Specifications lacking

RedHeart64

Jan 14, 2017, 11:40:30 AM1/14/17
to Gqrx SDR
I purchased a NESDR SMART dongle and have it working well with GQRX.  I HAVE run into an issue that is rather irritating - a complete lack of useful specifications on the dongle.

You can get all of the (to me nearly worthless but 'nice to know') sales cr*p and I have found a tiny bit of useful info (8 bit sampling), but I had to pester the company just to find out the current drain of the device.  I STILL cannot find general information regarding maximum bandwidth (I know, also depends on computer) or sensitivity.

I know it's not too bad as far as sensitivity (at least at VHF), although the planned uses for this dongle won't require that great sensitivity.  I could also use it (with a properly built upconverter) for a spectrum analyzer, which is also something I am going to consider.  I have equipment that would allow me to get a good idea of the performance of the thing as a spectrum analyzer, which would be useful to have.  That's for the future, and I really could use the specs information that I cannot find - today.

Does anyone know of a chart showing the "real" specs... not what it looks like or the construction, but things like current drain, bandwidth, sensitivity (could be a chart), and so on, for the different RTL-SDR type units?  Such a thing would be very useful.

Thanks!