SDRPlay Radio Spectrum Processor

grege...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2014, 11:18:24 AM10/16/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I've just ordered an SDRPlay RSP (Radio Spectrum Processor) from the UK.  10 bit 100 KHz to 2 GHz USB SDR.  It already has support in SDR#, and will soon be supported in SDR-Radio V2.  The company provides the API for Linux, Windows and Mac.  Will Gqrx be supporting this hardware?  www.sdrplay.com

Greg Ella

Ft. Collins, Colorado

Alexandru Csete

Oct 16, 2014, 11:41:47 AM10/16/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
No, not with binary only drivers.

It's nothing religious. I just don't see any reason why such a device
should come with binary only driver. We have enough challenges
supporting devices with open source drivers. The last thing we need is
binary only drivers that the company may or may not maintain in the
future.

Ironically, I think we already support some devices through the open
source libmirisdr but I have no idea whether they will work with this
device.

Alex

grege...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2014, 3:33:08 PM10/16/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
What if someone eventually writes an osmosdr source block?

Alexandru Csete

Oct 16, 2014, 4:20:18 PM10/16/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 9:33 PM, <grege...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What if someone eventually writes an osmosdr source block?

Then he or she will be able to use it on his / her computer. That's it.

It can not be distributed and it can not be included in linux
distributions because the GPL livense prohibits such things. Every
user will have to compile gqrx and gr-osmosdr for themselves. And it
would only be available for the platforms supported by the library.

Anyway, as I said the device may already work with gqrx because there
is an open source libmirisdr available through osmoscom. This library
is included in the gqrx/snapshots repository.

As far as I can tell, the libmisdr is wriiten for the Mirics MSi2500.
Whereas the sdrplay device comes with the MSi3101. According to the
datasheet [http://www.mirics.com/sites/default/files/MSi3101_new.pdf]
the MSi3101 is a combination of a MSi001 tuner and a host digital
interface MSi2500.

So perhaps it will just work after you set up the udev rules as
instructed by the sdrplay instructions. Maybe you can ask the company
what they think about it, i.e. will the
http://cgit.osmocom.org/libmirisdr/ work with th edevice? Is that what
they mean when they write that SDR play is compatible with existing
open source software? If yes, what's reason for distributing a
binary-only driver library?

Alex

grege...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2014, 11:24:28 PM10/16/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex, I found the libmirisdr after I posted my question.  Maybe I should Google first, ask questions later.  After my device arrives I will experiment and let you know.

Thanks for a great Linux SDR option.

Greg Ella
AD0JP
Ft. Collins, CO

G4ABQ

Jan 15, 2015, 8:25:14 AM1/15/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi - how are you getting on with the SDRplay RSP?
By the way we now have an HDSDR plugin - see www.sdrplay.com and go to downloads

grege...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2015, 11:33:58 AM1/15/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Very happy with it, although I will probably put it in a metal enclosure for better shielding.  I saw the HDSDR dll and tried it out, works fine.  I am primarily a Linux user, though, so I am anxiously awaiting support in gnuradio/osmocom.
Greg Ella

Alexandru Csete

Jan 15, 2015, 11:38:52 AM1/15/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 2:25 PM, G4ABQ <thejon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi - how are you getting on with the SDRplay RSP?
> By the way we now have an HDSDR plugin - see www.sdrplay.com and go to
> downloads

Can you please clarify whether you plan releasing an open source
driver or whether the existing open source driver in libmirisdr is
usable with your device http://cgit.osmocom.org/libmirisdr/

Given the diversity of linux systems, a binary only driver is a pain
to work with and you will have a hard time finding people willing to
support it. The availability of a HDSDR plugin is quite irrelevant
here.

Alex

G4ABQ

Apr 6, 2015, 5:07:59 AM4/6/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com

We've been working on an update to gr-osmosdr to support the SDRplay RSP. This library is used in applications such as Gnu Radio to support various SDR devices. http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/GrOsmoSDR

Our additions to the library have been submitted to the library owner and we're just waiting for confirmation of when the master repository will be updated to include them.

Alexandru Csete

Apr 6, 2015, 5:52:45 AM4/6/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the update. It's great news!

Once gr-osmosdr is updated it should also work in gqrx. I'll make sure
to make the necessary adjustments to the gui, if necessary. I will
also update the packages in our Ubuntu repository.

Alex

nku...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2015, 8:15:49 AM4/6/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Yesah, it's a very good news I'm waiting for.

The price drop on the sdrplay makes it a good choice.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

nku...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2015, 6:06:41 PM4/29/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Alexandru Csete

Apr 29, 2015, 6:14:52 PM4/29/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
As far as I understand it still requires a binary only driver library,
so good luck with that.
They just don't get it and I really don't care.

Alex

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:59 PM, <nku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems things are moving:
> http://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65
>

> Le lundi 6 avril 2015 14:15:49 UTC+2, nku...@gmail.com a écrit :
>>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/0860817d-65ca-4119-bfa9-5ba8d59bf603%40googlegroups.com.

G4ABQ

May 20, 2015, 1:46:06 AM5/20/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi from the SDRplay team - and regarding Alex's concerns - our problem is that we don't own the binary - the binary belongs to Mirics who developed the original chipset IP.  What we provide if you download Linux API from http://www.sdrplay.com/api_drivers.html   is identical to what GR-OSMOSDR provide on https://github.com/SDRplay/gr-osmosdr    - this should be enough.  best regards,  The SDRplay support team

G4ABQ

May 20, 2015, 1:55:48 AM5/20/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
So now that we're supported on the official GR-OSMOSDR distribution site, we very much hope that GQRX will add us to the list

Alexandru Csete

May 27, 2015, 4:26:28 PM5/27/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I have added SDRplay to the list of supported devices.

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/058168ae-9252-49da-ac5e-81ba845f67b6%40googlegroups.com.

thejon...@gmail.com