gqrx-sdr: dependency on libboost 1.54 is not met Ubuntu 16.04

Paul Miller

Aug 13, 2016, 9:17:34 PM8/13/16
to Gqrx SDR
I just installed Ubuntu 16.04 and then installed gqrx using:
#sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ettusresearch/uhd
#sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:myriadrf/drivers
#sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:myriadrf/gnuradio
#sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:gqrx/gqrx-sdr
#sudo apt-get update
#sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr

When I run gqrx I receive the following message: gqrx: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_date_time.so.1.54.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I found the following bug report:
Debian Bug report logs - #823152
gqrx-sdr: dependency on libboost 1.54 is not met

When will the the ppa's be fixed?

Alexandru Csete

Aug 14, 2016, 4:14:48 AM8/14/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

The gqrx-sdr package in the PPA does *not* depend on libboost 1.54.
You can check the build logs for yourself if you wish:

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/236189541/buildlog_ubuntu-wily-i386.gqrx-sdr_2.5.3-gqrx1~wily_BUILDING.txt.gz
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/236189540/buildlog_ubuntu-wily-amd64.gqrx-sdr_2.5.3-gqrx1~wily_BUILDING.txt.gz

Search for "boost" and you'll see it uses version 1.58.

Please note that we only have packages for i386 and amd64
architectures. If you install for another architecture you will still
be getting the packages from the official repository.

Still, it is very strange that you have a gqrx-sdr package isntalled
from the debian/unstable repositories. How did that happen?

Alex

Paul L Miller

Aug 14, 2016, 8:14:48 AM8/14/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

Could you send me a link for a procedure to install GQRX on Ubuntu 16.04
using stable repositories? My searches keep coming up with
http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu which is the procedure I used
below and which uses the unstable repositories.

My pc is a 64 bit Intel X86 and GQRX worked before my upgrade to 16.04.

Thanks for you help,
Paul

--
Paul L Miller
21 Janet Court

Alexandru Csete

Aug 14, 2016, 9:31:08 AM8/14/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Paul L Miller <pey...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> Could you send me a link for a procedure to install GQRX on Ubuntu 16.04
> using stable repositories? My searches keep coming up with
> http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu which is the procedure I used below
> and which uses the unstable repositories.
>
> My pc is a 64 bit Intel X86 and GQRX worked before my upgrade to 16.04.

Well, it should have worked. Did you do the part with uninstalling the
old version first? See beginning of the page:

sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove gqrx
sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove gqrx-sdr

then remove the old PPA repositories gqrx/releases and gqrx/snapshots

After this you should be able to install again from the new PPA as
written on the page.

All this will not work if you have installed gqrx and gnuradio from
source, e.g. by using some build scripts available on the Internet.

Alex

Paul L Miller

Aug 14, 2016, 11:58:19 AM8/14/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

I did do the two purge commands.

I attached a screen shot of the ppa's in use. I hope I am correct in
assuming that only the ppa's that are checked are in use. Are the
checked ppa's correct? The checks come after the add-apt-repository are
run.

Here is the commands that I ran:
sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove gqrx
sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove gqrx-sdr

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ettusresearch/uhd
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:myriadrf/drivers
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:myriadrf/gnuradio
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:gqrx/gqrx-sdr
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr

When I do this: :~$ gqrx
gqrx: error while loading shared libraries:
libboost_date_time.so.1.54.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

Why does the above error mention 54 when when the current version is 58?

Thanks again,
Screenshot from 2016-08-14 10-54-34.png

Alexandru Csete

Aug 14, 2016, 12:22:29 PM8/14/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Paul L Miller <pey...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I do this: :~$ gqrx
> gqrx: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_date_time.so.1.54.0:

What happens if you try running /usr/bin/gqrx in the terminal instead?

Alex

Robin Gape

Aug 14, 2016, 3:40:16 PM8/14/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Paul,

I've just checked with a pair of Ubuntu systems, one 14.04 and one 16.04, both of which have GQRX installed from PPA according to the website instructions (using scripts to ensure accuracy & consistency). On the 14.04 system, the installed libboost-<blah> packages are at version 1.54. On the 16.04 system, the installed libboost-<blah> packages are at version 1.58.

In spite of what others might suggest, the in-place upgrade process from one version of Ubuntu to another is not to be recommended on a desktop system. (All sorts of things, subtle and otherwise, change between releases. Cross-mapping is often not done. On a complex installation it can be a nightmare.)

Because the library asked for is at version 1.54, it is likely that there is a gqrx binary in the search path left over from your Ubuntu version before 16.04. Following on from Alex's suggestion, the terminal command:

which gqrx

should result in the answer /usr/bin/gqrx. If the answer is anything else, then that is pointing to some left over gqrx executable.

HTH,

Robin, G8DQX

On 14/08/16 13:14, Paul L Miller wrote:
When I run gqrx I receive the following message: gqrx: error while loading
shared libraries: libboost_date_time.so.1.54.0: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory

I found the following bug report:
Debian Bug report logs - #823152
gqrx-sdr: dependency on libboost 1.54 is not met

Paul L Miller

Aug 14, 2016, 4:07:51 PM8/14/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Robin,

I just did which gqrx and received /usr/bin/gqrx.
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2049376 May  5 08:06 /usr/bin/gqrx

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Miller

Aug 14, 2016, 7:28:02 PM8/14/16
to Gqrx SDR
When I do GQRX the error message says "error while loading shared libraries: libboost_date_time.so.1.54.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"  but when I "locate" libboost_date_time.so. I get /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_date_time.so.1.58.0 so it appears I have the correct version.  Why is GQRX looking for 1.54.0? You will see below that I have the the May 5, 2016 version of GQRX.

Alexandru Csete

Aug 15, 2016, 6:54:23 AM8/15/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 1:28 AM, Paul Miller <pey...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I do GQRX the error message says "error while loading shared libraries:
> libboost_date_time.so.1.54.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory"

Hi Paul,

I asked you to type /usr/bin/gqrx not just gqrx - please confirm that
you typed /usr/bin/gqrx

> but when I "locate" libboost_date_time.so. I get
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_date_time.so.1.58.0 so it appears I have
> the correct version. Why is GQRX looking for 1.54.0?

That's what we are trying to find out. It's obviously and old version
of gqrx that didn't get removed for some reason.

Also, please confirm that you have never used build-gnuradio, pybombs
or other scripts to automatically install gnuradio/gqrx from source
packages.

> You will see below
> that I have the the May 5, 2016 version of GQRX.

I think you forgot to attach a screenshot?

The next thing I was going to ask you is to check in the software
center or package manager which version of gqrx is installed.

Alex

Paul L Miller

Aug 15, 2016, 7:42:46 PM8/15/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Please see below:

On 08/15/2016 06:54 AM, Alexandru Csete wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 1:28 AM, Paul Miller <pey...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When I do GQRX the error message says "error while loading shared libraries:
>> libboost_date_time.so.1.54.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file
>> or directory"
> Hi Paul,
>
> I asked you to type /usr/bin/gqrx not just gqrx - please confirm that
> you typed /usr/bin/gqrx
/usr/bin/gqrx
/usr/bin/gqrx: error while loading shared libraries:
libboost_date_time.so.1.54.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

ls -l /usr/bin/gqrx
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2049376 May 5 08:06 /usr/bin/gqrx

>> but when I "locate" libboost_date_time.so. I get
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_date_time.so.1.58.0 so it appears I have
>> the correct version. Why is GQRX looking for 1.54.0?
locate libboost_date_time.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_date_time.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_date_time.so.1.58.0

> That's what we are trying to find out. It's obviously and old version
> of gqrx that didn't get removed for some reason.
>
> Also, please confirm that you have never used build-gnuradio, pybombs
> or other scripts to automatically install gnuradio/gqrx from source
> packages.
Under 14.04 I used BuildGNURadio.sh

>> You will see below
>> that I have the the May 5, 2016 version of GQRX.
> I think you forgot to attach a screenshot?
>
> The next thing I was going to ask you is to check in the software
> center or package manager which version of gqrx is installed.
apt-show-versions gqrx-sdr
gqrx-sdr:amd64/xenial 2.5.3-gqrx1~xenial uptodate
gqrx-sdr:i386 not installed

> Alex

Robin Gape

Aug 15, 2016, 8:33:53 PM8/15/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

there is a big clue in the use of BuildGNURadio.sh under 14.04. I suspect, but can't guarantee, that detritus from that old installation of GNU Radio will remain on your system.

The key may be in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_date_time.so, which is a link to the specific current version of the library.

What is the result of ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_date_time.so?

(It should be a link to version 1.58 of the library. If it's not, the direct problem has been found.)

The gqrx version that you showed looks correct, presuming that your clock is displayed as EDT.

We're getting there.

Robin, G8DQX

On 16/08/16 00:42, Paul L Miller wrote:
but when I "locate" libboost_date_time.so. I get
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_date_time.so.1.58.0 so it appears I have
the correct version.  Why is GQRX looking for 1.54.0?
locate  libboost_date_time.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_date_time.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_date_time.so.1.58.0

That's what we are trying to find out. It's obviously and old version
of gqrx that didn't get removed for some reason.

Also, please confirm that you have never used build-gnuradio, pybombs
or other scripts to automatically install gnuradio/gqrx from source
packages.
Under 14.04 I used BuildGNURadio.sh

You will see below
that I have the the May 5, 2016 version of GQRX.
The next thing I was going to ask you is to check in the software
center or package manager which version of gqrx is installed.

Alexandru Csete

Aug 16, 2016, 11:15:58 AM8/16/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, we are getting there.

From Paul's email I think we can conclude that the correct version of
gqrx is installed, but there are some old gnuradio libraries left
around from the installation using the buld-gnuradio script.

Also note that gqrx does not directly depend on libboost_date_time so
it is probably one of the old gnuradio libraries that come with this
error.

If you are lucky, the source installation went into /usr/local/ and
nowhere else. Have a look at /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib - You
will probably find the old gnuradio & co libraries there. These need
to be removed, but you have to be careful not to remove something else
that was also installed from source.

If you never ever installed anything else from source than gnuradio,
it is probably safe to remove everything from there - but do it at
your own risk!

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/4a50006a-ba49-0236-28f1-624f818f88c4%40googlemail.com.

Paul L Miller

Aug 16, 2016, 6:17:46 PM8/16/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I found a lot of stuff in

/usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib

In bin I found stuff like airspy_gpio, bladeRF-cli, gr_read_file_metadata, rtl_tcp
gnuradio-companion, gr_constellation_plot, hackrf_info, osmocom_fft, rtl_adsb, uhd_cal_rx_iq_balance
usrp_flex, and volk-config-info

In lib I found stuff like cmake,libairspy.a , ibbladeRF.so, libgnuradio-a,libhackrf.a
I also found the following directories which might not be gnuradio.
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 4 2015 pkgconfig
drwxrwsr-x 4 root staff 4096 Aug 13 16:05 python2.7
drwxrwsr-x 3 root staff 4096 Aug 13 15:17 python3.5
drwxrwsr-x 3 root staff 4096 Dec 4 2015 R
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Dec 4 2015 uhd

Please take a look at these and tell me if you think they are safe to remove. I do understand that can't give any guarantees.

Thanks,
Paul

Robin Gape

Aug 17, 2016, 6:30:57 AM8/17/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

1) No guarantees, and you are entirely responsible for the consequences &c. &c.
1A) Whatever else you do, back it up first!

2) Anything which you haven't put in /usr/local/bin specifically yourself is pretty much safe to remove. So all the obviously GNU Radio stuff can go

3) In /usr/local/lib you will find, for example, stuff such as:
:~$ ls /usr/local/lib
python2.7  python3.4  R  site_ruby

R results, as a guess, from the installation of R on the example machine. Most of these directories are empty, but put there to allow for installation of local packages.

Anything which seems to be GNU Radio is good to be removed.

As an observation, the machine in question first had Ubuntu installed a long time ago, inferring from the earlier screenshot. If you have, or can make, a partition on it and then install a fresh copy of Ubuntu for testing purposes, then it's easier and quicker to debug problems with new software.

Robin, G8DQX

Paul L Miller

Aug 20, 2016, 10:57:15 PM8/20/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Gentlemen,

I backed up /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/bin.  I deleted the files in /usr/local/lib but not the folders and tried gqrx and it works so thanks for your help.

But it would seem that it would not work without the files in /usr/local/lib so I did:

locate libboost-date-time1.58.0
/usr/share/doc/libboost-date-time1.58.0
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/libboost-date-time1.58.0

I then looked for another file that looked like it was needed::
/usr/share/lintian/overrides$ locate libgnuradio-audio-3.7.8.1.so.0.0.0
/home/paul/SDR/gnuradio/build/gr-audio/lib/libgnuradio-audio-3.7.8.1.so.0.0.0
/usr/local/lib/libgnuradio-audio-3.7.8.1.so.0.0.0  <-- but the /usr/local/lib is empty except for some subfolders.

I finally found /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.  Is this the folder that apt-get gqrx uses?

Thanks,
Paul

Mark Arvidson

Aug 21, 2016, 11:42:14 PM8/21/16
to Gqrx SDR
Hi,

I'm joining the discussion a little bit late, but I'm in exactly the same predicament. I was running an older version of Ubuntu and compiled gnuradio and gqrx from source when I first got my HackRF One. This weekend, I upgraded to 16.04.1 and gqrx doesn't work.

I have removed everything from /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib and rm -rf the source code directories.

When I run ldd /usr/bin/gqrx, I get the following:
libboost_date_time.so.1.54.0 => not found
libboost_filesystem.so.1.54.0 => not found
libboost_regex.so.1.54.0 => not found
libboost_system.so.1.54.0 => not found
libboost_thread.so.1.54.0 => not found
libboost_serialization.so.1.54.0 => not found

among a lot of valid hits, including:
libboost_system.so.1.58.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_system.so.1.58.0 (0x00007fdddd14b000)
libboost_program_options.so.1.58.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.so.1.58.0 (0x00007fdddcecd000)
libboost_filesystem.so.1.58.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_filesystem.so.1.58.0 (0x00007fddd891b000)
libboost_thread.so.1.58.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_thread.so.1.58.0 (0x00007fddd86f5000)

Mark Arvidson

Mark Arvidson

Aug 22, 2016, 12:11:56 AM8/22/16
to Gqrx SDR
Great, now I'm replying to my own posts.

I remembered I had used a pybombs install sometime in the past. I executed:

sudo ./pybombs install gnuradio
sudo ./pybombs install fftw
sudo ./pybombs install rtl-sdr
sudo ./pybombs install gr-osmosdr

Now gqrx starts and gives an undefined symbol error. It doesn't appear to be the same problem, so I won't hijack this thread.

Mark Arvidson