How to restore linux dvb modules

_ Cascafico

Jan 11, 2018, 6:11:09 AM1/11/18
to Gqrx SDR
So, after a fresh linux install [1] and followed the gqrx installation instrucions, I ran gqrx selecting my rtl.sdr device, but I had no signal.
Believing there were some driver conflict with kernel, I made a mistake using "rmmod" instead of "modprobe -r", in removing modules:

sudo rmmod dvb_usb_rtl28xxu rtl2832
sudo rmmod dvb_usb_v2
sudo rmmod dvb_core

so after rebooting they weren't there anymore and now device is not listed anymore in gqrx I/Q input field, nor found by rtl_test -t utility.

I know it is a linux related question... but maybe someone is so kind that can help me avoiding to reinstall everything:-)
Besides, once intalled gxrx binary packages, is it still necessary the "modprobe -r" workaround?

 [1] linux raspberrypi 4.9.59-v7+ #1047 SMP Sun Oct 29 12:19:23 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Jeff Long

Jan 11, 2018, 8:10:23 AM1/11/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
"rmmod" does not delete anything, so there's no need to reinstall everything. "modprobe -r" does roughly the same thing as "rmmod". Try unplugging and replugging the RTL and see what happens. Look up how to blacklist these modules, replug the RTL, and things should work.

Cascafico Giovanni

Jan 12, 2018, 5:43:04 AM1/12/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
"rmmod" does not delete anything, so there's no need to reinstall everything. "modprobe -r" does roughly the same thing as "rmmod". Try unplugging and replugging the RTL and see what happens. Look up how to blacklist these modules, replug the RTL, and things should work.

Thanks Jeff. It turned out to be as usb cable issue, unfortunately raised just after having SW removed modules. Now they're back :-)

Module                  Size  Used by
[...]
dvb_usb_rtl28xxu       20308  0
dvb_usb_v2             16424  1 dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
dvb_core               99970  2 dvb_usb_v2,rtl2832
rc_core                24377  5 ir_lirc_codec,lirc_dev,dvb_usb_v2,dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
[...]