Problem with NooElec NESDR SMArt

n8mensch1

Aug 20, 2016, 3:31:35 AM8/20/16
to Gqrx SDR
Greetings,

hope anyone can help me with my Problem? Yesterday my new NooElec NESDR arrived, when i first started GQRX i've had no problem getting it running and listening to all kinds of stuff allover the different frequencies. After unplugging the device and restarting my MacBook i only have the preselected Items in the dropdown menu and no rtl-sdr device.

I've reinstalled GQRX 2.5.3-2 but it's still not working, also tried CubicSDR with the same results, no rtl-sdr device found.
When i run rtl_test it shows no supported device found?

I'm running a MacBook Pro with OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Markus

Alexandru Csete

Aug 22, 2016, 5:30:08 PM8/22/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Well, if no software is working with the dongle it sounds like some
hardware issue.

Try the dongle on another computer and/or try another dongle on this
computer. There is not much else to do.

Alex

ChuckR

Aug 24, 2016, 10:22:21 AM8/24/16
to Gqrx SDR
I assume you did plug the dongle back in after restarting :).
To check if the computer is recognizing the device, go tot the Apple menu and select "About this Mac" and select the "System Report" button, which launches the "System Information" app.
In the report window left side, under "Hardware," select "USB".
In the right side window, under "USB Device Tree" is listed what USB devices, internal and external, are being seen by the computer. Under "Hub" you should see "RTL2838UHIDIR"
If that is there, Clicking on it will show this in the bottom pane:

RTL2838UHIDIR:

  Product ID: 0x2838
  Vendor ID: 0x0bda  (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)
  Version: 1.00
  Serial Number: 00000001
  Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer: Realtek
  Location ID: 0xfa130000 / 1
  Current Available (mA): 1000
  Current Required (mA): 500
  Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

If you do not see any of the above either dongle is not working or there is a problem with the USB port.

FYI I'm using MBPro (late 2011) w El Cap 10.11.6, have been using both Gqrx and CubicSDR with the NooElec dongle. I also have the "HamItUp" prescaler.

Chuck
WV8A