Gqrx 2.4 released

Alexandru Csete

Dec 12, 2015, 3:35:41 PM12/12/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I'm happy to announce that gqrx 2.4 is now available. You can read the
full release announcement on the website:
http://gqrx.dk/news/gqrx-2-4-released

Source package is available through Github:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/releases/tag/v2.4

Ubuntu users who use the PPA, please note that we now have a new PPA
that uses GNU Radio and SDR drivers from external sources. So you have
to disable the old gqrx/releases or gqrx/snapshots PPS and uninstall
the "obsolete" gnuraido and gqrx packages. Then you can add and
install from the new PPA following the instructions here:
http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu

I hope this change will not cause too much trouble. In the long run it
will make package maintenance easier for me.

Feel free to ask here if you need help.

I hope that other distributions and macports will follow shortly.

73
Alex OZ9AEC

Kurt

Dec 13, 2015, 10:13:35 AM12/13/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

   I have 14.04.3 and thought I uninstalled everything before I gave it a shot.
The PPA install worked fine but I get this error on starting?
gqrx
linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.4; Boost_105400; UHD_003.009.001-0-unknown

Controlport disabled
No user supplied config file. Using "default.conf"
gr-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.8
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy soapy
Using Volk machine: ssse3_32_orc
 *** alpha: 0.242535
IQ DCR alpha: 1.04166e-05
Using audio backend: auto
New filter offset: 0 Hz
BookmarksFile is /home/machine/.config/gqrx/bookmarks.csv
Configuration file: "/home/machine/.config/gqrx/default.conf"
Crash guard triggered!

Launching I/O device editor
firstTimeConfig
gqrx: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgnuradio-osmosdr.so.0.1.5git: undefined symbol: hackrf_device_list
machine@rkt2:~$

Any thoughts? The PPA install went fine.  Kurt KC9LDH

Dec 13, 2015, 11:16:10 AM12/13/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,

It was from the old Ubuntu. I thought I had the package manager remove all traces
as I rebooted and typed in gqrx and it said it was missing and gave a suggestion of a bunch of packages for me to download.  So I assumed I got all traces out but I guess that means I missed something.  Thanks Kurt KC9LDH

Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2015 9:28 AM
Subject: Re: [gqrx] Gqrx 2.4 released

Alexandru Csete

Dec 13, 2015, 12:08:59 PM12/13/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kurt,

Here is what I recommend you do.

1. Using synaptic package manager, Settings -> Repositories, remove
the PPAs (bladerf, myriadrf, gqrx)
2. Reload
3. Then click Status and choose obsolete or auto-removable.
4. You will see gqrx and a bunch of gnuradio related packages. Uninstall them.
5. Then remove any remaining packages from the original install:

libgnuradio-analog3.7.2.1
libgnuradio-audio3.7.2.1
libgnuradio-blocks3.7.2.1
libgnuradio-fft3.7.2.1
libgnuradio-filter3.7.2.1
libgnuradio-osmosdr0.0.0
libgnuradio-pmt3.7.2.1
libgnuradio-runtime3.7.2.1
libgnuradio-fcd3.7.2.1
libgnuradio-fcdproplus0
libgnuradio-iqbalance0
libgnuradio-uhd3.7.2.1
libhackrf0
libosmosdr0
librtlsdr0
libuhd003
libbladerf

I believe this will remove all binary installations. You should now be
able to reinstall according to
http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu

Alex

Kurt

Dec 13, 2015, 2:57:40 PM12/13/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex,

  Will give it a shot later today.  I've got the Android "Rf Analyzer"  (yes I know it has nothing to do with gqrx directly) and am amazed how it runs on my Nexus 7 2013.
Want to get gqrx back up on my laptop as I've enjoyed the prior versions.

Kurt KC9LDH

Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2015 11:08 AM

jmly...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2015, 5:51:23 PM12/13/15
to Gqrx SDR
Anyone have an "apt-get purge" and an "apt-get install" shell script that will do the clean up and reinstall semi-automatically?

James
KE4MIQ
Ubuntu 14.04LTS, HP 15 Quadcore

Alexandru Csete

Dec 13, 2015, 6:58:43 PM12/13/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:51 PM, <jmly...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone have an "apt-get purge" and an "apt-get install" shell script that
> will do the clean up and reinstall semi-automatically?

James,

A script that works for some will mess up the system for others. As I
said, the process depends on whether you use the official packages or
the old PPA. So, which one do you use?

If you use the official packages it is really as simple as:

sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove gqrx-sdr

If you use the PPA it is:

sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove gqrx

Then delete the gqrx/releases and/or gqrx/snapshots PPA from the
software sources (or repositories).

Alex

Alexandru Csete

Dec 13, 2015, 7:08:36 PM12/13/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Or even better to use:

sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove gqrx-sdr

Alex

Kurt

Dec 14, 2015, 1:11:32 AM12/14/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
That did it.  Although it failed to run first time because it said I was missing libuhd003 and next startup said I was missing libhackrf.  Went back to Synaptic and they were there so I just re-installed them and it fired right up first time.  Thanks a lot.

Kurt KC9LDH

Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2015 11:08 AM

Den Eckert

Dec 14, 2015, 5:36:57 PM12/14/15
to Gqrx SDR
Hello Mr. Csete,

Thank you so so much for all the effort you have put into this program.  I'm a bit of a newbie who just got a nervous when you said we should "you have

to disable the old gqrx/releases or gqrx/snapshots PPS and uninstall the "obsolete" gnuraido and gqrx packages.

I installed GQRXS 4-6 weeks ago (Linux Mint 17.3 MATE now) and I'm pretty sure I can follow your instructions on removing GQRX. I didn't see what version it was in the Help > About.

I also have running GRC (GNU Radio Companion) 3.7.8 plus the rtl-sdr or whatever gives us rtl_fm and those packages. I also have from a Russian source some LRPT picture decoding software for Russian Meteor weather satellite. and also have SDR# in the Mono and Wine environment (but they are very slow on this older laptp).  Thus, I am not quite sure how to proceed to remove the packages I just mentioned. Should I just follow the same procedure of putting names of the
programs in Synaptic package manager and remove that way.  Any suggestions you or someone might have would be most helpful.
73
Dennis -- KB7ST in WA State

Alexandru Csete

Dec 14, 2015, 5:51:21 PM12/14/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dennis,

I am a bit puzzled by that you have gnuradio 3.7.8 installed, since
neither Ubuntu, Mint or my old PPA provides it. Are you sure it is
version 3.7.8?

Anyway, the important thing is to know whether you have installed gqrx
from the official Ubuntu/Mint repositories or from our PPA. The
easiest way is to open synaptic package manager and search for gqrx
and see what the package name is:

gqrx-sdr: official Ubuntu/Mint package
gqrx: package from our old PPA

In either case you can remove the old packages by running in a terminal:

sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove gqrx-sdr

(or gqrx)

If it goes through without errors you can then proceed with installing
from the new PPA.

Alex

Den Eckert

Dec 15, 2015, 6:16:01 PM12/15/15
to Gqrx SDR
Alex,
I'm about 70 years old and some parts of my memory have drifted away like a dissipating cumulus cloud (I used to be a glider pilot here in central WA State). I seem to remember installing gnuradio 3.7.8 by following a tutorial on learning GRC. And thanks for the clarifications.  A friend and I are playing with a distro called Andy's Ham Radio with lots of ham radio software on it, but the author says he doesn't have experience with Windows or Mac.  And the consequence of that, it seems to my friend and I, is that his instructions are a bit hard to follow.  Because he assumes too much, but when I follow the GQRX group here I see many experts and learn some new 'things'.

Again, much thanks for your efforts, sir.
Dennis KB7ST

Alexandru Csete

Dec 15, 2015, 7:37:47 PM12/15/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dennis,

Ok, no problem from my part. I guess you could just try:

sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove gqrx-sdr
sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove gqrx

and then try to install from the new PPA as described here:

http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu

I guess this will go wrong if you somehow have installed gnuradio from
source code following some tutorial. Could you try executing the
following in a terminal and see what it prints out:

locate libgnuradio-analog

It should list various gnuradio installations and might give me a clue
about how you have installed it.

Alex

Den Eckert

Dec 16, 2015, 10:26:36 PM12/16/15
to Gqrx SDR
Hello Alex,

Here is the info you requested ~

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnuradio-analog.so.3.7.2.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnuradio-analog.so.3.7.5
/usr/share/doc/libgnuradio-analog3.7.2.1
/usr/share/doc/libgnuradio-analog3.7.5
/usr/share/doc/libgnuradio-analog3.7.2.1/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libgnuradio-analog3.7.2.1/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libgnuradio-analog3.7.5/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libgnuradio-analog3.7.5/copyright
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.0:amd64.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.0:amd64.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.2.1:amd64.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.2.1:amd64.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.2.1:amd64.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.2.1:amd64.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.2.1:amd64.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.3:amd64.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.3:amd64.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.5:amd64.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.5:amd64.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.5:amd64.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.5:amd64.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgnuradio-analog3.7.5:amd64.shlibs

Dennis KB7ST

Alexandru Csete

Dec 18, 2015, 7:20:50 AM12/18/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so you still have gnuradio 3.7.2.1 and 3.7.5 installed. They may
be blocking installation of version 3.7.8 which comes in the PPA.

You can start synaptic package manager and search for gnuradio. Then
select "Completely uninstall" all packages that have version 3.7.2.1
and 3.7.5

I wish I had a more bullet proof way of doing it, but I don't.

Alex

Richard Didd

Dec 19, 2015, 12:47:49 PM12/19/15
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Alex

Is there going to be a Mac dmg image to download ?
I have a new macbook air (just recently jumped ship) and have GQRX 2.2 version and would like to update.

Thanks

Rich

Richard Didd

Dec 19, 2015, 12:54:23 PM12/19/15
to Gqrx SDR
Alex

Found the latest version on git hub for the Mac.
I had to relax the security permissions but got it working.

Great work. looks good

Thanks

Rich

jmly...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2015, 11:47:25 AM12/20/15
to Gqrx SDR
Based on the previous suggestions, this is what worked for me converting from ppa:gqrx/snapshots(2.3.x) to the new 2.4 structure.

Thanks, Alex, for a great package!

On Ubuntu 14.04.3LTS(HP 15 Quad Core Laptop)

    sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove gqrx
    sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:gqrx/snapshots
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:bladerf/bladerf
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:myriadrf/drivers
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:myriadrf/gnuradio
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:gqrx/gqrx-sdr
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr
    sudo apt-get install libvolk1-bin
    volk_profile (This seems to run forever. I had to ctrl-c it. ???)

James
KE4MIQ

P.S. I have an article coming out in the January 2016 QRP Quarterly and the January 2016 QST contains an article on an upconverter based on a Mini Circuits SRA-1 mixer and RTL dongle. It's very nicely packaged.

Robin Gape

Dec 20, 2015, 7:35:10 PM12/20/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
James,

curiosity overtook me. Using time volk_profile, volk_profile (gnuradio 2.3) took about 4 minutes to complete on an i7 2.7GHz machine, and around 14 minutes (gnuradio 2.4) on an i3 1.5GHz machine. Whilst it is running, a single core (or single thread, if multi-threaded) will be running at 100%. At the end, the script will write a volk configuration file for your specific system for what it considers will process fastest.

One can only suggest that patience is a virtue, and you wanted/needed that cup of tea/coffee/alternative beverage anyhow!

Cheers, and Compliments of The Season,

Robin, G8DQX

jmly...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2015, 4:18:42 PM12/21/15
to Gqrx SDR
Thanks, Robin. I did not let it run for anywhere near 14 minutes.

I'll run it again and try to be patient this time!

Seasons Greetings to all!

James

jmly...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2015, 10:14:28 AM12/22/15
to Gqrx SDR
Update: It ran for 15 minutes on my HP 15 Quadcore.
Thanks again for the suggestion.
James

Calvin Kutemeier

Jan 11, 2016, 11:34:38 AM1/11/16
to Gqrx SDR
I just tried to update to 2.4 from a prior GQRX installation on a Dell D830 running Ubuntu 14.04.  It will not work and I got the following error:

On a separate linux box running the same operating system, I successfully upgraded to 2.4.

How can I install this needed file?  I have tried several times this morning.

Thanks

Calvin

Alexandru Csete

Jan 11, 2016, 1:34:11 PM1/11/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I don't understand what you mean. What needed file?
Also, how did you manage to install 2.4 when the latest release is 2.5
announced a few days ago?

The instruction are here:
http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu

That's as easy as I can make it.

Alex

Calvin Kutemeier

Jan 11, 2016, 8:28:07 PM1/11/16
to Gqrx SDR
Thanks for getting back to me.  I have been using the instructions you also provided here.  The following appeared as I used the instructions:

After "sudo apt-get update"

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/gqrx/releases/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/gqrx/releases/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

-------------------------------
After "sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  libmirisdr0
Install these packages without verification? [y/N] y
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net/gqrx/releases/ubuntu/ trusty/main libmirisdr0 amd64 0.0.4.59ba37-gqrx~trusty1
  404  Not Found
E: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/gqrx/releases/ubuntu/pool/main/libm/libmirisdr/libmirisdr0_0.0.4.59ba37-gqrx~trusty1_amd64.deb  404  Not Found

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Alexandru Csete

Jan 12, 2016, 7:28:08 AM1/12/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:28 AM, Calvin Kutemeier
<calvink...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me. I have been using the instructions you also
> provided here. The following appeared as I used the instructions:
>
> After "sudo apt-get update"
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/gqrx/releases/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-amd64/Packages
> 404 Not Found
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/gqrx/releases/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages
> 404 Not Found

The gqrx/releases repositories is no longer available, so you should
remove it from the list of repositories / software sources. When done
"refresh" the list of packages. Then try again.

Alex

Calvin Kutemeier

Jan 12, 2016, 10:23:00 AM1/12/16
to Gqrx SDR
Alex,

Thanks.  This corrected my error.  Great program!

Alexandru Csete

Jan 12, 2016, 5:04:00 PM1/12/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Ok, sounds good :-)
I have updated the guide to include removal of the old PPA from the
software sources.

Alex