Newest Snapshot Not Seeing Airspy

grege...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2015, 6:31:38 PM6/1/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I just did a clean install of 64 bit Xubuntu 15.04 on an AMD quad core machine.  Then I added the Gqrx snapshots PPA and installed the brand new Gqrx version 2.3.2.101.
This install works with an original rtl-sdr dongle, a new dongle with a -T2 tuner chip, a FunCube Pro Plus, and a NetSDR.  It does not see my Airspy, which worked on the same machine with
Mint 17.1 and an earlier release of Gqrx.  Airspy_info does not see my Airspy either.  When I plug in my Airspy some modules I don't recognize load:

user1@NSA1:~$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
airspy                 24576  0
videobuf2_vmalloc      16384  1 airspy
videobuf2_memops       16384  1 videobuf2_vmalloc
videobuf2_core         49152  1 airspy
v4l2_common            16384  2 airspy,videobuf2_core
videodev              159744  3 airspy,v4l2_common,videobuf2_core
media                  24576  1 videodev

Is this a new Linux Kernel thing?

Greg

AD0JP

grege...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2015, 7:01:25 PM6/1/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Just answered my own question.  Found out that starting in kernel 3.17 there is an Airspy module that is not supported yet.  Easy to blacklist with the following command :

echo blacklist airspy |sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/airspy-blacklist.conf ; sudo rmmod airspy

Airspy works now.  Thanks for adding frequency display to mouse pointer.

Alexandru Csete

Jun 2, 2015, 7:17:55 AM6/2/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 1:01 AM, <grege...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just answered my own question. Found out that starting in kernel 3.17 there
> is an Airspy module that is not supported yet. Easy to blacklist with the
> following command :
>
> echo blacklist airspy |sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/airspy-blacklist.conf ; sudo
> rmmod airspy
>
> Airspy works now. Thanks for adding frequency display to mouse pointer.

Thanks for the info, Greg.

I think we can get libairspy to unload the kernel driver (I already
built librtlsdr with that option). If that works, it will no longer be
necessary to blacklist the kernel modules. I will look into this soon.

Alex