Laymans Guide to Building GQRx

Michael Jackson

May 2, 2016, 5:17:41 PM5/2/16
to Gqrx SDR
After a little bit of frustration and not much support from anyone else (I guess no one is really using a Clound-IQ) trying to get GQRx (Ubuntu release) to play nicely with my Cloud-IQ I gave up!

So on to the next option, build from scratch.  Well, if I was frustrated before, I'm on a reading of 200 out of 100!  What is it with Linux, I've never known a system to take sooooooo long to install a programme.  GNU Radio took over three hours!  I left it cranking away at 1% ever three minutes overnight only to find it was waiting for a password when I came back to it in the morning, grrrrr.  After another hour and just before I had to head to work, it completed so I went back into the GQRx build directory and re-ran qmake ../ and got an error which looked like something to do with a deprecated INCLUDE statement.  I had to leave for work which means another stab at resolving the problem in the few short hours I have of an evening.

Has anyone hit this issue?  What does it mean and how can it be remedied?

Man, not even Windows has ever taken three-four hours to install a programme!

What am I doing!  I'm just a shortwave listener not a Linux programming guru, there must be some better guides for this.

HELP.

Michael

Alexandru Csete

May 2, 2016, 6:16:46 PM5/2/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hello Michael,

Sorry for not replying to your other emails, but as I recall you ended
your mails with saying that you give up and and go back to windows, so
I saw no point in replying.

As I said in my reply to you on April 29, there are problems with the
Cloud-IQ driver that I have not been able to resolve yet. Sometimes it
may work and sometimes it may not. This applies to the packages that
come in Ubuntu, it applies to the packages in our PPA and it also
applies to the latest source code.

Therefore, you will not gain anything by building everything from
source, which by the way I consider to be a complex software
engineering task due to the many packages and dependencies. We provide
up to date binary packages through our PPA so that laymen don't have
to build everything from source.

I am working on a new SDR package that does not have this large
dependency structure that gqrx has. It will be smaller, faster and
have a working Cloud-IQ driver.

Alex

Michael Jackson

May 2, 2016, 6:34:09 PM5/2/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alex,

Thank you for your response and when I say I'm going back to Windows I mean I have to go to Windows to listen to my receiver.  I don't think I want to give up on getting Linux to work for me so I look forward to the new SDR package, and without putting you in to much of a spot, what time frame would you have in mind for this new software?

Thanks,
Michael

Alexandru Csete

May 2, 2016, 6:56:28 PM5/2/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 12:34 AM, Michael Jackson <mdeja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Thank you for your response and when I say I'm going back to Windows I mean
> I have to go to Windows to listen to my receiver. I don't think I want to
> give up on getting Linux to work for me so I look forward to the new SDR
> package, and without putting you in to much of a spot, what time frame would
> you have in mind for this new software?

An early "tech preview" release should be available in June. I don't
know if it will have the Cloud-IQ driver in June, but it is very high
on my list since there is no reliable Cloud-IQ solution for linux at
the moment.

Alex

David Ranch

May 3, 2016, 6:00:37 PM5/3/16
to Gqrx SDR

Hello Michael,

After a little bit of frustration and not much support from anyone else (I guess no one is really using a Clound-IQ) trying to get GQRx (Ubuntu release) to play nicely with my Cloud-IQ I gave up!

To be honest, I've never even heard of the Cloud-IQ unit unit you brought it up.  Nice looking unit but it doesn't seem to be all that popular in these "Gqrx woods".

So on to the next option, build from scratch.  Well, if I was frustrated before, I'm on a reading of 200 out of 100!  What is it with Linux, I've never known a system to take sooooooo long to install a programme.  GNU Radio took over three hours!

Yes... GnuRadio is a monster application suite to compile but it has a LOT of stuff in it.  Even the Linux kernel itself is faster in compiling and it too is huge.  I have in my Centos notes:

   #   NOTE: This build takes *** 45min *** on my dual core Intel i5 2430M @ 2.4ghz
   #         laptop with 4GB of RAM and a 5400RPM HD.  Seems this build is very hard
   #         disk I/O bound so a faster hard drive (7200rpm) or a SSD might help A LOT!

If you're building of GnuRadio takes three hours, it seems like your computer might be low on CPU power, low on RAM, or both.

 I left it cranking away at 1% ever three minutes overnight only to find it was waiting for a password when I came back to it in the morning, grrrrr.  After another hour and just before I had to head to work, it completed so I went back into the GQRx build directory and re-ran qmake ../ and got an error which looked like something to do with a deprecated INCLUDE statement.  I had to leave for work which means another stab at resolving the problem in the few short hours I have of an evening.

There are various instructions on how to build GnuRadio and then Gqrx (my Centos centric instructions are here: http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#42b.gnuradio ) but it will be journey.  Absolutely possible to do but you'll need need patience and I promise you'll learn a thing or two along the way!

--David
KI6ZHD