Gqrx 2.6 new requirement of Qt5 on Centos6 - understanding the actual dependencies

David Ranch

Oct 6, 2016, 2:03:25 PM10/6/16
to Gqrx SDR

Hey Alex,

I'm updating my Centos HamPacket documentation to support Gqrx 2.6.0.  In the past, I was using Qt-4.8 via the following RPMs to build it:

   sudo rpm -ivh --force qt-4.8.4-14.el6.x86_64.rpm qt-x11-4.8.4-14.el6.x86_64.rpm qt-devel-4.8.4-14.el6.x86_64.rpm

With Qt5, things are packaged differently and I was curious if you had any thoughts of which of these NEW packages are *really required* to be installed (there are other packages as well but I don't think they are needed):

   sudo yum install qt5-qtbase.x86_64 qt5-qtbase-common.noarch qt5-qtbase-devel.x86_64 qt5-qtbase-gui.x86_64 qt5-qtx11extras.x86_64 qt5-qtx11extras-devel.x86_64

Also, would it be possible for you to send me the output of "ldd gqrx" from one of your Ubuntu machines you compiled Gqrx 2.6 on?  That would be helpful as well.

--David
KI6ZHD

Alexandru Csete

Oct 6, 2016, 3:00:02 PM10/6/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 8:03 PM, David Ranch <dra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With Qt5, things are packaged differently and I was curious if you had any
> thoughts of which of these NEW packages are *really required* to be
> installed (there are other packages as well but I don't think they are
> needed):
>
> sudo yum install qt5-qtbase.x86_64 qt5-qtbase-common.noarch
> qt5-qtbase-devel.x86_64 qt5-qtbase-gui.x86_64 qt5-qtx11extras.x86_64
> qt5-qtx11extras-devel.x86_64

Hi David,

I don't think the devel packages are needed unless you want to
compile. The require Qt components are listed in the beginning of the
gqrx.pro file:

QT += core gui network widgets

How this translates to packages in Centos I can not tell you

> Also, would it be possible for you to send me the output of "ldd gqrx" from
> one of your Ubuntu machines you compiled Gqrx 2.6 on? That would be helpful
> as well.

I have attached the output of ldd. As you can see, there is one
library per component, so I would expect similar packaging in Centos.

Alex
ldd-gqrx.txt

David Ranch

Oct 6, 2016, 5:48:24 PM10/6/16
to Gqrx SDR

Hello Alex,

I don't think the devel packages are needed unless you want to
compile. The require Qt components are listed in the beginning of the
gqrx.pro file:

Well, unless you want to publish RPMs for Centos6, I have to build them!  ;-)

QT += core gui network widgets

The compile went fine though note the significantly slower compile times!  I image this is due to Qt5 vs Qt4 and this makes me worried that Qt5 is a lot more bloated.  I'll just have to run Gqrx and see how it performs:

    #  Gqrx 2.6   with Qt-5.6.1 build time: 5 min 08 seconds on a dual core i5-2420 2.4Ghz laptop with 4GB RAM and a SSD
    #  Gqrx 2.5.3 with Qt-4.8.4 build time: 1 min 49 seconds on a dual core i5-2420 2.4Ghz laptop with 4GB RAM and a SSD

Btw, various different projects out there print out a summary of what their ./configuration stage found and will try to build.  Case in point, I'm not a PulseAudio fan either and my system has PortAudio installed but the qmake stage of Gqrx didn't really tell me much more than the following:
--
+ qmake-qt5 gqrx.pro
Project MESSAGE: No prefix given. Using /usr/local

As an example, here is the output from Fldigi.    Could a summary like this be added to Gqrx as well?  Any idea how to enable PortAudio?

--
config.status: creating po/Makefile

Configuration summary:

  Version ..................... 3.23.14

  Static linking .............. no
  CPU optimizations ........... native
  Debugging ................... no

  fldigi ...................... yes
  flarq ....................... yes

  i18n ........................ yes

 fldigi build options:

  sndfile ..................... yes
  oss ......................... yes
  portaudio ................... yes
  pulseaudio .................. yes

  flxmlrpc .................... yes

  hamlib ...................... yes
--

--David

Alexandru Csete

Oct 6, 2016, 6:28:55 PM10/6/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
> Any idea how to enable PortAudio?

Add AUDIO_BACKEND=portaudio to the qmake command. See the beginning of
gqrx.pro for the other options.

Alex

David Ranch

Oct 9, 2016, 7:16:52 PM10/9/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Hey Alex,

Curious, if I change that backend variable, does that disable PulseAudio?  Is there a way to keep both systems in the build and just select which to use via the config?

--David

Alexandru Csete

Oct 9, 2016, 7:30:56 PM10/9/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 1:16 AM, David Ranch <dra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Alex,
>
> Curious, if I change that backend variable, does that disable PulseAudio?

It does not disable PulseAudio on your system, it will simply not have
pulseaudio support.

> Is there a way to keep both systems in the build and just select which to
> use via the config?

It is not possible in gqrx, but there is usually an ALSA device called
"pulse" which is basically a pulseaudio output acting as an ALSA
device.

Alex