GQRX headless, no go?

Jim Julian

Nov 15, 2016, 12:02:24 PM11/15/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hello,

Installed all files, including GNURadio. Ran setup.
Tried running gqrx. Came up with a couple of issues.

Ran setup_gqrx without errors.

Tried running rtl_test but was informed "file too short."
librtlsdr.so.0
listed lib directory and found most libraries have file length of zero bytes.

Ran "source gqrx_runtime.env" with no errors.

Ran run_qgrx with error message returned "line 18 (gqrx $1 $2) permission denied.
Chmoded 755 gqrx I(made executable)
Re-ran "run_gqrx.sh" and got :"2140 Segmentation fault line 18 gqrx $1 $2."

Exceptions to installation instructions. I did not start with a fresh install of Raspbian. I am using the RPi as a monitor controller.

Unpacked the file in Windows and copied to RPi /home/pi/ directory.
Am running RPi headless from Win10 laptop over WiFI thropugh SSH sessions.

Any glaring errors? Suggestions?

Thank you,

Jim Julian

Nov 15, 2016, 1:38:43 PM11/15/16
to Gqrx SDR
Addendum : Got the gnuradio-companion command to run. Problem is, the SSH session stopped. Multiple ^C's had no effect. Finally closed the Mobaxterm program and re-opened. Normal SSH session started. Apparently, the screen stopped responding. I don't think the softwaqre environment of GNURC and GQRX were meant to be run remotely in a SSH session. I may try a VNC session next, then connecting the RPi directly to my laptop with a LAN cable.

Robin Gape

Nov 16, 2016, 5:57:02 AM11/16/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

you asked for suggestions! The cleanest way of getting your setup going is to start simple. Neither GRC nor GQRX are command line programs, but rather they generally expect interaction through a GUI. Depending on your specific circumstance, Wi-Fi may be congested, especially in an urban location, or even suburban these days. A cable is generally much more reliable.

In your shoes, I'd try putting a clean install of Raspbian on a different SD card, and booting the Pi, with keyboard, mouse & screen as per Alex's suggestion: http://gqrx.dk/download/gqrx-sdr-for-the-raspberry-pi

Then, when it's working OK locally, one can move on to remote operation &c. Otherwise, as you've discovered, one is trying to debug multiple things—probably including both known and unknown unknowns—all at once!

In regard to SSH, one can use SSH to extend an X-server to a remote client, but it's an arcane procedure, designed to increase the sale of aquavit and similar! For VNC you may find this useful (YMMV, of course): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers

HTH,

Robin, G8DQX

Jim Julian

Nov 16, 2016, 2:53:47 PM11/16/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hello,

   Pretty much a restatement of, or expansion of, my own thinking, not to mention a reiteration of the criteria.

Thanks, anyway.