Using GQRX for HF w/ Chinese "Full Band UV HF RTL-SDR USB Tuner Receiver R820T + 8232"

Ryan Stively

Feb 8, 2015, 5:05:05 PM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Hey guys,

I recently picked up one of these: eBay "full band" RTLSDRs[1] .  Seems to work fine in GQRX with VHF frequencies, but I'm having issues with HF.

My main interest is to be able to listen to shortwave and other AM stations.

I have a long-wire antenna plugged directly into the "HF" coax on the unit (tried this with the UV port as well) and I can't seem to pick up any AM stations.

I offset GQRX's tuning feature to -24.000000 MHz so I could begin tuning around 100khz. I see some signals down in those regions but am unable to tune to them. Sometimes they just make a high-pitched whining sound.

I made a screencast to illustrate what's going on.[2]

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

Alexandru Csete

Feb 8, 2015, 5:37:11 PM2/8/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps this discussion not so long ago can help:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gqrx/dLjb6VMZ5TI/QT0V4e2kJYAJ

Alex

Graeme House

Apr 12, 2015, 11:12:02 AM4/12/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex, I have the same unit and have good success using the device on a Windows PC running HDSDR. I did find that to receive HF signals I had to toggle the I/Q configuration setting. I hope that helps. I have not had any luck using the unit with GQRX on my MacBook Pro running Yosemite. The program does not detect my device so I would be interested in what configuration you use for the device.
Good Luck!

Walter Francis

Apr 12, 2015, 11:45:21 AM4/12/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to say this, maybe you'll have better luck, but I know TWO people who picked up that exact device, at least by appearance anyway, and neither of them got anything below 24mhz to work.  I think it's a scam.  But perhaps it's a faulty or non-standard setup or something.

Alexandru Csete

Apr 12, 2015, 6:25:23 PM4/12/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
There was a recent discussion about this on reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/RTLSDR/comments/2v8b34/hf_using_chinese_full_band_uv_hf_rtlsdr_usb_tuner/

The solution was to use the device string:
rtl=0,direct_samp=2

That's all I can help. I don't have this device and really don't care
about these.

Alex