Re: [gqrx] no audible stations on fresh ubuntu istall

Alexandru Csete

Jul 29, 2016, 2:27:09 PM7/29/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Mauro Calvi <coupde...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
> just re-installed gqrx on Ubuntu 14.04 on a 32 bit Dell laptop using
> FuncubePro dongle from the ppa using these instructions:
> http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu an.
> - installation seems to have gone smoothly
> - volk_profile also completed succesfully
> - gqrx launches correctly, DSP starts, shows active spectrum view and
> produces white noise sound
> - however I have not been able to detect any signal on any frequencies from
> known nearby stations (fm, am, etc.)
> - the same dongle/antenna combination worked on a previous gqrx version on
> the same machine, and works perfectly using gqrx on a Mac
>
> I have found some postings suggesting that the "RF gain" control may be
> turned off but found no such control, at least in the Input Controls tab,
> where it is said it should be.

The gain labels depend on the device, so some devices have "RF gain"
others have "LNA gain" and so on.

> I have played with the Hardware AGC, BB
> gain, LNA Gain and MI Gain controls etc in that same tab to no avail.

Do you see any change on the spectrum while you are playing with the
gain settings in the input control tab? It might be using an incorrect
audio device for input, or perhaps it has no control over the
hardware.

Try running gqrx from the terminal and see if any errors are printed.

You can also try to reset the configuration by running "gqrx -r"

Alex