gqrx not working with pybombs and Ubuntu 15.04

demian

May 28, 2015, 11:18:08 AM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I finally got Pybombs to install gnuradio and set up my env in home/<username>/target/setup_env.sh

I also edited the gqrx.lwr file as has been recommended by many folks.
The program 'gqrx' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr

Everything appears to install correctly when I install from app_store but when I try to run 'gqrx', it says:

    The program 'gqrx' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr

I'm very new to all of this so any help would be great.

Thanks,

Alexandru Csete

May 28, 2015, 11:36:42 AM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
The pybombs method is intended for developers or at least people who
know what they are doing, since it is installing most of the stuff
from source. I have no idea what happened to your installation, but
normally you have to run the set_env.sh script before runnign any
programs installed through pybombs. So perhaps that what you are
missing.

Did you end up installing the official Ubuntu package called gqrx-sdr?
If yes, surely there is a /usr/bin/gqrx application?

Alex

demian sims

May 28, 2015, 11:46:38 AM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I was going to do that (install gqrx-sdr) but wasn't sure if it would conflict with whatever pybombs installs. In the official Pybombs getting started, they say install gnuradio via ./pybombs install gnuradio and then setup the env. That's why I did that. Gnuradio installed fine. GRC works. I can use rtl_sdr but when I try to install gqrx or gr-gsm for example, they're nowhere to be found even though it appears everything is installing.

So is it ok to go the 'sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr' route?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Gqrx SDR" group.

demian sims

May 28, 2015, 11:52:13 AM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alex,
I went ahead and installed via 'sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr'

When I try to run gqrx, I get the following error:

    linux; GNU C++ version 4.9.2; Boost_105500; UHD_003.009.git-171-g51bc00ee

gr-osmosdr 0.1.3 (0.1.3) gnuradio 3.7.5
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy
gqrx: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnuradio-osmosdr.so.0.1.3: undefined symbol: _ZN3uhd6device4findERKNS_13device_addr_tE

Alexandru Csete

May 28, 2015, 12:02:07 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com

demian sims

May 28, 2015, 12:11:21 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
usr/bin/gqrx gives me the same above error. I removed gqrx-sdr just to see if it would work with pybombs install and nothing shows up. I did a system wide search and no sign of gqrx.

This is the output when I use the pybombs method of installing:

Installing packages:
* hackrf
* autoconf
* libtool
* automake
* libosmo-dsp
* gr-iqbal
* bladeRF
* gr-osmosdr
* pulseaudio
* gqrx
Installing from source: hackrf

make install

Installing: (100%) [===========================================================]

Alexandru Csete

May 28, 2015, 12:30:15 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
There was probably an error somewhere saying something like:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lboost_system-mt
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lboost_program_options-mt
make: *** [gqrx] Error 1

I have edited the recipes/gqrx.lwr file and removed the
BOOST_SUFFIX=-mt only leaving qmake on that line. Then:

./pybombs clean gqrx
./pybombs install gqrx

and it works fine.

Alex

Robin Gape

May 28, 2015, 12:38:58 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Demian,

there are two sane ways of installing GQRX & GNU Radio on an Ubuntu box:
A) using the ppa:gqrx/snapshots repository, and installing the gqrx package (and all its dependencies)

B) compiling from source, firstly GNU Radio, and then GQRX
The specific problem with compiling GNU Radio (which is what a PyBOMBS install does) is that the rest of the package management system does not know about the pre-existing (and fully functional) GNU Radio installation. All sorts of bad thingsâ„¢ will happen when installing packages that depend on GNU Radio (in this case GQRX)!

It's tricky to trouble-shoot blind, since neither Alex nor I are fully aware of what your machine is or how it's configured. A good suggestion, for a newcomer, might be:
1. Remove all traces of the PyBOMBS install of GNU Radio (uninstall)

2. Install the ppa:gqrx/snapshots repository:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gqrx/snapshots

3. Install package gqrx
sudo apt-get gqrx

This installs GNU Radio, and a number of other packages, as dependencies of GQRX

4. Start gqrx, from the terminal or whichever shell you're using, and now the radio fun begins!
Why this approach? PyBOMBS is a work in progress, and geared towards folk who live life on the (software) bleeding edge. Although it's fun—and gives a real sense of achievement when it's successful—to compile one's programs from source, there are many traps for the inexperienced! It's much easier to debug installations at package level than installations from source.

Alternatively
If you do want to play with PyBOMBS, then the best advice would be to set up a virtual machine as a play area, and play with that until you're confident in compiling. That said, the PyBOMBS GUI does appear to offer gqrx as a compilation recipe, so option B) above is not out of the question. [Note: I've no direct experience of using PyBOMBS, nor real need since the gqrx/snapshots PPA was established!] That approach is what Alex's most recent email is referring to.

Good luck,

Robin, G8DQX

demian sims

May 28, 2015, 12:39:57 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I did exactly the same and when i run gqrx in terminal I still get:

    the program 'gqrx' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr

demian sims

May 28, 2015, 12:42:55 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Robin,
Thanks for this. I will try this way (non-pybombs) and see what happens. I did try running the script (marcus leech) last night and it said build failed. This morning I upgraded cmake and the pybombs worked. Maybe I should just try sudo apt-get install gnuradio. Simple as that.

demian sims

May 28, 2015, 12:55:28 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I removed all traces of pybombs packages and pybombs itself.

I installed the repository ppa as recommended.

I did 'sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr' and when I run 'gqrx' in terminal, I get:

linux; GNU C++ version 4.9.2; Boost_105500; UHD_003.009.git-171-g51bc00ee

gr-osmosdr 0.1.3 (0.1.3) gnuradio 3.7.5
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy
gqrx: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnuradio-osmosdr.so.0.1.3: undefined symbol: _ZN3uhd6device4findERKNS_13device_addr_tE

demian sims

May 28, 2015, 1:00:14 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr obviously did not install gnuradio and all dependencies. I'm going to give the script another try now that I have a new version of cmake.

Robin Gape

May 28, 2015, 1:08:17 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Demian,

if only it were simple! The versions of GNU Radio and GQRX that are available in Ubuntu 15.04 are slightly behind the most recent. Simply installing, on a clean system, gqrx-sdr will bring in gnuradio as a dependency. If that's all that you need, that's a win!

If your hardware needs something more recent, then the gqrx/snapshots PPA would be the place to go for Ubuntu 14.04 or 14.10. However, the PPA does not (currently) support 15.04. (Alex, is there a good reason for that?) At this point, if you only have Ubuntu 15.04 installed, then PyBOMBS looks to be the only way to go (with Alex's modification to the build scripts).

If you are using some hardware that's only just been supported, then it's bleeding edge, I'm afraid!

Cheers,

Robin, G8DQX

demian sims

May 28, 2015, 1:15:56 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Ok, should I install an older version of Ubuntu to get all of this working?

Robin Gape

May 28, 2015, 1:18:40 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Demian,

See earlier email. Given the problem with the repository & 15.04, disable the repository in software centre (or synaptic), and try the install again. What will cause lots of grief is having multiple versions of gnuradio present on an installation. If previous installs (whether from package or source) are not cleaned out fully, then things are highly likely to go awry.

Robin, G8DQX

Robin Gape

May 28, 2015, 1:25:43 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Demian,

this install is 14.04 LTS. The installation is on to a machine that has multiple system partitions, so that several OSes may be present at once. 15.04 has a supported life of 9 months, 14.04 has a support life of 5 years, with a new LTS version due in April 2016.

My strong preference for a working machine is only to install an LTS version, and to keep it reasonably well backed up.

So to answer your question, Yes, install Ubuntu 14.04.2 (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop), and amend as required.

Robin, G8DQX
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gqrx SDR" group.

Alexandru Csete

May 28, 2015, 4:45:15 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 7:08 PM, Robin Gape <robi...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> However, the PPA does
> not (currently) support 15.04. (Alex, is there a good reason for that?)

I didn't have time to update and I thought the packages in the
repository would work fine.

Alex

demian sims

May 28, 2015, 4:56:47 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Robin,
I was able to get Gnuradio to install with no problems with the M Leech script. I'm wondering with pybombs since some of those apps are only distributed through pybombs now, if it's possible to reverse it so that pybombs uses my root level install of gnuradio and anything else I put in there.

Thanks,
Demian

Alexandru Csete

May 28, 2015, 4:59:28 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 10:56 PM, demian sims <demia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robin,
> I was able to get Gnuradio to install with no problems with the M Leech
> script. I'm wondering with pybombs since some of those apps are only
> distributed through pybombs now, if it's possible to reverse it so that
> pybombs uses my root level install of gnuradio and anything else I put in
> there.

Wait a minute... You have already installed gnuradio with the
build-gnuradio script before you tried pybombs and the ubuntu
repository???

Alex

demian sims

May 28, 2015, 5:42:28 PM5/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
No, I tried Pybombs first. Did not install (problem with cmake and gr-trellis). So then I gave the script a try. Error saying 'Cannot Make'. Got rid of everything starting over this morning. I made sure all the dependencies were up to date including Ubuntu itself. Checked the error logs and noticed some conflicts with some packages (libqwt6). Read about some issues with cmake so I upgraded Cmake. Tried Pybombs again and it install gnuradio just fine. I was not able to install some of the other 'bombs' like gqrx. It would say everything was built but could not execute from terminal. I took the advice of Robin and got rid of every trace of Pybombs and all installs that worked (in Target). Ran the gnuradio script again and voila! It worked.

demian sims

May 30, 2015, 1:40:58 AM5/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, sorry to be a pain but I reinstalled Ubuntu using 14.04.2 Trusty as recommended by Robin. Was able to get Gnuradio to install no problem (did the cmake upgrade just in case). I 'sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr'. Everything installs correctly and I still get the same error:

linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.009.git-171-g51bc00ee

gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace
gqrx: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnuradio-osmosdr.so.0.0.0: undefined symbol: _ZN3uhd6device4findERKNS_13device_addr_tE

Alexandru Csete

May 30, 2015, 3:38:40 AM5/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Demian,

Why on Earth do you install Gnuradio separately??? If you really read
what Robin wrote, then on a clean Ubuntu 14.04.2 installation:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gqrx/snapshots
sudo apt-get install gqrx

That's all. No scripts, no source, no cmake, no ....

Also, please make sure that your fresh install is really a fresh
install with formatted hard drive and not just some upgrade or
downgrade.

Alex
> "Gqrx SDR" group.
> email to gqrx+uns...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CABptFHh4%3Dq00nw1vTYwF775ZP3xeH%3DfrYa-GHXsDUBh%2BUc73oA%40mail.gmail.com.

Demian Sims

May 30, 2015, 10:22:17 AM5/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Ok but is the error I'm getting a result of installing GR first? Seems odd especially on a known working distro of linux. And yes, it's a reformatted, clean install if 14.04.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAHG%3DS_dDnsfoy6p%3D27_NTh0o1uaZTALPZo7Gtq%2BKS34SN%3DmP%3DA%40mail.gmail.com.

Alexandru Csete

May 30, 2015, 10:46:24 AM5/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
The error means that gqrx was compiled with a different version of
libgnuradio-osmosdr.so.0.0.0 than the one available at runtime. In
most cases this is a result of mixing different installation methods.
It could also mean broken binary packages but it's impossible to tell
as long as you are mixing things together.

Alex
Message has been deleted

Alexandru Csete

May 31, 2015, 4:07:40 PM5/31/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
The gqrx/snapshots is now updated to include packages for Ubuntu 15.04.
At the same time I have also upgraded UHD, Airspy gr-osmosdr and gqrx.

Alex

demian sims

May 31, 2015, 7:29:38 PM5/31/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
After receiving your announcement today about gqrx working in 15.04, I decided to reinstall Ubuntu (I was having a nightmare time trying to get my Broadcom wifi to work with 14.04). I can say that everything works!

Question: how to I get my Airspy to work in Gqrx?

Alex

Alexandru Csete

May 31, 2015, 7:38:42 PM5/31/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 1:29 AM, demian sims <demia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After receiving your announcement today about gqrx working in 15.04, I
> decided to reinstall Ubuntu (I was having a nightmare time trying to get my
> Broadcom wifi to work with 14.04). I can say that everything works!

Sounds good, thanks for the info.

> Question: how to I get my Airspy to work in Gqrx?

It should just work. Does it not?
You have to plug it in after you have installed gqrx.

Alex

demian sims

May 31, 2015, 8:37:44 PM5/31/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Yes it's working now. The Airspy driver is buggy and will stop working sometimes which is another issue.

I'm not getting any audio out of Gqrx. I've made sure volume is up and I've tried both 'default' and 'analog out'.

I've made sure other audio is playing back and it does.

Alex