules /etc/udev/rules.-d/

Re-plug your device and it should work. Your user account must be
member of the plugdev groups, though.

Alex

PS: The gr-osmosdr-gqrx library installed from source will most
certainly cause conflicts with other binary packages at some point, so
please consider uninstalling it.
>> > email to gqrx+uns...@googlegroups.com.
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/7bd3f38c-2f6c-4da3-a1a0-a28bdfa03ce0%40googlegroups.com.

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_dcOW5UxxYXK%3DxhQ-p6bJHDSECxqU-ZSVFeFRPPRy-U%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAOHVZnvbgYp4EShjnjmZP_4-99NnMOOfKmKo0HPHHubA9OLAvQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Michael Jackson

Jan 27, 2018, 2:15:04 PM1/27/18
to Gqrx SDR
I got the idea from the gqrx.dk website where it says about the AirspyHF+:

Airspy HF+

I'm going to blow away the Debian distro and install Ubuntu so I will hopefully get it right that time.

Thanks,
Mike

Alexandru Csete

Jan 27, 2018, 2:40:07 PM1/27/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I see how that can be misleading... In any case, you can assume
that the binaries I distribute use that version.

The source installation does not cause any harm to the gqrx package,
but it may cause problems for other packages in the future. You can
uninstall it using "make uninstall" in the build directory where you
compiled it.

Alex