Kubuntu 16.04: Crackling sound with pulseaudio

wofritzyt

May 9, 2016, 2:42:00 PM5/9/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hi,

I just updated to Kubuntu 16.04 and recompiled gqrx.

Now I have a crackling noise in the received audio when I compile with pulse audio support.

It sounds like "bit errors" in the audio stream.

The crackling does not happen with gr_audio.

I tested it with the internal sound card and an USB sound dongle.

Anybody seen this problem too?

Regards,
Wolf, DK7OB

PS: I head a crackling sound already on Kubuntu 14.04, but only after hours of gqrx running.

Alexandru Csete

May 11, 2016, 6:34:59 PM5/11/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Well, it's a mess and I don't have time to look at it at the moment.
So if gr-audio works better, then stick with it for now.

In a new project I am working on I will use a cross platform audio
wrapper library that will allow changing between ALSA, Jack and
Pulseaudio at runtime. If it will work well we can try an backport it
to gqrx, but it will take a few months.

Alex