Ubuntu PPA for Gqrx and GNU Radio

Alexandru Csete

Aug 2, 2013, 7:29:23 PM8/2/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I am happy to announce that we now have a PPA with gqrx and gnuradio packages for Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10, 13.04 and 13.10, so it should cover a wide range of Debian & derivative distributions.

Release channel: https://launchpad.net/~gqrx/+archive/releases
Development snapshots: https://launchpad.net/~gqrx/+archive/snapshots

Currently, the release channel is empty but it will be populated when Gqrx 2.2 is released in a few days.

All dependencies that are not available from the official repositories should be available through the PPA. The PPA is still a work in progress and we need people to test the packages. I have already tested with Funcube Dongle Pro, Pro+ and rtlsdr. Will also test with USRP and HackRF later.

Before using this PPA you must make sure that any prior installations of gnuradio and gqrx (manually or via script) are removed or disabled.

Once you have a GNU Radio-free computer, installing from this PPA is as simple as:

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gqrx/snapshots
$ sudo apt-get install gqrx

For USB-based devices, you must copy the udev rules files to /etc/udev/rules.d/ manually. I will fix this later.

It has taken many days to get this up and running and I hope it will be useful. Feedback is welcome!

Alex

Chris

Aug 2, 2013, 7:38:18 PM8/2/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 16:29:23 -0700 (PDT)
Alexandru Csete <oz9...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It has taken many days to get this up and running and I hope it will be
> useful. Feedback is welcome!

Great news! The FCD Pro+ finally works! Thank you Alex :D

I have tested the following devices:

1. Funcube Dongle Pro+
2. DVB-T dongle based on R820T chip

Both works fine (Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS).

Greets,
Chris

Alexandru Csete

Aug 2, 2013, 7:45:38 PM8/2/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear that Phil. It's great to finally have Funcube Dongle Pro+
support :-)

Alex

Alexandru Csete

Aug 3, 2013, 11:40:11 AM8/3/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM, Alexandru Csete <oz9...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For USB-based devices, you must copy the udev rules files to
> /etc/udev/rules.d/ manually. I will fix this later.

This is no longer the case. Now udev rules are installed automatically
into /lib/udev/rules.d/

One can still use own rules by placing them in /etc/udev/rules.d/ and
let it start with a number > 40, e.g. 50-funcube-dongle.rules - this
will override the .rules file located in /etc/udev/rules.d/

Alex

Chris Johnson

Aug 6, 2013, 7:34:21 AM8/6/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I successfully got gqrx running via the PPA install on RTL dongles and FCDP+.   I was wondering how I could install the remaining parts of GnuRadio since your PPA installed 3.7.   I'd specifically want gnu-radio-companion.  Thx

Alexandru Csete

Aug 6, 2013, 7:54:36 AM8/6/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Chris Johnson <ozy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I successfully got gqrx running via the PPA install on RTL dongles and
> FCDP+. I was wondering how I could install the remaining parts of GnuRadio
> since your PPA installed 3.7. I'd specifically want gnu-radio-companion.

Chris,

Just install the package called gnuradio - that contains both the
gnuradio-companion as well as a bunch of other applications.
Note that the version number is not 3.7 but
3.7.0+1git20130729-g5eaeaa42, which means git revision g5eaeaa42 from
29 July after release 3.7.0

Thanks for the feedback!

Alex

Chris Johnson

Aug 6, 2013, 7:57:23 AM8/6/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
just so I don't mess up my perfect system, to install it just run

sudo apt-get install gnuradio

Alex

Alexandru Csete

Aug 6, 2013, 8:01:58 AM8/6/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Yes - or you can use a graphical tools such as synaptic or the
"software center". I use synaptic most of the time since it gives
better overview of what's going on without knowing all the command
line options.

Alex
> "Gqrx SDR" group.
> email to gqrx+uns...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CAEj-fkipsYE%3DHn%3DUcbF6%2BU3W16yDj91oveT6ZrmdT%2Bff0Tq8NQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Chris Johnson

Aug 6, 2013, 8:04:35 AM8/6/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much.   Just a few other small use questions that aren't in any docs...

Can I zoom in on the FFT?  I noticed there is a Return to 100% button, so I assume I can.

I own a Flex 6700 and the FFT is very similar.  I like gqrx very much.

Also,  Wide FM (Stereo) does not seem to decode stereo when selected.

Alexandru Csete

Aug 6, 2013, 8:10:57 AM8/6/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Chris Johnson <ozy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much. Just a few other small use questions that aren't in
> any docs...
>
> Can I zoom in on the FFT? I noticed there is a Return to 100% button, so I
> assume I can.

You can zoom using the scroll wheel on you mouse when the mouse
pointer is above the X or Y axis (notice the change in cursor). You
can also grab the axis and drag it.

> Also, Wide FM (Stereo) does not seem to decode stereo when selected.

It should work, but are you sure the content they transmit is in stereo?

Alex

Chris Johnson

Aug 6, 2013, 8:17:33 AM8/6/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
The mouse scroll worked.   I put on headphones and confirmed Stereo is working.  I'm sorry about that.  I guess my laptop has poor separation.   gnuradio installed perfectly via the GUI.   GRC works.   the osmoSDR modules are present and see the FCDP+ and RTL.   HOMERUN!

Thank you so very much.   I put down funds on a HackRF and can't wait to try it out.   I'll keep this system in this state and follow updates.

73 DE K6OZY

Alex

wais...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2013, 8:42:54 AM8/6/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
This repo looks great!  Any suggestions for someone like me that has already been installing/updating gnuradio 3.6 and supporting software via the build-gnuradio.sh script?

Alexandru Csete

Aug 6, 2013, 8:55:17 AM8/6/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I do not have any experience with the build-gnuradio.sh
script - does it have an uninstall option? The safest is to ask the
author or on the gnuradio list.

If you haven't installed anything else from source, you could probably
just wipe everyting from /usr/local/ but that's a bit risky...

Alex

Darren Long

Aug 6, 2013, 9:01:12 AM8/6/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I got gnuradio in to a bit of gnarly mess and resorted to using a
nuke-gnuradio.sh script I found mentioned in the archives here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2009-02/msg00521.html

I've put a copy of the script i used here:

http://pastebin.com/TZ3tPcVM

This might work for you, to clean up a scripted build and install, or it
might get you most of the way there.

Cheers,

Darren, G0HWW
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/3f0588fc-37bd-49a4-9449-b66362c13aa9%40googlegroups.com.

Darren Long

Aug 6, 2013, 9:04:44 AM8/6/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Oh. Actually this was for a gr 3.6 install. YMMV with gr 3.7. It
didn't seem to do any harm for me ;)

Darren

Alexandru Csete

Aug 15, 2013, 5:54:32 PM8/15/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick note that we have got armhf builds enabled for the gqrx/snapshots PPA.

Armhf refers to ARM architecture with hardware floating point support.

For now all packages are being rebuilt for Ubuntu 12.04 as this seems to be most common Ubuntu used on ARM devices. Later I will also rebuild for Ubuntu 13.04 but there are limits on how much resources one can use when building for armhf and I have to watch out not to abuse this service.

I can imagine that gqrx may not be very useful on all arm devices; however, I hope that at least the driver libraries, the command line tools and maybe even gnuradio itself will be useful.

Feedback is welcome.

Alex

Tomkat

Aug 29, 2013, 3:27:57 AM8/29/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, 3 August 2013 04:59:23 UTC+5:30, Alexandru Csete wrote:
Once you have a GNU Radio-free computer, installing from this PPA is as simple as:

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gqrx/snapshots
$ sudo apt-get install gqrx

Alex,

Does this also install gnuradio, grc, uhd, gr-osmosdr, etc automatically? Or does it install only gqrx?

fransmeu...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2013, 7:39:20 AM8/31/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 1:29:23 AM UTC+2, Alexandru Csete wrote:
[...]

I tried this for 12.04 for arm (armhf) linaro server but that one did not have apt-add-repository.
That can be installed with
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
after that apt-add-repository worked, but I still could not get the repo installed
Just added it manually in /var/apt/sources.list then ran apt-get update and installed

still something gets wrong but I am running out of time, will try later.

fransmeu...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2013, 4:20:16 AM9/1/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Some more findings on 12.04 armhf:

This is on a mele a2000:

gqrx does not seem to be in the snapshots repo
I could install librtlsdr

rtltest will detect my dongle, report sample lost at startup:

linaro@linaro-server:~$ rtl_test
Found 1 device(s):
  0:  ezcap USB 2.0 DVB-T/DAB/FM dongle

Using device 0: ezcap USB 2.0 DVB-T/DAB/FM dongle
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6

Info: This tool will continuously read from the device, and report if
samples get lost. If you observe no further output, everything is fine.

Reading samples in async mode...
lost at least 52 bytes

rtl_fm starts but gives a floating point exception

linaro@linaro-server:~$ rtl_fm -f 89.1M -N -s 170k -o 4 -A -r 32k -l 0 -D
Found 1 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: ezcap USB 2.0 DVB-T/DAB/FM dongle
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Oversampling input by: 2x.
Oversampling output by: 4x.
Buffer size: 6.02ms
Tuned to 89440000 Hz.
Sampling at 1360000 Hz.
Output at 170000 Hz.
Exact sample rate is: 1360000.050439 Hz
Tuner gain set to automatic.
Floating point exception

/proc/version says:
Linux version 3.0.31+ (jaufranc@Precise-VBOX) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) ) #1 PREEMPT Thu Jun 21 20:16:20 ICT 2012

this is a armhf system.

Anyone an idea ?

Alexandru Csete

Sep 1, 2013, 4:58:43 AM9/1/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I didn't actually have a chance to try them yet, but I know of someone
who is using the builds on a parallella board. That's a completely
different configuration though.

I can see in the repository that gqrx is indeed missing. I must have
forgotten to rebuild it, as builds take long time and there are limits
on how many builds one can do. I will build gqrx 2.2 for arm when I
get home.

As for the rtlsdr problem, I would try to build myself. It only
requires gcc and libusb-1.0--dev. I see the PPA was built using gcc
4.6.3 - maybe using a different version will help.

In any case, thanks for trying. I'm very interested in further
feedback as I don't have any time to test it at the moment.

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/8deb7b4c-9dd2-4fee-a6ae-3eca6ea78dc2%40googlegroups.com.

Frans Meulenbroeks

Sep 3, 2013, 3:17:31 PM9/3/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
HI Alex,

Thanks for your help.
I have rebuild locally and now rtl_fm works (at least does not give an FP exception).
If you'd like a copy of my tree (objects + exe) let me know.
gcc is also 4.6.3.
No idea yet what the difference causes.

Next step is to take the whole setup outside, the flimsy antenna is definitely not good enough to receive anything useful indoors

(btw that is also a reason why I'd like to build on arm. It would allow using a $ 35 minipc stick and keep that in the attic, close to the antenna).

Frans

2013/9/1 Alexandru Csete <oz9...@gmail.com>
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Gqrx SDR" group.

Alexandru Csete

Sep 4, 2013, 3:41:02 PM9/4/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Frans,

Thanks for the update. I will look into this as soon as I can.

Alex
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CACW_hTZtM1AyCko3TmQat0Q5FDgf_jzoa%3Dnz54JDwLGNRTPftA%40mail.gmail.com.

Jasper Ragworth

Sep 13, 2013, 6:52:38 PM9/13/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I have managed to shoehorn the Raring packages into a Debian Testing install as follows:

Add

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/gqrx/releases/ubuntu raring main

to /etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get update
apt-cache show gqrx

apt-get install all of the dependencies of gqrx.

Watch the output of apt-get install when it's downloading. It will pull some of the deps from the Debian repo instead of the Ubuntu PPA. For many of these, you need the PPA ones or gqrx won't run. So, for each of them, apt-cache show <package> | grep Version and look at the various versions available, eg libvolk0.0.0:

Version: 3.7.1-1
Version: 3.7.0+1git20130729-g5eaeaa42-0ubuntu0~gqrx~raring5
Version: 3.5.3.2-1

using my intuition I know what version we need, so we just

apt-get install libvolk0.0.0=3.7.0+1git20130729-g5eaeaa42-0ubuntu0~gqrx~raring5

Then, we need to edit the gqrx package. I downloaded http://ppa.launchpad.net/gqrx/releases/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gqrx/gqrx_2.2.0-0ubuntu0~raring1_amd64.deb , extracted it with dpkg-deb, and edited the control file. In that file, on the Depends: line, I had to change

libpulse0 (>= 1:0.99.1)

libpulse0 (>= 0.99.1)

because the Ubuntu version of libpulse0 is numbered with a 1: at the beginning, and the Debian version is not. I then rebuilt the package with dpkg-deb and installed it with dpkg -i.

After removing various crud from /usr/local/lib I am able to use gqrx installed from the packages. And no, the above was not harder than building it from source ;-)

Alexandru Csete

Sep 14, 2013, 4:09:19 AM9/14/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Jasper,

Thanks for the info. You should also be able to use the 3.7.1 version
since it is also from the PPA (I updated recently) and in any case,
the version should be fine even if it comes from debian repository.

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/b59ae451-89c7-4b1f-bfa0-a3e8f40fd3d3%40googlegroups.com.

Ken Harris

Oct 3, 2013, 12:25:05 AM10/3/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Hello.

I'm trying to install gqrx on a Nexus 7 running Ubuntu Touch.

/etc/media-info says :
Ubuntu Saucy Salamander (development branch) - armhf (20130929)

I tried :

apt-add-repository ppa:gqrx/snapshots
apt-get install gqrx

... but got :

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package gqrx

Alexandru Csete

Oct 3, 2013, 4:41:57 AM10/3/13
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,

The builds for saucy failed last time I tried (on all architectures)
plus there are issues with some packages on saucy and in particular
armhf. You can check status if you click "package details" i.e.
https://launchpad.net/~gqrx/+archive/snapshots/+packages

I will try to fix and/or patch them during October to have them
available for the official 13.10 release but those who depend on gqrx
PPA should probably watch out before upgrading to 13.10.

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/e9da9a47-bd13-421e-af10-9cf6bde6e407%40googlegroups.com.

Larry DiGioia

Feb 17, 2014, 1:10:14 PM2/17/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Getting ready to run gqrx with my FCD-Pro+, and I am not clear - for Debian stable, should I use the Ubuntu PPA or compile? Thanks.

Alexandru Csete

Feb 17, 2014, 3:40:14 PM2/17/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Larry,

I am not sure if / how the PPA would work with debian stable. It is
worth a try though I don't think the "ppa:gqrx/snapshots" URL will
work with the debian package manager. A quick google search suggests
it should indeed be possible, see e.g.
http://www.binarytides.com/add-ubuntu-ppa-repository-to-debian-7-wheezy/

Please note that many people are having problems with using the FCD
Pro+ on linux:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/issues/91

This appears to be a controller/kernel issue and nothinf we can fix in gqrx :(

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/6cc49e3a-4311-4edc-b75c-f25728087165%40googlegroups.com.

Larry DiGioia

Feb 17, 2014, 5:56:58 PM2/17/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I should have no problem with the USB issue, I have plenty of
options, including USB3.

Sorry to be so picky but, why is the PPA "worth a try?" As I read over
the instructions, it looks to me like compiling would actually be
easier. So what, if any, is the advantage of the PPA? Thanks.
--
"All progress has resulted from people who took unpopular positions."

Adlai E. Stevenson (1900-1965)

Alexandru Csete

Feb 17, 2014, 6:15:03 PM2/17/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Larry DiGioia <chmo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like I should have no problem with the USB issue, I have plenty of
> options, including USB3.
>
> Sorry to be so picky but, why is the PPA "worth a try?" As I read over the
> instructions, it looks to me like compiling would actually be easier. So
> what, if any, is the advantage of the PPA? Thanks.

You know you will have to compile the whole gnuradio 3.7 system as
well - 3.6 or 3.5 will not work.

You can also try the debian package from testing
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/gqrx-sdr

Alex

Larry DiGioia

Feb 17, 2014, 7:49:25 PM2/17/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
OK, I give. I am going to build a Debian Testing computer. That's what
it's for! Thanks.

Simon Kennedy

Feb 18, 2014, 1:37:14 AM2/18/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

for what it's worth I cannot get gqrx (from git) to compile with the latest version of gnuradio compiled (I wasn't going to raise it here until I had done some more investigation but it seems relevant).

I get the error:
06:12:47: Running steps for project gqrx...
06:12:47: Configuration unchanged, skipping qmake step.
06:12:47: Starting: "/usr/bin/make"
g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DVERSION="\"2.2\"" -DWITH_PULSEAUDIO -D_REENTRANT -DQT_SVG_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I../gqrx-2.2.0 -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtSvg -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/gnuradio -I/usr/local/include/osmosdr -I. -I. -I../gqrx-2.2.0 -I. -o main.o ../gqrx-2.2.0/applications/gqrx/main.cpp
In file included from /usr/local/include/gnuradio/math.h:30:0,
                 from /usr/include/c++/4.8/cmath:44,
                 from /usr/include/c++/4.8/complex:44,
                 from /usr/local/include/pmt/pmt.h:30,
                 from /usr/local/include/gnuradio/messages/msg_accepter.h:26,
                 from /usr/local/include/gnuradio/msg_accepter.h:26,
                 from /usr/local/include/gnuradio/basic_block.h:28,
                 from /usr/local/include/gnuradio/block.h:27,
                 from /usr/local/include/gnuradio/sync_block.h:27,
                 from /usr/local/include/gnuradio/blocks/multiply_const_ff.h:29,
                 from ../gqrx-2.2.0/applications/gqrx/receiver.h:28,
                 from ../gqrx-2.2.0/applications/gqrx/mainwindow.h:44,
                 from ../gqrx-2.2.0/applications/gqrx/main.cpp:30:
/usr/include/c++/4.8/cmath:102:11: error: '::acos' has not been declared
   using ::acos;
           ^
/usr/include/c++/4.8/cmath:121:11: error: '::asin' has not been declared
   using ::asin;

This has been reported as a gnuradio error last year, and supposedly fixed in gnuradio 3.7.2 but seemingly not.

I used the build-gnuradio script with the -m (use latest master option).

As far as I know I am using the same compile/install method as previously (lubuntu 13.10)

Which I guess is a way of saying that installing from source is not straightforward!

Regards
Simon.

Alexandru Csete

Feb 18, 2014, 8:02:32 AM2/18/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

I have just tried to rebuild everything with the latest sources (using
pybombs) and I have no problems with compiling gqrx. Nor do I recall
seeing such issue for a long time - not that I have been rebuilding
everything weekly...

Regarding your situation I have a few remarks:

(1) You say you are building gqrx from git; however, the compiler
output suggests it is the 2.2 release you are building. This shouldn't
make any difference though.

(2) You should be aware, that when you use build-gnuradio it will
compile and install the latest version without removing any prior
installations. This can lead to conflicting libraries and header files
in time, which is very difficult to clean up. I would strongly
recommend switching to pybombs asap (still need to clean old gnuradio
installation).

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/CACopv_j0LmXC3JgxQFrgZebcV4jJKRegaa%2BvWgqEx3xqJ_ezDA%40mail.gmail.com.

Simon Kennedy

Feb 18, 2014, 1:42:18 PM2/18/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

thanks for your insight. I did have 2.3 from git but also some older versions around. I think I will reinstall the OS and then start using pybombs to avoid these problems in the future.

For now I have installed 2.2 from the PPA. I look forward to having a play with 2.3 when I have done the reinstall.

I was trying to prove that gqrx works on a Samsug N150 netbook with an Atom processor (2 x N450 @ 1.66Ghz) and 1GB RAM. I know it does because I have successfully used it last year, but I am finding that using a RTL2382 dongle the audio gets chopped up a bit. I don't have my FunCube Dongle with me at the moment nor access to a decent antenna so my testing is limited to broadcast FM stations. I'll do some more tests in the next couple of weeks.

Simon.
Simon.

Alexandru Csete

Feb 18, 2014, 4:50:46 PM2/18/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Simon Kennedy <si...@thekennedys.info> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> thanks for your insight. I did have 2.3 from git but also some older
> versions around. I think I will reinstall the OS and then start using
> pybombs to avoid these problems in the future.

When you do be sure to use a private prefix in your home directory.
That way you will have the whole gnuradio stuff installed isolated
from the rest of the system and there will be no conflicts. And there
is also a recipe for building gqrx from git.

> For now I have installed 2.2 from the PPA. I look forward to having a play
> with 2.3 when I have done the reinstall.
>
> I was trying to prove that gqrx works on a Samsug N150 netbook with an Atom
> processor (2 x N450 @ 1.66Ghz) and 1GB RAM. I know it does because I have
> successfully used it last year, but I am finding that using a RTL2382 dongle
> the audio gets chopped up a bit. I don't have my FunCube Dongle with me at
> the moment nor access to a decent antenna so my testing is limited to
> broadcast FM stations. I'll do some more tests in the next couple of weeks.

That setup should be all right with a funcube dongle but perhaps not
with an rtl-sdr. Also note that FM demodulation in gqrx requires more
CPU than AM or SSB.

Alex

Mike Stucka

Mar 4, 2014, 12:36:42 PM3/4/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
One minor problem with both PPAs: They're not getting the dependency on QT. I tried it on a clean install of Xubuntu 12.04 and was missing the top row of icons first in the releases branch and then in the snapshots branch. All the other dependencies were properly provided for.

I think this'll work great for my father. Thank you.

Mike

Alexandru Csete

Mar 4, 2014, 2:03:21 PM3/4/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Mike Stucka <stu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One minor problem with both PPAs: They're not getting the dependency on QT.
> I tried it on a clean install of Xubuntu 12.04 and was missing the top row
> of icons first in the releases branch and then in the snapshots branch. All
> the other dependencies were properly provided for.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't know how a dependency
could be missed. The packages are built on Ubuntu project's machines
running that particular OS. Perhaps it is more a matter of
incompatibility between versions; perhaps it was not a good idea to
SVG format for icons... If you know which qt package needed to be
installed I can try to look into it.

PS: The next version of Ubuntu 14.04 will have gqrx included, so no
more need for my packages.

Alex

Rob Frohne

Mar 4, 2014, 2:34:02 PM3/4/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike and Alex,

I have a question regarding how it works to have gqrx installed from packages, but gnuradio from source.  The script I use for installing gnuradio, removes all packages.  I install from source, because gnuradio 3.7 is changing very rapidly, and I use it for other things as well as gqrx.  The last time I tried to build gqrx, there were some difficulties.

What do you recommend?

73,

Rob
KL7NA

Alexandru Csete

Mar 4, 2014, 5:13:57 PM3/4/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM, Rob Frohne <rob.f...@wallawalla.edu> wrote:
> Hi Mike and Alex,
>
> I have a question regarding how it works to have gqrx installed from
> packages, but gnuradio from source. The script I use for installing
> gnuradio, removes all packages. I install from source, because gnuradio 3.7
> is changing very rapidly, and I use it for other things as well as gqrx.
> The last time I tried to build gqrx, there were some difficulties.

Hi Rob,

The gqrx binary from the PPA depends on the binary packages in the
PPA, or any newer package installed through the package manager. If
you remove the gnuradio or any other dependencies, gqrx will be
removed automatically. If you build gnuradio from source, you must
also build all the rest from source.

> What do you recommend?

I can only recommend that you try to understand what's going on when
gnuradio & co is built and installed from source. It may take some
time, but once you understand it, it will be a piece of cake mastering
multiple installations.

Alex

Mike Stucka

Mar 4, 2014, 8:21:09 PM3/4/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Rob, can you give details on your compilation problems?

Alex, the qt package I picked probably wasn't optimal because it installed about 80mb of other stuff including docs. Thunk it was qt-sdk or similar. I was in a rush. =)

Rob Frohne

Mar 5, 2014, 1:02:39 AM3/5/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

See my post on February 25. I tried it again after a git pull and I
still have the same issues for some reason.

73,

Rob
KL7NA

Rob Frohne

Mar 5, 2014, 2:03:47 AM3/5/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
And on the off chance that it would help, I downloaded Qt 5.2.1. The
funny thing is that I can't tell any difference between the iqSwapButton
and the agcButton by looking at the form or the xml for the form or even
the ui_dockinputctl.h. I've changed the object name. I just can't
figure out what is different.

73,

Rob

Alexandru Csete

Mar 5, 2014, 5:01:57 AM3/5/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 8:03 AM, Rob Frohne <rob.f...@wallawalla.edu> wrote:
> And on the off chance that it would help, I downloaded Qt 5.2.1. The funny
> thing is that I can't tell any difference between the iqSwapButton and the
> agcButton by looking at the form or the xml for the form or even the
> ui_dockinputctl.h. I've changed the object name. I just can't figure out
> what is different.

I'll take a look at it if I get the time or interest; however, since
not even the next Ubuntu will ship with Qt 5.2 it's not high on my
list, sorry.

Alex

Alexandru Csete

Mar 13, 2014, 6:21:45 AM3/13/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I have now downloaded and installed Qt 5.2.1. I have installed it
isolated from everything else so that I have to specify the full path
to access the commands. Gqrx builds and runs fine without any errors.
Thus, I suspect you must have multiple versions of Qt installed where
the tools are conflicting with each other.

Alex

Rob Frohne

Mar 13, 2014, 7:46:08 AM3/13/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex,

I'll check it out. I do have multiple versions installed, so you are
probably right.

Rob
--
Rob Frohne, PhD, PE
Professor

Rob Frohne

Mar 14, 2014, 12:57:31 AM3/14/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

I found that the build-gnuradio script I'm using installs the qt4-dev stuff.  I don't think that was the problem though.  The thing that solved my problem was to rm -rf gqrx and then:
git clone git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr.git
and then build it.  Now I'm trying to remember how to make my rtl-sdr dongle work with it again.  :-)

Tnx & 73,

Rob
KL7NA

Rob Frohne

Mar 14, 2014, 1:31:08 AM3/14/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
It works well after removing the kernel modules that were trying to use the dongle as a TV receiver.

Thanks for all the assistance!

73,

Rob

Lopez Canepa

Jun 26, 2015, 12:17:46 PM6/26/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for your effort. I followed the instructions on 1204 and at the end I got:

 /var/cache/apt/archives/graphviz_2.26.3-10ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb

gqrx opens and receives (apparently) but if I change the no decoding to narrow fm it crashes.

I do not know what to do.
Thanks,
Carlos.

Robin Gape

Jun 28, 2015, 10:35:07 AM6/28/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Carlos,

1) the error with package graphviz should not affect gqrx, since it is not required for gqrx

2) Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) is slightly out-of-date, but it should still run gqrx, and I've used it for that in the past

3) your problem is difficult to resolve further without more, and specific, detail

HTH

Robin, G8DQX

Phil Berg

Jul 10, 2015, 10:00:01 AM7/10/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
The PPA install does not seem to work - can't find GQRX even with correct repositories set up.

The download from the GQRX main page is not working "cannot find GQRX"

I have been successful installing several times using the following:

apt-get install git cmake libusb-1.0-0.dev build-essential
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gqrx/releases
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install gqrx gnuradio gr-osmosdr
sudo apt-get install rtl-sdr

To run, in terminal "gqrx"

If you run into installing troubles (for example a 'Held packages' type message),

possibly because of existing packages previously installed, do a:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If SDR radio fails to install:

git clone git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr.git
cd rtl-sdr/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../ -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON
make
make install
ldconfig

-------------- Hope this helps someone else who is going nuts over how to install this fantastic software! Keep up this great project!

Robin Gape

Jul 10, 2015, 4:44:39 PM7/10/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Phil,

you haven't said which version of Ubuntu you're using. The behaviour that you're seeing would occur if the version is Vivid Vervet (15.04). For that version of Ubuntu, try the snapshot repository at https://launchpad.net/~gqrx/+archive/ubuntu/snapshots, which has suitable builds.

HTH

Robin, G8DQX

Phil Berg

Jul 27, 2015, 5:21:05 PM7/27/15
to Gqrx SDR, robi...@googlemail.com
I guess the version would have helped. I am actually using Ubuntu 14.04. All seems to be working just fine now, per my previous post.

Phil

John Bras

Jun 4, 2016, 10:23:25 PM6/4/16
to Gqrx SDR
Dear Alexandru,

I followed the instructions here: http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu
for my RTL-SDR (EzTV668 USB DVB-T Stick with FM)

My system:
Ubuntu 14.04 (trusty) Kernel 3.13.0-87-generic
Intel Core2Duo CPU...@1.86GHz
8GB Ram
SATA HDD
Nvidia GeForce GT 610 driver=nouveau (just to be safe)

I plug the USB RTL-SDR and it works fine with Gqrx

Problems:

When I open a terminal and run "volk_profile" I get the following error:

volk_profile: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_filesystem.so.1.48.0:

I then did a the following at prompt tried to run "gnuradio-companion" and I get the following error:

Cannot import gnuradio.

Is the python path environment variable set correctly?
    All OS: PYTHONPATH

Is the library path environment variable set correctly?
    Linux: LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    Windows: PATH
    MacOSX: DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

The path /usr/local/lib has the following output for "ls"
libgnuradio-analog-3.6.5git.so         libgnuradio-osmosdr.so
libgnuradio-analog-3.6.5git.so.0       libgnuradio-pager-3.6.5git.so
libgnuradio-analog-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0   libgnuradio-pager-3.6.5git.so.0
libgnuradio-analog.so                  libgnuradio-pager-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0
libgnuradio-atsc-3.6.5git.so           libgnuradio-pager.so
libgnuradio-atsc-3.6.5git.so.0         libgnuradio-qtgui-3.6.5git.so
libgnuradio-atsc-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0     libgnuradio-qtgui-3.6.5git.so.0
libgnuradio-atsc.so                    libgnuradio-qtgui-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0
libgnuradio-audio-3.6.5git.so          libgnuradio-qtgui.so
libgnuradio-audio-3.6.5git.so.0        libgnuradio-trellis-3.6.5git.so
libgnuradio-audio-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0    libgnuradio-trellis-3.6.5git.so.0
libgnuradio-audio.so                   libgnuradio-trellis-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0
libgnuradio-baz.la                     libgnuradio-trellis.so
libgnuradio-baz.so                     libgnuradio-uhd-3.6.5git.so
libgnuradio-baz.so.0                   libgnuradio-uhd-3.6.5git.so.0
libgnuradio-baz.so.0.0.0               libgnuradio-uhd-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0
libgnuradio-blocks-3.6.5git.so         libgnuradio-uhd.so
libgnuradio-blocks-3.6.5git.so.0       libgnuradio-video-sdl-3.6.5git.so
libgnuradio-blocks-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0   libgnuradio-video-sdl-3.6.5git.so.0
libgnuradio-blocks.so                  libgnuradio-video-sdl-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0
libgnuradio-core-3.6.5git.so           libgnuradio-video-sdl.so
libgnuradio-core-3.6.5git.so.0         libgnuradio-vocoder-3.6.5git.so
libgnuradio-core-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0     libgnuradio-vocoder-3.6.5git.so.0
libgnuradio-core.so                    libgnuradio-vocoder-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0
libgnuradio-digital-3.6.5git.so        libgnuradio-vocoder.so
libgnuradio-digital-3.6.5git.so.0      libgnuradio-wavelet-3.6.5git.so
libgnuradio-digital-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0  libgnuradio-wavelet-3.6.5git.so.0
libgnuradio-digital.so                 libgnuradio-wavelet-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0
libgnuradio-extras.so                  libgnuradio-wavelet.so
libgnuradio-fcd-3.6.5git.so            libgruel-3.6.5git.so
libgnuradio-fcd-3.6.5git.so.0          libgruel-3.6.5git.so.0
libgnuradio-fcd-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0      libgruel-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0
libgnuradio-fcd.so                     libgruel.so
libgnuradio-fft-3.6.5git.so            librtlsdr.a
libgnuradio-fft-3.6.5git.so.0          librtlsdr.so
libgnuradio-fft-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0      librtlsdr.so.0
libgnuradio-fft.so                     librtlsdr.so.0.0.0
libgnuradio-filter-3.6.5git.so         libuhd.so
libgnuradio-filter-3.6.5git.so.0       libuhd.so.003
libgnuradio-filter-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0   libuhd.so.003.005
libgnuradio-filter.so                  libvolk.so
libgnuradio-noaa-3.6.5git.so           libvolk.so.0.0.0
libgnuradio-noaa-3.6.5git.so.0         pkgconfig
libgnuradio-noaa-3.6.5git.so.0.0.0     python2.7
libgnuradio-noaa.so                    python3.4
libgnuradio-osmosdr-0.0.1git.so        R
libgnuradio-osmosdr-0.0.1git.so.0      site_ruby
libgnuradio-osmosdr-0.0.1git.so.0.0.0  uhd

My question:

How can I use gnuradio-companion with this PPA installed ?

Alexandru Csete

Jun 5, 2016, 8:08:53 AM6/5/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Gnuradio-companion is installed with the gnuradio package. Once
installed, the binary is located in /usr/bin/ and has version number
3.7.9.

Clearly, you have an old gnuradio 3.6.5 installation in /usr/local/
that I am guessing you have installed from source. Such installation
will always be in conflict with binary installations unless special
precautions are taken. So, I would strongly recommend that you
uninstall it.

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/bc515003-f4bc-4bed-bcc6-6462ea453c53%40googlegroups.com.

Robin Gape

Jun 5, 2016, 9:11:51 AM6/5/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
John,

following on from what Alex has written, you probably have 2 versions of GNU Radio installed. If you check with synaptic (or your preferred alternative) there is probably already a version 3.7.9 of gnuradio installed, as a dependency of gqrx-sdr.

The problem of local compilation & installs interfering with installs from a repository can be alleviated by the use of checkinstall, which effectively provides a package name and version to the local package database for locally installed software.

When choosing between a local or repository version of some package, generally the PATH will be set to pick up locally installed packages first, something like:
$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
which I believe is the default desktop Ubuntu PATH environmental variable.

If one checks for how many copies of volk_profile exist, with something like:
$ locate volk_profile | grep /usr
/usr/bin/volk_profile
/usr/share/man/man1/volk_profile.1.gz
then there should be only 2 lines of reply, as above. If there are 4 (or 3), then the problem is well and truly identified!

There is a very strong hint that all is not well in the library objects all being of the form:
libgnuradio-blah-3.6.5git.so

Very few repository packages will have git in their version number (769 out of 47959 on this local system).

HTH,

Robin, G8DQX

John Bras

Jun 10, 2016, 11:51:43 PM6/10/16
to Gqrx SDR
Dear Alex,

Wow! This was fastest reply I have received. Thank you.

Yes, you are correct.  I had some left over from previous "makes" and I had a tough work to find and remove all "the lost pieces".

Also I encountered some problems removing old packages that I tried to build from source.

The "make uninstall" was not nice to me...so I had to remove and reinstall BOOST_LIB

To make a long story sort I had to:

first,

sudo apt-get --purge remove libboost-dev
sudo apt
-get --purge remove libboost-all-dev
sudo apt
-get autoremove

second:

sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev

Go to each place where I downloaded and build the packages and issued a:

make uninstall

Then I used synaptic package manager to pinpoint the last ones and purge them.

After that, I used a known script to list all my PPA for a final check.

Finally I was able to:
sudo apt-get install gqrx-sdr

And it worked!

Thank you.

I also tested my new dongle: NooElec NESDR Nano2+ and it worked right out-of-the-box!

The NESDR Nano 2+ is based on the R820T2 tuner IC made by Rafael Micro, which means an approximate tuning range of 25MHz-1700MHz and improved selectivity and sensitivity in most frequency ranges versus R820T-based SDRs. There is also an RTL2832 (RTL2832U) IC on board of course, to provide basic demodulation and USB interface functionality

It is much better then my prior EzCap EzTV668 USB 2.0 DVT-T Stick. EzCap EzTV668 that has the RTL2832 and the E4000 Tuner Chip has much noise in the center freq. so you need to use only the side bands away from center.

John Bras

Jun 10, 2016, 11:53:30 PM6/10/16
to Gqrx SDR
Dear Robin,