NooElec NESDR (TV28T) and Yosemite :(

David Johnson

May 19, 2015, 3:59:25 PM5/19/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I've had several frustrating hours trying to get my shiny new NooElec NESDR kit to talk with gqrx. The gqrx app runs and shows static, but no stations show, and I get no sound; seems that it can't find the dongle.

In Googling the issue, I thought I might need GNURadio. I've done the MacPorts/X11 install for it, which seemed to go well, but I can't figure out how to get it to find the NooElec either; commands like uhd_fft terminate with "KeyError: No devices found for ----->"

I'm hoping that I just need settings in gqrx to get it to find the device, but I can't find the info anywhere. Help!!!

Thanks VERY much in advance!

David

Alexandru Csete

May 19, 2015, 4:57:07 PM5/19/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
If you see static then gqrx does talk to the device... Well some
device. Static can't come from nowhere. So it could be something as
trivial as device gain setting. That usually solves 90% of the "can't
receive anything" cases.

However, I am very, very confused about the fact that you install
gnuradio AFTER you installed gqrx... How is that possible? When you
install gqrx via macports it does install gnuradio as a dependency, so
how did you installed gqrx?

UHD is the driver for Ettus hardware and has nothing to do rtl-sdr
(assuming that NESDR is an rtlsdr device).

Alex