Freeze the Channel Filter Offset

Charles H. Leggett

Jan 4, 2016, 9:02:37 AM1/4/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Good morning everyone,

Is there a way to freeze the channel filter offset in the top right corner?

I’d prefer to set it to a constant value (to account for the slight adjustment that my RTLSDR needs) and then let the primary frequency selection change as I click around on the waterfall.

Is this possible?

Let me know.

Thanks.

--
Charles H. Leggett

Alexandru Csete

Jan 4, 2016, 9:32:56 AM1/4/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Charles H. Leggett <cleg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good morning everyone,
>
> Is there a way to freeze the channel filter offset in the top right corner?
>
> I’d prefer to set it to a constant value (to account for the slight adjustment that
> my RTLSDR needs) and then let the primary frequency selection change as I
> click around on the waterfall.

Hi Charles,

If you are talking about frequency correction, then there is a
parameter for that. It is called frequency correction under Input
controls or in the I/O config dialog.

The whole purpose with the filter offset is to allow fast tuning
within the passband, so having it frozen is not exactly what I had in
mind with it.

Alex

Charles H. Leggett

Jan 4, 2016, 10:22:50 AM1/4/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex, this helps. Somehow I’ve missed the frequency correction box until now.

You or someone else will probably be able to help me correct what is most likely my user error.

Here’s what I do (I’ll use commercial FM to keep it simple):

1) With the filter offset at 0.00, I tune to a local station 91.5
2) I see another station, 91.1, on the waterfall and I click on it. My filter offset changes to -400.
3) I adjust the freq at the top to tune to a different station: 88.5
4) Instead of 88.5 being centered on the graph, it is off to the left.
5) To center again:
a) I reset the filter offset to 0.00
b) I tune again at the top from 88.9 to 88.5

#5 is annoying to me. I’d like an option to freeze the filter offset so that a click on the waterfall would change the freq at the top and center it on the graph.

Am I doing this wrong? Do others here have a better way for me to use the app?

P.S. Alex, I’ve followed your earlier comments about not having as much time for development here as you’d like and I totally respect that. If this would be useful for others, let’s add it as a feature request for later.
> --

Charles H. Leggett

Alexandru Csete

Jan 4, 2016, 11:13:02 AM1/4/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Well, you are not doing anything wrong, it's just that this is how it
works. The big frequency readout will always show set the received
frequency, which is the hardware frequency + filter offset.

If you are running gqrx 2.4 you can set any frequency digit to 0 by
right clicking on it. This way you can reset the filter offset by
right clicking on the largest digit. I understand it is not what you
wish but it can make resetting the filter quicker.

Some time ago I have been thinking about adding the option to tune
without filter offset (would also save some CPU) but there have been
too many other things to work on, so I don't know when it will happen.

Alex
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/610D1B51-DAF3-415B-8192-07B69605AD55%40gmail.com.

Charles H. Leggett

Jan 4, 2016, 12:49:26 PM1/4/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the validation. Thanks also for adding the right click trick, that's wonderful.

Keep the feature request on your radar and get to it if and when you can.

Thanks for all that you go to make Gqrx great.

Take care.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_cLY_X4pVzKCi%2B%3Dnkt19TrMpM5hRWwezo_27VyiZKKdVA%40mail.gmail.com.

Alex Gorski

Jan 4, 2016, 2:27:25 PM1/4/16
to Gqrx SDR

Wow.

This Right Click trick for the offset frequency is a great feature !!!

What a clever addition to the whole GUI experience. Thx Alex.

Alexandru Csete

Jan 4, 2016, 2:37:13 PM1/4/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
It was mentioned in the release notes ;-)

Alex

Alex Gorski

Jan 4, 2016, 4:52:46 PM1/4/16
to Gqrx SDR

Ooops,

Saw it now as a news.txt file that came with the .dmg residing on the sourceforge site.
And of course here :

http://gqrx.dk/news/gqrx-2-4-released
Should wander more often there, now that there is a dmg available again.

With the macports builds I now learned to use, did I miss another way to read a new release note ?

Anyway, my mistake. Good to always see a changelog coming with a new version..

Alexandru Csete

Jan 4, 2016, 5:00:09 PM1/4/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

It also also available from within the program: Help -> News

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/636714f8-6133-47cb-9361-bb9cc38c2860%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Gorski

Jan 4, 2016, 8:46:45 PM1/4/16
to Gqrx SDR
Pfffffftt ....

Big shame / red face .....

pleeeez, kill my brain, it has become useless. Now, I'm gonna find a hole on Mars to hide my stupidity   ;-(