gqrx......no sound from speakers....help please..

Del Fields

Jan 17, 2015, 12:55:54 PM1/17/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Have GNURadio installed...gqrx running on Linux in VMWare....Everything looks great.  Monitoring local NOAA weather frequency.....Signal looks great.  Waterfall looks great.

 But I "hear" no audio from my laptop speakers???   Where/What am I doing wrong?  Checked squelch and its not that.
I can "see" the audio....see attached screen grab.

Thanks,
Del
gqrx screengrab.JPG

Del Fields

Jan 17, 2015, 1:02:39 PM1/17/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Found It!!!!

John Beaver

Feb 8, 2015, 6:09:30 AM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
How did you fix it?

Alan Corey

Dec 14, 2015, 12:09:43 PM12/14/15
to Gqrx SDR
Yeah, really, half the point of posting something like this online is because somebody else may have a similar problem later and want to know how you fixed it.

I'm running Debian 8.0 (don't know what the silly name for it is) on an i386/686 laptop and getting no sound out of gqrx.  Alsaplayer works.  But I don't see any audio in the lower right window like you have in your screenshot.  Maybe it's squelched.  I've tried for years to get gnuradio working on anything.

Alan Corey

Dec 14, 2015, 1:03:24 PM12/14/15
to Gqrx SDR
Never mind, it's just Google Groups being inadequate.  This same thread is also at http://forums.radioreference.com/software-defined-radio/305941-gnuradio-gqrx-no-audio-out-speakers-help.html

Alan Corey

Dec 15, 2015, 10:32:41 AM12/15/15
to Gqrx SDR
For me the problem was that gqrx defaults to NO demodulation mode.  No AM, FM, SSB, etc.  I've never seen another SDR program do that.  In the Receiver Options tab, halfway up the list is Mode.  Mine defaulted to "Demod Off".  And of course dealing with the quagmire of Linux audio standards but the bottom line there is make sure something simple works first, like being able to play an MP3 file or a CD.  gqrx eats 90% CPU though, it's not something I can run in the background.  Good for exploring what's out there, rtl_fm is more practical for monitoring.

Roc Chow

Mar 31, 2016, 4:53:00 PM3/31/16
to Gqrx SDR
Thank you for pointing it our Alan. For me the same thing that "Demod off" was default. Not too many places I see ppl mentioned about this options. I was curious what was wrong. Thanks again. Hope others will find it helpful!
Cheers.

Roc Chow

Mar 31, 2016, 5:47:32 PM3/31/16
to Gqrx SDR
I just found another might be bug of gqrx. I opened it with default on WFM Mono but no sound. So I switch it back to Demod off and to WFM mono then the sound came back.

Mohammed Alkindy

Mar 9, 2017, 9:58:55 AM3/9/17
to Gqrx SDR
hi, my problem is i hear the sound but it does not seem to demodulate to a meaningful sound even for the simple public FM band!!! i wonder why

origin systems

Mar 17, 2017, 3:26:31 PM3/17/17
to Gqrx SDR
No sound here either. Spent a long time on this with 2 reinstalls. rtl_fm works fine audio wise and no issues when executing rtl_fm in a terminal session  - Checked the volumes for gqrx, selected mode from Demod off to WFM and sometimes I get a split second of audio but then back to nothing.  Checked squelch, changed from default audio to the internal sound device - everything tried. Quite frustrating as this version is far better than the Windows equivalent. I have even removed the prefs file which gives a default setup but never any luck. I get the waterfall and graph, nothing but a popular Simon and Garfunkel number.

If there is anything else I can do please let me know.

James Clark - KC3CDV

Mar 17, 2017, 5:17:15 PM3/17/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
So I had the same problem at first when Igot my SDR, I ended up talking to a feller on FB and he gave me the chip and other information I needed and then I hit DSP and its good, and thanks to the designer of this app, I am now monitoring air crafts as we speak.

May Peace Be With You. Active skywarn severe weather spotter and Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network operative.
@HomefrontHugs Volunteer for our Troops and Families

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 15:26, origin systems <ma...@fixt.me> wrote:
>
> No sound here either. Spent a long time on this with 2 reinstalls. rtl_fm works fine audio wise and no issues when executing rtl_fm in a terminal session - Checked the volumes for gqrx, selected mode from Demod off to WFM and sometimes I get a split second of audio but then back to nothing. Checked squelch, changed from default audio to the internal sound device - everything tried. Quite frustrating as this version is far better than the Windows equivalent. I have even removed the prefs file which gives a default setup but never any luck. I get the waterfall and graph, nothing but a popular Simon and Garfunkel number.
>
> If there is anything else I can do please let me know.

Amabwe Amabwe

Jan 28, 2018, 3:07:51 PM1/28/18
to Gqrx SDR
I changed Squelch to -150, then I was able to hear the audio.