Mint/Ubuntu Installation failed

them...@btinternet.com

Jul 9, 2017, 12:06:44 PM7/9/17
to Gqrx SDR

Hello members. New B with first post here.

Linux Mint 18.1. [64 bit]. (actually an Ubuntu 16.04 package base with 4.4.0-72 low latency Linux kernel)

 Following the installation instructions given on the download page (title: "Install Gqrx SDR on Ubuntu Linux") using the Gqrx PPA, all went without a hitch, alas the latest version fails to run from the icon. Nothing at all happens.

If gqrx is called via the terminal cli, the result is as follows:

$ gqrx
gqrx: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnuradio-uhd.so.3.7.10: undefined symbol: _ZN3uhd4usrp10multi_usrp7ALL_LOSB5cxx11E

It seems that RedHeart64 had a the same problem. He had to use synaptic
package manager to upgrade his system. I'm wondering if I should attempt same?

cheers

Robin Gape

Jul 9, 2017, 3:43:27 PM7/9/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Minde,

when you're doing clever stuff loading packages from PPAs, then probably the most efficient way of keeping packages smoothly in order is to install synaptic. The alternative CLI commands are all too easy to forget or to mis-type, unless one is a head-case developer.

The joy of synaptic is that it makes package management very elegant, particularly the important matter of keeping everything up-to-date. One suspects that the error you saw is due to a package mismatch, perhaps because something is  out-of-date. On Ubuntu 16.04 the library package referred to seems to have the label that was missing on the system that you were using.

These days with broadband pretty much ubiquitous, there are few excuses for not keeping a Linux box (or *BSD, OS/X, WindowsN &c.) fully up-to-date. Unlike the Redmond experience, the update process on Debian derivatives (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint &c.) is unlikely to drive one to drink!

HTH, 73,

Robin, G8DQX

grege...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 11:16:51 AM7/12/17
to Gqrx SDR
Following all of the Ubuntu command line instructions that are on the GQRX page, fully uninstall any previous components.  Then continue with all of the install commands, even for components you might not plan to use, like Mirics, etc.  If it still doesn't work, open a terminal window and launch it with the command gqrx.  The terminal window will show some debugging info.

Greg
AD0JP

them...@btinternet.com

Jul 14, 2017, 4:03:04 PM7/14/17
to Gqrx SDR

Thanks for the reply Robin (G8DQX) and Greg (AD0GP). Apologies for not replying sooner. I went on a short holiday to York, and upon my return, have been involved in a long "discussion" with BT Broadband people over the state of my signal... nilus bitus is probably the a way to describe it. After much talking and testing they decided I needed a "new hub" and one is winging it's way to me as I write. But I doubt the hub (router) is at fault, as my signal came back suddenly after 30 minutes of ending my discussion with BT. Funny thing is: I notice two emails from BT, one letting me know the situation as it stands, the other telling me that a hub is being sent to me. How on earth I was meant to read them without a service, I shall never understand. Automail is a wonderful thing.

So there are my excuses. Now to the installation of GQRX:

At foot of the "Gqrx SDR" home page it states:

"Watch gqrx in action in these YouTube videos, download the latest version and check out the available documentation."

Clicking on "the latest version" diverts to "Download Gqrx SDR" page, where I selected the first option in the menu: "Gqrx for Ubuntu Linux".

After following all the install instructions to the letter, the resultant was a non-working app.

It was only after downloading a package called "Gqrx-2.6-1.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage" via Synaptic that I had a working system.

It seems to me that there are two different packages of the same app in existence.

Anyway, I were filled with greet 'appyness.

73 to all.