FATAL error on Ubuntu 16.04

Sam Mostert

May 2, 2017, 8:53:27 AM5/2/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hey guys,
first up thanks for putting the time into developing such a great tool! I am however having issues getting it to run with my USRP B205. It works with my RTL-SDR but is throwing a fatal error when I hit the all important run button. Below is a code dump:
[INFO] [UHD] linux; GNU C++ version 5.4.0 20160609; Boost_105800; UHD_3.11.0.git-128-g379f922d
Controlport disabled
No user supplied config file. Using "default.conf"
gr
-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.10
built
-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy soapy redpitaya
FM demod gain
: 1.52789
IQ DCR alpha
: 1.04166e-05
Using audio backend: auto
BookmarksFile is /home/roaming-honeybadger/.config/gqrx/bookmarks.csv
getDeviceList
: Available input devices:

0 : "Ettus B200 (B205i) 30F842D"

1 : "RFSPACE SDR-IQ Receiver"

2 : "RFSPACE SDR-IP Receiver"

3 : "RFSPACE NetSDR Receiver"

4 : "RFSPACE Cloud-IQ Receiver"

5 : "RTL-SDR Spectrum Server"

6 : "Red Pitaya Transceiver Server"

7 : "Complex Sampled (IQ) File"
Configuration file: "/home/roaming-honeybadger/.config/gqrx/default.conf"
gr
-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.10
built
-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy soapy redpitaya

FATAL:
GR
-UHD detected ABI compatibility mismatch with UHD library.
GR
-UHD was build against ABI: 3.10.1,
but UHD library reports ABI
: 3.11.0
Suggestion: install an ABI compatible version of UHD,
or rebuild GR-UHD component against this ABI version.

Trying to fill up 1 missing channel(s) with null source(s).
This is being done to prevent the application from crashing
due to gnuradio bug
#528.

********************
********************
No change in output device:
  old
:

new:

Failed to set RX input rate to 250000
Your device may not be working properly.

IQ DCR samp_rate
: 250000
IQ DCR alpha
: 3.99998e-06
Changing NB_RX quad rate: 96000 -> 250000
Requested sample rate: 250000
Actual sample rate   : "250000.000000"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Requested bandwidth: 0 Hz
Actual bandwidth   : 0 Hz
setFreqCorr
: 0 ppm
New LNB LO: 0 Hz
updateHWFrequencyRange failed fetching
new hardware frequency range
New mode index: 0
Filter preset for mode 0 LO: 0 HI: 0
setFftRate to
"25 fps"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
setFftSize to
"8192"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz

If anyone has come across this before a fix would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Sam

Alexandru Csete

May 2, 2017, 6:38:59 PM5/2/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sam,

Please check out this page: http://gqrx.dk/user-support - it contains
some useful info regarding asking for help.

Anyway, as the error says:

> FATAL:
> GR-UHD detected ABI compatibility mismatch with UHD library.
> GR-UHD was build against ABI: 3.10.1,
> but UHD library reports ABI: 3.11.0
> Suggestion: install an ABI compatible version of UHD,
> or rebuild GR-UHD component against this ABI version.

your gnuradio and UHD installations are incompatible with each other.
Probably because you have upgraded UHD without rebuilding gnuradio.
But I'm just guessing since you haven't provided any details.

Also note that this is not really a gqrx issue but a low level
hardware driver issue, so it is limited how much I can help here (I
don't even have a USRP). If you can't resolve it you should probably
try the gnuradio or UHD mailing lists.

Alex

Robin Gape

May 2, 2017, 7:39:53 PM5/2/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Sam,

as Alex pointed out, you've not provided the rest of us with all the information. It looks as if you've installed GQRX from the PPA, but the UHD version is 3.11.x in your system, whereas the PPA-based version is 3.10. (Your highlighted error message is saying pretty much the same thing.)

The likely explanation is that you have locally compiled GNU Radio, but installed GQRX from the repository, or some variant of that procedure. As you've found, this way madness lies! The simple solution is:

1) to thoroughly clean the system of both the locally compiled GNU Radio and GQRX, whether installed from a package or locally compiled, and then:

2A) install GQRX from the PPA (installs GNU Radio from PPA as a dependency), or

2B) install GQRX and GNU Radio using the PyBombs script

Option 2B is not for the faint hearted, and is best done on an installation that you don't mind thoroughly cleaning or re-installing.

There has been discussion on this list of a problem with the UHD library. I'd suggest that, after checking in the list archive, you politely encourage the library maintainer, or better yet offer to help if you are able to.

Good luck,

Robin, G8DQX

Philip Collier

May 7, 2017, 7:05:23 AM5/7/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Sam,

Dependency mismatches can be really annoying but must somehow be dealt with. I've been through that recently, and it sure is a relief when the software 1) compiles and 2) runs.

Over here, it was helpful to keep a 16.04 system "frugally installed" on a USB stick for experimentation and testing. I broke Gqrx a thousand ways playing with rtl-sdr and other firmware ☺. Couldn't help it - Guthub is the ultimate nerd's candy store.

Pybombs is pretty slick, but is best used on something you can boot, break, reboot, and break again before you have it all worked out. When the dependencies are properly installed your radios will run beautifully..

Cheers,
Phil AB9IL